Driving Melbourne to Jindabyne

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by JustCantStop, Aug 3, 2018.

1. JustCantStop

JustCantStop Hard Yards

Hi folks,

Has anyone driven from Melbourne to Jindabyne, going east through Bairnsdale, Cann River, up the Monaro, through Bombala and then turning into The Snowy River way through Dalgety and on to Jindabyne in recent years? If so, what is the road like? I'll be in a 2WD.

Cheers

2. Seth

Seth Pool Room
    Ski Pass: Gold

Are you in the east of Melbourne? Loooooong way to go otherwise.

It should be fine in a 2wd.

cqen2l likes this.
  3. chicski

chicski One of Us

Road is fine.

Chaeron likes this.
  4. JustCantStop

JustCantStop Hard Yards

Yeah i'm outer east and i've got a place to stay around half way between Melbourne and Jindy if I go that way. I did the drive that way about 5 or 6 years ago, and remember it being okay, but just wanted to make sure nothing had changed. I presume there is still a section of unsealed road....

5. chicski

chicski One of Us

I don’t remember any unsealed sections. I drove it 3 years ago. I can’t imagine needing 4wd unless there’s low snowfall which would shut the road anyway.

Chaeron likes this.
  6. Interruptedbyfireworks

Definitely no unsealed sections between Melbourne to Bombala. Can’t comment on snowy river way.

I always get caught in bad storms whenever I’ve driven between Bombala and Nimmitabel, with nothing on the radar. Dunno if I’m just jinxed or what?!

Edit: it was actually after Bombala that I’ve run into them, not before. I remember now because I always regret not staying at Bombala overnight when I’ve seen the green clouds coming over!

7. chicski

chicski One of Us

Snowy River Way is fully sealed. And you get up close and personal with some huge wind turbines :thumbs:

8. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room

Fine. Last time I did it there was a high section where we had a bit of sleet on the road.

Chaeron likes this.
  9. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us

Boco rock windfarm:) Also get to drive up beloka, which is better than riding a bike up:eek: Road is good, and pretty quiet. There is a fair bit of wildlife at night on the snowy river way. No fuel between Bombala and Jindy.