1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Driving Melbourne to Jindabyne

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by JustCantStop, Aug 3, 2018.

1. JustCantStop

JustCantStop Addicted

Hi folks,

Has anyone driven from Melbourne to Jindabyne, going east through Bairnsdale, Cann River, up the Monaro, through Bombala and then turning into The Snowy River way through Dalgety and on to Jindabyne in recent years? If so, what is the road like? I'll be in a 2WD.

Cheers

2. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Are you in the east of Melbourne? Loooooong way to go otherwise.

It should be fine in a 2wd.

cqen2l likes this.
  3. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Road is fine.

Chaeron likes this.
  4. JustCantStop

JustCantStop Addicted

Yeah i'm outer east and i've got a place to stay around half way between Melbourne and Jindy if I go that way. I did the drive that way about 5 or 6 years ago, and remember it being okay, but just wanted to make sure nothing had changed. I presume there is still a section of unsealed road....

5. chicski

I don’t remember any unsealed sections. I drove it 3 years ago. I can’t imagine needing 4wd unless there’s low snowfall which would shut the road anyway.

Chaeron likes this.
  6. Interruptedbyfireworks

Interruptedbyfireworks One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Definitely no unsealed sections between Melbourne to Bombala. Can’t comment on snowy river way.

I always get caught in bad storms whenever I’ve driven between Bombala and Nimmitabel, with nothing on the radar. Dunno if I’m just jinxed or what?!

Edit: it was actually after Bombala that I’ve run into them, not before. I remember now because I always regret not staying at Bombala overnight when I’ve seen the green clouds coming over!

7. chicski

Snowy River Way is fully sealed. And you get up close and personal with some huge wind turbines :thumbs:

8. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Fine. Last time I did it there was a high section where we had a bit of sleet on the road.

Chaeron likes this.
  9. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Boco rock windfarm:) Also get to drive up beloka, which is better than riding a bike up:eek: Road is good, and pretty quiet. There is a fair bit of wildlife at night on the snowy river way. No fuel between Bombala and Jindy.

10. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Engaging in a little thread necromancy - I'm planning out the route for our trip to Perisher in early August. (arriving on Sunday and departing on Friday)

Travelling with a 3 year old, I am planning on breaking the trip up a little bit. For at least one leg, we want to travel south via Barinsdale / Orbost, to visit a friend down that way. Coming from Bundoora, Google is suggesting driving time of ~7 hours combined via Albury or 8 hrs going the southern route - which is also an extra 130kms. If possible, having somewhere nice to stop to have lunch, wander around a bit, have dinner and then leave early the next day on the way to the snow would be nice. Even if it's a case of Home -> drive 3-4 hours -> touristy lunch spot, wander for 2-3 hours taking in a pretty town -> drive 1 - 2 hours to overnight spot, dinner and bed, that would probably work.

I have looked at this thread, and also at https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/after-work-route-from-melbourne.78781/ while deciding.

Currently I am leaning towards going to the snow via the Hume, and returning via Bombala/Cann River/Orbost. This does mean hiring chains one-way from Khancoban, but it removes the risk of driving the Alpine way at dusk/evening.

I'm leaning towards Beechworth or Tallangatta as the tourist stop, and Corryong or Khancoban for the overnight stop.

On the way back I am thinking of leaving around 4pm on Friday and battling through Jindy, then heading south to Cann River for the night, Orbost for brunch and visit with friends, and then a straight run home.

Does anyone have a better suggestion than this, or is there anything obvious that I have missed?

11. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure Tallangatta is worth it.

nezumi likes this.
  12. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Tallangatta has a great bakery and empty reservoir...

13. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

14. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

You're doing your Melbourne transits on a Sunday and Saturday so peak hour is not an issue.
    There are so many stop options for you it's not funny. Having done a big road trip with a 3yo boy in Feb flexibility is key.
    Expect HIGH roo risk leaving Jindy at 4pm for Cann River. These arent scurrying mountain wallabies, these are big dopey units! And big wombats around low point water ways. I'd be reconsidering if not armed with bullbar and high powered lights.

nezumi and Gimp like this.
  15. graceya

graceya First Runs

Driving past the Boco wind farm just after Bombala is pretty nice...

Attached Files:

Bogong likes this.
  16. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us

beechworth/corryong rather than tallangatta/khancoban

nezumi likes this.
  17. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I have some country driving experience, but this trip will be in a Getz - might look at staying in Bombala rather than Cann River. Would we be better off having dinner in Jindy and heading off a little later, more night than dusk?

The 3yo is in snow school until 3:30, and I'd rather not pull him out of that early - this is half of the reason for a decision to drive up to Smiggins and do a car shuffle, rather than just going up and home by the skitube.

18. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Corryong cafe have the best pizza. 5pm onwards.

19. chicski

Is car sickness a factor for the youngster?

20. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

khancoban accom and food choices are limited. we froze in a cabin at K caravan park. motel was ok. pub foods was atrocious but some say it has improved.

Corryong has more accom choice. not sure about food options these days. I think my 2 favourites have closed or changed hands.

beechworth is indeed very touristy.

Benalla and Wang both have good big parks if running around is the main objective. the rocket at Benalla lives on and imho is a must for kids. it was old when we played on it on the 70s

if you decide to go anticlockwise instead then metung, paynesville or even lakes entrance are good overnight options. and there's the bullant brewery in bruthen

21. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Fortunately not, but excessive energy and a break from stream of consciousness jibberish ad nauseum for mum and dad may be a factor!

Cheers - it's looking like it will be lunch and a wander in Beechworth, then on to Corryong, then a nice morning drive to Smiggins (possibly with lunch in Jindy before the final push?).

gaz35 likes this.