1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

driving in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by sly_karma, Dec 21, 2011.

1. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

from my fb today
    caption: ‘meals on wheels in Canada’

Crystal likes this.
  2. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Needs its own thread..................LOL

3. Hoodie

Hoodie Hard Yards

I am starting to plan more of the finer details of our xmas holidays and I have seen there is a Canucks game the evening before we fly out of YVR, we were planning on being in Vancouver that night anyways. The game starts at 4pm and I was wondering if it’s too much to drive from Silverstar that day to catch the game, planning on leaving Silverstar early morning say 7.00am?

4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

It depends on the weather. If the roads are clear and the visibility is good - no problems.

SnowRabbit, sly_karma and Hoodie like this.
  5. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted

6. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

To be clear, that includes M&S tyres that already come on most rentals

7. Beerman

Watching Highway through Hell again yesterday, narrator starts off by saying in his Canadian accent,
    "High on the Coq...........", which when converted to Aussie, sounds like "High on the Coke.............."
    Maybe some of them are :eek:

8. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

There's already been some shenanigans up there with the snow season starting early. They had a couple of 5 cm days before the end of September. Doesn't sound like a lot but the winter maintenance contracts dont kick in until October 1. The truck drivers were mostly busy elsewhere trying to complete road works.

As for the high on coke comment, the media are much more fixated on people driving high. Legalization of marijuana is just three days away.

9. SnowRabbit

SnowRabbit Addicted

A BC local once told me that marijuana came only second after tourism on the list of industries contributing to BCs economy. True or not???

10. Splitboarder

Splitboarder Early Days

Hey guys I’m going to be doing the 2 year IEC and I’m looking at buying a vehicle for my time there, I love to camp out of my car so will be looking for something that I can do that in aswel probably 4x4 or at least AWD, What would people recommend looking at getting upto 5k CAD

Thanks guys

11. sly_karma

Tourism isn't BC's number one industry, so not true. We will never really know how much BC bud was bringing in during its heyday because of course it was all criminal enterprise. I know a few people who 'retired' in their early forties on the cash made from their horticultural activities. These days they even admit as much.

12. sly_karma

Truck with canopy will probably give you the most space and lots of purchase options. That would be F150 (Ford), Silverado/Sierra (GM) or Ram (Dodge). Midsize trucks such as Ranger, Colorado/Canyon and Dakota would also work for you.

SUV is another option but these usually cost more on resale. Lots of Ford Explorers out there.

Third possibility would be a minivan with AWD. Dodge made its Caravan in AWD for a few years but it could be hard to find. GM's Safari/Astro minivan was usually RWD but there were some AWD versions made too.

Splitboarder likes this.
  13. Splitboarder

Splitboarder Early Days

Thanks heaps I’m loving the AWD GMC Safari camper conversions !!

dawooduck likes this.
  14. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Excellent

Is it fitted out and how much did it cost you ?

15. sly_karma

Some words of caution. Camping in winter in Canada is a completely different matter than in Australia, and likewise living out of a vehicle for a year is very different from weekend camping trips.

The immediate problem is finding a place to park the rig. Properly set up RV sites don't really exist at the ski hills because so few people even have them on the road in winter. Street parking is more or less banned in most resorts because of the need for snow removal equipment to operate freely and at any hour of day or night. Once you do find a place, your camper will quickly become snowed in unless you keep shoveling snow, and continue to do so all winter. And of course, the more secluded the spot, the more shovel work that will be needed.

Winter connections to water and waste water are the next problem. Campers and RVs just aren't set up for four season operation. Tanks and water lines will freeze unless you build an insulated skirt around the vehicle to ground level and heat the space. That might work, but very laborious if you want to go to the shop for milk and bread. Power connection is highly desirable, but who will let you plug in? The problems continue: camper roofs have insufficient slope to shed snow, more shoveling required. How to top up petrol and LPG? Whistler is about the only BC resort I can think of where there's a gas station, anywhere else you're driving down to town to fill tanks. Where do you shower and toilet? How do you provide overnight heat on an ongoing basis?

There are people have been able to answer all these questions and make a go of it. They're almost always longtime ski bum types who grew up with the climate and understand the issues. They have contacts in the resort and have figured out a spot to park, probably with a friend who lets them camp in a driveway and run a power cord from their own place and probably use shower and toilet as well. The chances of rocking up to a new ski area and putting it all together quickly are pretty low.

