Downmat alternatives

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Bugger, my long serving original Downmat 7 has started delaminating...at least it's occurred before the first snow trip rather than on the trip.

I haven't been keeping up with advancements in mats, should i just get another downmat or are there better/different alternatives these days? What are you using?
Thanks

Reactions: Ben_Jamin

Slowman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 10, 2016
Bugger, my long serving original Downmat 7 has started delaminating...at least it's occurred before the first snow trip rather than on the trip.

I haven't been keeping up with advancements in mats, should i just get another downmat or are there better/different alternatives these days? What are you using?
Thanks
I have been using a Thermarest Neo Air All Seasons for a while. It seems fine. Packs up nice and small. I also always carry a repair kit.

Reactions: ladycamper and Time

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
IMG_7109.jpg

Reactions: Slowman

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Can't top Exped downmat in 1st place, with Thermarest 2nd. Open question whether Thermarest is tougher, but the Exped series has the better insulation, and more of a size range.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
I've never had an issue with my neo air and I have used it in all seasons and in some pretty frosty situations.

I'm pretty sure the r rating (whatever that is), is in the 5's, I'm not sure how this compares to the downmats. The Neo's would have to be lighter and pack smaller.

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

satanas

Addicted
May 26, 2005
I'd say anything is preferable to an Expletive Deleted, er Down mat - they seem to be horribly unreliable, bulky, expensive, hard to inflate, etc. They are warm, but so are other things. If bought locally you could try getting a warranty replacement, but IME the importers (and those for Thermarest) are unlikely to be helpful.

The nails would be more compact, and wouldn't deflate...

AndrewA

One of Us
Jun 26, 2012
Melbourne
Not had any issues with my Exped mats to date. My "Big Agnes" synmat seems to leak, but this is the first issue I've ever had.

A

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I shared a tent with a bloke who had a down mat. It was. Very noisey, used to keep me awake at night.

satanas

Addicted
May 26, 2005
FWIW: A group of us all had Downer Mats. 4 out of the 5 failed; the last belonged to a partner, and saw only a few days use. The importers were not helpful when they broke. Now maybe I'm unreasonable, but I would have thought an expensive product should last more than two seasons before total failure; I've had old style Thermarests last 20+ years. OTOH, my 4 season NeoAir has some (non-fatal so far) issues which the agent refused to do anything about.

It seems to me that sleeping mats appear to be expendable items, with no real warranty if they fail early on. Note that I'm careful with gear, and don't expect warranty to cover abuse, but it should cover something...

Mark F

Hard Yards
Jun 16, 2017
Australian distributors offer very poor support and gouge consumers. MSR (Thermarest) have a very good reputation for customer support os as does Exped. If you want to buy a Thermarest or Exped look at a UK site such as ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk. Postage is cheap and service good.

Reactions: Chaeron

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I use an synthetically insulated EXPED SYNMAT, the long one with the built in pump. It is a chore to pump up but it is warm and comfy womfy. I have used it for green season hiking and BC snow camping here in Ozstriya as well as for high elevation trekking in NW India.
When my first one failed , (a baffle burst), with proof of purchase , I was given a replacement unit , under warranty, by the shop " Wilderness Equipment " in Box Hill , here in Melb.

Reactions: piolet

satanas

Addicted
May 26, 2005
I recently borrowed a Synmat after having problems with yet another mat - on its 2nd use, first time outdoors - and agree they're comfy. However, I couldn't make the pump work, and inflating by mouth is slow and annoying. Maybe the pump was defective(?), or else I was. The older style Thermarests are looking better to me all the time, even though they're slightly heavier; the bigggest issue for me is the extra bulk.

luke1234

One of Us
May 31, 2015
my backpack has a removable close cell foam mat as it's backrest, so I just combine that with a non-insulated mountain designs blow up mat (which packs super small) and that seems to work a treat!

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Fwiw, I found blowing up the old Downmat with the supplied stuffsack very easy, but it was the original type, dunno if it was any different to later systems.

ladycamper

One of Us
Jul 16, 2010
Australia
As long as there's not overhanging vegetation on the trail to make bits break off, a 10mm foam roll provides basic redundancy in case of air mat failure and can be used for sitting on outside the tent.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
New mat arrived today. Very impressed with the Schnozzle bag inflation, 3 loosely filled bags and mat is inflated, much quicker than the old system. Not to mention the dedicated deflation valve, mat rolled up and back into stuffsack in no time.
Scales at work show just under 700gms for everything including the repair kit in the stufsack

Last edited:

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
Does the Sea 2 Summit comfort plus rate with you learned folk?
Very very highly but much warmer in the insulated version. I like the redundancy of the dual layers just in case and I find it easy to get comfortable by adjusting the pressures in each layer and like Ladycamper I always carry some sort of CCF pad or bubble wrap to protect the bottom of the mat from damage. I'm saving for another one in regular size as mine is large wide for snow camping. The S2S mats punch well above their weight

Peagreenboat

Addicted
Jul 9, 2015
I still love my Thermarest Neoair Max. It is so light and I did try the DownMat, but as another person on another forum said there appeared to be insulation missing from the sides: and I held it up in store to see this still seemed to be the case. As a person who sleeps on my front mostly with my leg hanging over the edge, I've found it warm and suprisingly stable and less bouncy than the other mats (though I know some like the cocooning feel of the Exped Downmat). The full version only weighs 490g and for me that was important. I sleep with it on tent carpet (and I'm a light sleeper), so there were no noise complaints on the snow, but I have not camped on a hard surface which I think might be a concern. It made such a huge difference on my previous insulated mat and I sleep better than on my mattress (which is weird)...

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Just adding a bit of feedback...used the Exped Synmat UL Winter for the first time on snow and very impressed. More comfortable than the Downmat 7, seems just as warm and is lighter and less bulky. Schnozzle bag works well.

Reactions: ladycamper

satanas

Addicted
May 26, 2005
The Neoair has now failed almost totally, with split seams towards one end giving an unwanted "pillow" bulge there. I've been using a Synmat in the interim and have a STS Comfort Plus insulated (regular, tapered) on order. I like the ideas of redundancy and no stupid pump, plus it's supposed to be 55cm wide rather than 51cm for the Neoair, which should be about right; the Synmat is a bit too huge in width, several cm wider, plus rectangular. STS have been good about warranty in the past too, so here's hoping...

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
I got a Synmat 7LW (Long Wide) for the Ziggette's desert camping and lord it's comfy.
But why the pump? Is hot breath corrosive?

Reactions: Chaeron

Time

Hard Yards
Aug 18, 2008
Neo Air Xtherm R Value 5.7 for Aus Winter and light weight winter trips
Xped down Matt 9 R Value 8 for stupid cold.

HIGHLY recoment the Neo Air X-therm. Have been EXTREMELY impressed and happy.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass