Driving all the way to the snow

dammit

Hard Yards
Jun 21, 2005
Sydney, NSW
Hi All

I am trying to find some info on getting to the snow & can't seem to find what I am trying to find out,

During ski season (particularly say late June, not right during the 'heavy heavy snow times') - is it still possible to drive a car to thredbo?

I am from Canberra & I am wondering if most people drive, catch buses there and back (Murrays or something), or drive to like jindabyne & catch a bus or something? How does everyone get there?

I have a 2wd sedan (nissan pulsar), do you always need snow chains or does it depend on snow fall? (how much do they cost to hire from a servo on the way? we are going to be staying in thredbo village overnight)

& I assume I will have to pay a $27/day vehicle entry fee into the national park to get to Thredbo??

Ive read some stuff about getting your car ready for the snow, like putting antifreeze in etc, is this necessary for all cars (even like a car thats only 2yrs old), or is it mainly for older cars? i assume the other thing u would need is good tyres/grip..?

Any other tips/info I might need to know? Thnx for all your helps
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

AlSki

First Runs
May 5, 2003
Gold Coast
Most people who drive to the snow would probably stay in Jindabyne & commute (drive themselves)-it's cheaper. A lot of people drive to the snow. You are in canberra-2 hrs & your on snow strapped into your ski's/board.Chains MUST be carried at all times in the winter season in the national park-it's LAW. Although rangers don't check but simply ask-it isn't worth the risk not to have them just in case & cheap enough to hire. Hire may be around $50 for 5 days? The Thredbo road is better than the Perisher road & negotiable most times in winter.In regard to anything mechanical refer to a qualified mechanic, however it is advisable to add anti-freeze to radiator.Hope this helps. AL

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
jet pack with skis on.

zzzzzzzzzz....

beep beep beep

i wake up.

its a recurring dream.

SnowMoo

First Runs
Jul 18, 2001
Canberra
I think anti freeze is only required for diesel cars. Maybe wrong on that one though.

Chains, well it's worth the risk not to take em. If it's sunny blue skies and hasn't snowed in days, then don't bother. The road will be clear as.

From Canberra it's an easy drive. Finish work on a Friday arvo, and you'll be safely esconed in your chalet by first drinks.

snowflake girl

First Runs
Mar 28, 2007
Australia
Anti frezee advised for all vehicles!!!! Not just diesel! Check the chain carrying policy, at Buller for example "Mt Buller's wheel chain requirements are decided on a daily basis and are determined by weather forecasts and existing road conditions. Chain requirements may vary between 2-Wheel Drive (2WD) and 4-Wheel Drive (4WD) and All-Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles, as each of these types of cars react differently to snow and icy road conditions.

Daily wheel chain requirements are communicated via the local accommodation providers, retail outlets and authorities who come into contact with people travelling to the Resort. They also appear on large flashing roadside billboards as you enter and leave Mansfield and on the daily snow report. Contact Resort Management directly on (03) 5777 6077 for the most current requirements."

Podlet

Old n' Crusty
May 28, 2000
Jindabyne
Most people drive from Jindy to Thredbo.

Thredbo is inside the National Park gate so you are required to carry chains in all weather conditions during winter.

chain hire costs are around $20 a day I think, not sure haven't paid for chain hire.

Annie Ski Bunny

First Runs
Mar 10, 2007
Just buy the chains, if you are doing 5 weekends they are paid for. I bet they would have some for sale this weekend at the Jindy sale

Mozz

A Local
May 20, 2003
Berridale
Unless there is VERY heavy snow you can drive to Thredder's normally without chains BUT you must carry them in the park between June and October.
Clean and fludh your cooling system and add enough Anti freez to cope with -10 as IMHO there isn't much need to go lower, and the less glycol you use the better (less possibility of corrosion - yes it's corrosive).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Rover

One of Us
Jun 20, 2003
Front Seat, left hand side
Anti freeze is required for the radiator for all vehicles that have raditors.....
It is advised by the manufactuer that diesel vehicles use "alpine mix" diesel fuel that contains an anti freeze component.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass