DPS Wailer A112 vs A110 (based on C2 Chassis)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Joysticks, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Joysticks

Joysticks First Runs

2. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Buy 'em. They are the most awarded ski of the past 10 years. They rock.

I may be biased.

Chaeron and Joysticks like this.
  3. Slowman

Slowman Addicted
    Ski Pass - Gold

I have used Wailer 112's in the previous Pure 3. They are very nice confidence inspiring skis for fresh snow of say 30cm depth or more and great to have in places like Japan or Canada - but in my view they are far too wide for Australian conditions. I doubt a 110 pair would be much different in this respect.

I have not skied on the new Alchemist construction but most reviewers seem to describe it as an improvement over the Pure 3.

I think the C2 "chassis" is what they have recently been using on the Cassiar line of skis which are basically meant for firmer and mixed snow. DPS seem to be very good at responding to customer emails - so you might ask them about what the special 110 build is designed for.

If you are looking at skis for Australian or NZ conditions I'd suggest trying some pairs from the Cassiar line. There is a thread from DPS Driver giving details of his forthcoming demo days. I have a pair of Cassiar 95's and have found them to be very good for our local conditions.

Joysticks likes this.
  4. Joysticks

Joysticks First Runs

With a username that you have, I think that's an understatement ;)

Thanks for the comments. These will mainly be for use in Japow, previously tried the Foundation 112s and they were a lot of fun but perhaps a bit too much damping vs responsiveness - hence my preferred choice of the Alchemist build. Always tempting to get the "latest & greatest" but "tried and tested" is a sure bet - thanks for the feedback, anymore please feel free!

5. Whatever really

Whatever really Hard Yards

From what I could make out the new 110 has a longer effective edge vs the Wailer 112 that has less effective edge due to the rocker.
    I think the wailer would be a bit more surfy

Joysticks likes this.
  6. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

The SE C110 will be like the love child of the W112 and the C95.

This was the goal. So what does this mean. Less playful than the W112, a little more traditional in feel with shorter rocker up front but still retaining enough Wailer DNA to be forgiving. I'm interested to see how it goes.

Joysticks likes this.
  7. Joysticks

Joysticks First Runs

They seem relatively close that it blurs the buying decision

8. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

I have the wailer 112RPC & spent a week plus skiing ice at Silverstar, it really was like skiing at home (Perisher) so challenging but I survived on these soft snow planks.

I do have a small library of wailers, the 99s are my goto in Oz.

So if Japan Pow iz the znow you zeek, go the 112.

If J + Oz is the plan go the 110.

Chaeron, DPS Driver and Joysticks like this.
  9. Whatever really

If only they made a Wailer of the 99/112 shape in the 106mm,
    I think it would be great as the 106 is not what I’d like.

DPS Driver likes this.
  10. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Stop it.

Have you skied it, the 106 that is? It's a lovely ski.

I'm not sure we need a 105 perse' that is the same shaping formula. I honestly believe its more mental than physical. Just look at the turn radius of both W99 is 16-19mtr whereas the W112 is 15-18mtr, so wider underfoot with shorter turn radius, They're closer than what you think.

I get your point though. So much so that I am questioning the same thing but where do you stop with design and iterations.

11. Whatever really

I’m sure the 106 is great but I think it’s more aligned with the Cassiar line.

12. Joysticks

Joysticks First Runs

Taking the plunge for the A112 Specials during Dreamtime and trying the Phantom base, roll on northern hemisphere winter!

DPS Driver likes this.
  13. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

You will be happy.

I ran into quite a few people sporting DPS at Thredbo last week and they all had glowing reports. I didn't tell any who I was until after they gave me the run down.

One interesting response was from a skier who had bought his when he was in Canada and when he got home after plenty of days on them gave them to a particular shop in Sydney for a tune and he said they totally stuffed it up. He had to take them to another shop near Jindy to get them fixed (tuned properly).

Good reminder, when getting your Alchemist skis tuned, tell the tech to read up on the DPS web site about edge and base bevel.

14. Joysticks

Joysticks First Runs

Thanks DPS Driver, will definitely keep that in mind. The top sheet on the 110 is pretty cool, wish I had room for two - next year haha :D

DPS Driver likes this.
  15. Joysticks

Joysticks First Runs

Can't seem to find any reference on their website about edge and bevel, you got a link by chance?

Thanks

16. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Yeah it's hard to find since they changed the web site. Just Google DPS Skis Tuning and Mounting, if required.

Wailers and Cassiars:
    1 degree base edge
    2 degree side edge

Don't detune the tip and tail. Our flex patterns are designed not to require detuning. Ski the ski first then if you feel you need it then perhaps consider it. I've never detuned mine.

Joysticks likes this.