The good news is that there are another 7-8 months in the year outside ski season. Your mobile unit will be a perfect travel platform then - with the possible exception of July and August. That's school holidays across the continent and everyone else has the same idea. Campgrounds book out months in advance. The smart move for that period is to be working somewhere making money instead of competing for campsites with the zillions of families. Then get back on the road at the beginning of September when the weather is still nice and the kids are all back in school again.

gareth_oau likes this.
  16. dpt

dpt Hard Yards

Hi we are driving from Whistler to Sun Peaks in january and have allowed if need be a stop over on the way or if weather is good we will have another night in Whistler, we have booked an SUV with our Travel company how do we request Snow tyres? or do we just see what is on it when we pick it up.

17. Beerman

Car rental companies in Canadia must meet all road regulations to be able to rent you a vehicle to you. This includes tyre type. M&S tyres are usually fitted at the factory as standard trim, these meet B.C regs for winter travel, although not a true winter tyre.
    Read over this thread for more info, all questions have generally already been answered

18. gareth_oau

You wont need snow tyres. The M&S required to be fitted by all rental companies will be sufficient in all but the worst conditions.

Ive driven in mildly snowy conditions over the Coq a few times and never had any issues or moments

If its nice and sunny and calm then Also have a think about going the back route via Highway 99, leaving Whistler anh initially head north via Pemberton. The scenery is fantastic

19. Beerman

I've tried our car rental place but no answer yet, do you need an International license to rent a vehicle if coming from Aus??

20. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

No

21. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

If you plan to spend longer in the country you will need to swap over....is it 3 months in Canada

22. KneeDeep

KneeDeep One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

90 day rule only applies if you are moving to Canada. Australian Tourists are allowed 6 months on their Aussie license.

dawooduck and Crystal like this.
  23. Beerman

Thanks All

24. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

I’ll second the scenery.
    I’ve done this drive twice. First time was late March and was beautiful as it started snowing lightly as we were passing Duffy Lake. The second time was a nightmare white knuckle experience as the road hadn’t been plowed.

25. sly_karma

Winter driving season is here in earnest now, 10-20 cm on the passes last night and all-day lineups at the tyre shops. Most maintenance contractors dont start their winter drivers until Nov 1, these last days of October can provide some of the trickiest driving conditions of the entire season.

gareth_oau likes this.
  26. bomber

bomber One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Agree I had a night in late October at Grande Cache with 30cm of snow and only a front wheel drive car!!!

27. Monsta

Monsta Hard Yards

Anyone had experience getting a family of four around in a pickup (F150 Supercrew or similar)? We've always gone for the large SUV but the F150 is nearly half the price with Enterprise. Also my 2 boys are very keen to cruise around in a pickup for a couple of weeks.

Do any of them come with covers for the tray or is any luggage put in there going to be buried under whatever snow we get? Do they have tie down mounts fitted to hold some luggage down? Also is the tray in the crewcab version big enough and long enough to fit 4+ bags and lay skis down in? Not too worried about the security aspect as we'll pretty much be driving door to door most times, more just the logistics of packing the tray.

TIA

28. sly_karma

Standard truck boxes are 6'6 to 6'8, ie, no more than 2 m. That's long enough for skis and boards for mere mortals. Getting a tonneau cover or canopy would be nice for security and weather protection but unlikely with the mainstream rental outfits. The smaller outfits like Rent-a-Wreck sometimes have these but it would be hit and miss for availability. Usually there are some factory tie down points inside the box. You can go to Canadian Tire and get an appropriately sized tarp for $5 but the flapping would be annoying on a long road trip. I guess it would at least keep some weather out while you're parked.

The big big SUVs like Suburban and Expedition are just a another body shape that can be dropped onto a crew cab length truck chassis. Same carrying capacity but everything is inside or on roof racks. For piece of mind and protection from weather it might be simpler to pay the cash and get the SUV.

29. Crystal

I had thought exactly the same thing about the pickup...way cheaper. But lack of rear cover for gear was a deal breaker and not sure if I could request one. Thanks for clearing it up Sly.

30. Monsta

Monsta Hard Yards

Thanks Sly. I was kinda thinking the same thing but figured it was worth asking the question. I'll ask Enterprise and a few others directly if they have any option for a cover and report back.

31. Crystal

Thanks Monsta, look forward to hearing if you can get covers.

