Driving in Hokkaido

JuniorJunior

Hard Yards
Dec 15, 2017
Hi All,
We are in Hokkaido in late Feb and will be driving from New chitose airport to Furano - Otaru - Niseko - Airport. Can anyone recommend the best route from the airport to furano & from Otaru to Niseko? What are the best roads?
To Furano - Is it best to take the E38?
To Niseko -Will the 393 be ok or is it best to go through Yoichi?
We realise its snowing (we are there to board) and have driven in snow condition all over the world, including in Honshu.
Hoping to hear some good recommendations

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Hi All,
We are in Hokkaido in late Feb and will be driving from New chitose airport to Furano - otaru - Niseko - Airport. Can anyone recommend the best route from the airport to furano & from otaru to niseko? What are the best roads?
To Furano - Is it best to take the E38?
To Niseko -Will the 393 be ok or is it best to go through Yoichi?
We realise its snowing (we are there to board) and have driven in snow condition all over the world, including in Honshu.
Hoping to hear some good recommendations
I've driven Otaru to Niseko a few times
Either way is fine
As a regular at Kiroro we drive the 393 into Otaru nearly every day to eat and shop and explore
The Japanese maintain their highways so well

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
There's bugger all kilometre difference between the 393 and Yoichi routes but personally I prefer the inland route but I know it pretty well and like the mountains
As a thought you might take the Yoichi route to Niseko because you get a couple of superb views of the snow covered ocean cliffs and maybe the 393 back
They have built a superhighway from Yoichi to just past Otaru but like most tourists I prefer the towns and old roads
We do find the hordes descending on the Otaru canal hilarious
My eldest yells"It's just a canal!!!"
If you have the time the Otaru Aquarium is always win our todo list
IMG_8037.jpg

JuniorJunior

Hard Yards
Dec 15, 2017
Ok, we are only in Otaru for the one night between Furano and Niseko. Really just a stop over for some seafood and to see a little more while up there, kind of a rest day with travel. We might do Sapporo for lunch on the way through.
Yeah the canal looks ok but not something I would travel halfway around the world to see.....But I guess we are there and staying opposite, so im guessing the misses will encourage us to walk along it...
I was originally thinking the 393 but we may go the other way and drop into the Nikka distillery as we drive past, then Kutchan for supplies on the way to our accommodation.
Any thoughts on best way to furano from airport? Thinking the quickest will be best
Appreciate the feedback

sourmash

One of Us
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
I just follow whatever Google Maps recommends. Must have is a 4g wifi router for live mapping.
Check out Navitime Japan and DriveHokkaido on app store (Apple).
Get an ETC (electronic tolling) tag and account with your rental car - or use the cash lanes when entering toll roads.

Reactions: JuniorJunior
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass