1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Dried camping meals..

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by janus, Aug 15, 2005.

1. janus

janus One of Us

Bought a couple of those "2" serve (yeah right) camping meals from PP's, quite tasty I must say, however I was just wondering, is it possible to buy a machine which can dry food out at home, so say if I cooked up a Thai chicken curry, could I dry it out a day or two before leaving for the snow and then just add water like the packaged meals?

2. Shrek

Shrek Old n' Crusty

been quite a few threads on home drying of food. the machines are readily available.

3. Graeme

Graeme First Runs Endless Winter

certainly you can dry your own, but if you are buying, add some quick cooking carbs to what you get in the packet and you will make a real meal for 2 without much extra cost. Try couscous,some noodles (just add boiling water) or quick cooking rice or pasta will only need a few minutes simmer.

4. Sean

Sean First Runs

Dont forget good old DEB- instant mashed tatey!

5. Fangin'Wolvy

Fangin'Wolvy First Runs

why don't u buy that device that vacuum seals everything, so you can have texture and nutrients without the mash? boil to heat up in bag, open n serve on plate or in mug and 'dig-in'?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy First Runs Endless Winter

Mash? I dont get it, all the stuff I dry at home, maintains texture and shape, and the reason you dont just vacum seal it all? Weight and life span. Dried food, is much lighter, and lasts.

7. rizla

rizla Hard Yards

if you can't be bothered buying a dehy machine and going through the process (it is a bit labour intensive until you start doing it regularly) get the "chefsaway" dehy meals if you can, they're in a plain clear sachet. they are way bigger meals and taste waaaaay better than backcountry cuisine or other dehy brands (and their aussie made - tas I think). plus, they're either the same price or cheaper.. you can also add the little dehydrated peas/corn/beans sachets you can get from the supermarkt to make them bigger.