32. gareth_oau

Only 13 days until I’ll be doing some if this driving in Canada stuff :D

Crystal likes this.
  33. Crystal

34. Beerman

A month to the day for us. Bring it on:emoji_maple_leaf::emoji_snowflake:

Does anyone know if there are maxi taxis (taxi vans) in Vancouver and how to book them?

35. Monsta

Monsta Hard Yards

So no luck with the tonneau covers out of Calgary at least. Enterprise and Alamo both don't supply them at all, Budget said they do provide them at selected locations (not Calgary though!). So it's the big SUV for us again.

Crystal and sly_karma like this.
  36. Crystal

Thanks for the info

37. Slowman

Slowman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I'll be doing some driving in south east BC next month. I have not driven in Canada for a few years so I thought I should check in to this thread to see if the road rules which I observed then are still current:

(a) Everyone always gives way to any pedestrian unless they are wearing a Make America Great Again cap.
    (b) Speed advisory signs on corners specify half the suitable speed unless your pickup truck is carrying 2 snowmobiles in which case they specify one third of the suitable speed.
    (c) A vehicular track of any width and surface is called a highway.
    (d) Speed limit signs do not mean what say.
    (e) Nervous Australians in hire cars are treated with exasperated courtesy but it would be preferred if you did not leave Vancouver.

I would also be interested in any new road rules which others may have observed.

Roymond likes this.
  38. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

Flashing green lights. Mean different things in different states. Being in east BC you’ll be very close to AB at some point

39. sly_karma

Any emergency vehicle at roadside with flashing lights on (including tow trucks, highway maintenance etc), all vehicles must slow to 70 kmh max when passing. On roads with speed limit 70 or less, vehicles must slow to 40 kmh.

Big push on distracted driving enforcement, primarily phone use. Note that it is still legal to make calls using hands free devices provided they have one button activation and voice controls.

Lots of talk about trucks not chaining up, apparently lots of enforcement around this of late. Mostly on the Coquihalla though, and they dont care about cars and SUVs.

A few highways now have variable speed limits with digital signage allowing authorities to reduce limits during weather events. The key roads with this are the Coq, Sea to Sky, Rogers Pass, Kicking Horse Pass. Clearly signposted and you'll know for certain if the system is in use.

Access roads to ski resorts have no speed limit so as to not infringe on the locals' charter right to the pursuit of high speed winter rally fantasy happiness.

Finally, speed enforcement is still minimal. No cameras, no airborne, precious little radar. 10 kmh over the posted limit is never a problem, even when passing the occasional rare radar trap.

Safe travels and dont forget to post some pictures and a trip report on here!

TropicalPow and Slowman like this.
  40. gareth_oau

unless the Canook is a redneck driving a big black F350 Pickup (or equivalent)

I think these drivers bear all of the pent-up road-raging frustrastions that the rest of the courteous population avoid

41. sly_karma

42. gareth_oau

We were in north Vancouver, doing the posted speed limit, and a big black F350 pickup sat right on my tail and then eventually when the lane split into two - the woman driver felt the need to pull up next to me and sit on the horn

43. Beerman

She probably thought she knew you, maybe her ex or something..........................:out:

44. bomber

bomber One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Maybe she had her eyes on you Gareth?:p

45. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

Can you please elaborate on the flashing green lights rule/law.

46. sly_karma

Flashing green lights means a pedestrian controlled traffic light. Note they will turn solid green as soon as someone pushes the call button.

Flashing orange means caution around an intersection. On highways where speed limit is 70 or higher, an upcoming traffic light will have a flashing orange advance warning light system to give drivers enough time to slow and stop.

Flashing red is for a 4 way stop, or all way stop as they seem to be calling them now. So at a distance you know you have a stop sign coming up. Rule here is give way to any vehicle that was at the stop line before you.

Chillybin likes this.
  47. sly_karma

And a reminder that in Canada it is ok to turn right at a red light after coming to a complete stop.

48. gareth_oau

it's not just "ok".

If a big black F350 is behind you and you dawdle, they will run you over LOL

49. sly_karma

So you understand. Good. Now stop faffing about and drive!

50. Chillybin

Chillybin Addicted

I do like that stop sign rule. I first came across it in Nelson and just thought it was small town folk being courteous but soon realised it was the norm. Great rule. Cheers for the explanations