driving from Sydney to Thredbo

chantin13

First Runs
Jun 11, 2021
Hi everyone,
I hope everyone is having a good day.
I would like to ask if driving from Sydney to Thredbo, any part of that route will be above the snowline?
I called and asked Thredbo, they said no determinedly, but when I called the Resort we are staying in, which located in Jindabyne, they said from the resort to Thredbo must pass through the snowline. However, Jindabyne is a waypoint from the route Sydney to Thredbo, so it got me confused now.
I googled and understand that Jindabyne is considered above the snowline. I would like to know if there is a way to connect all three places staying below the snowline all the time, as I will be renting a car.
Hope some people with experience can provide me some information, this is my first time planning a skiing trip.
Best Wishes
Sam

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
I would ask your hire car company for their definition. Chains are not legally required for any part of the drive from Sydney to Thredbo. However they are sometimes required (this week for example)

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
jindy is below the natural snowline, so is thredbo. The only issue you have is if there has been a solid dump and snow is lower than usual.

Reactions: asammut_au

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
Thredbo is correct. Apart from freak occurrences, such as we are having now, there is usually no snow between Sydney and Jindabyne. As you get towards Thredbo you get higher, but snow does not happen very often. Thredbo Village and the bases of the lifts are below the natural snowline.

You should check with your car rental company. They may have restrictions on entry into the National Park that are not connected to reality. That may be what your Jindabyne accommodation is talking about.

chantin13

First Runs
Jun 11, 2021
Thanks for all the reply,
I have sorted it out with the car rental company. Thank you
Are there any ski planning and driving tips that you guys think I should be awarded of?
Much appreciate
Sam

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
Thanks for all the reply,
I have sorted it out with the car rental company. Thank you
Are there any ski planning and driving tips that you guys think I should be awarded of?
Much appreciate
Sam
What day are you driving?

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
You should check with your car rental company. They may have restrictions on entry into the National Park that are not connected to reality. That may be what your Jindabyne accommodation is talking about.

At least one that I have looked at specifically references Jindabyne and Bright as places that you can't take the cars because they may be "in the snow" (I'd actually challenge their wording if it was an issue, with a view to not taking a car *in* the snow, but only on legal roads - as long as you're not lucky/unlucky enough to have snow while in Thredbo, you'd be adhering to the letter, if not the spirit of the rule)

jrr

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
Whilst the resort is "below the snow line" you still have to carry chains to enter the park (unless you're driving a 4WD/AWD). Don't forget to do that. The fine would put a downer on your day... An award you definitely don't want :)

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Whilst the resort is "below the snow line" you still have to carry chains to enter the park (unless you're driving a 4WD/AWD). Don't forget to do that. The fine would put a downer on your day... An award you definitely don't want :)
Not to Thredbo. Chains from after the resort entry.

jrr

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
Not to Thredbo. Chains from after the resort entry.
Ah-ha! I've always misread that... not that I've always carried them with my AWD as the conditions haven't warranted them when I've been driving to Thredbo, but there you go.

Do check the weather report though.

Last edited:
Reactions: nezumi
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass