1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Driving Solo & Costs

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by DustyPrints, Jul 31, 2019.

1. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

Hi all, I'm heading to Queenstown on the 8th August and will be there for 10Days. 7 of which will be spent snowboarding at Coronet/Remarkables/Cardrona. Thing is, I'm also setting aside 1 day to head to Backcountry Saddles for Horse Riding and possibly Snow Farm for Dog Sledding. Looking around, there aren't any transport options to these places and I was wondering if I should just rent a car for 10D or for that 1D.

Would also help if I knew what is the average fuel cost for such a trip (either 10D rental or 1D rental) and whether it's worth it at all if there's nobody else to share the car with.

2. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

I was in Queenstown earlier this month, and fuel was around $2.28/L. We hired a Toyota Fielder and spent around $100 total on fuel, but we drove up to Christchurch. We didn’t use as much fuel as I thought we would driving up to Remarks. Having said that, we only skied for 4 days and minimised our car use on our off days around Queenstown.

Something to consider about driving as a single is that full cars get priority for the higher car parks at Remarks. It wouldn’t surprise me if other areas have the same rule. I did notice that there were a lot of people attempting to hitch rides near the bus stop at Frankton.

3. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

I see, thanks for the info! From the prices I gathered, it seems that even though the price to rent for 1D is a huge amount (~$140 excl. fuel), the total cost of transport if I took shuttles for the remaining days would still be lower than if I rented for 10D.

Regarding 2WD and 4WD, is it fine to choose a 2WD car to rent? How are the roads? This will be my first time driving in snowy conditions so would like to know a little more.

4. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

I rented a 2WD and it was fine getting up and down the mountain with four people. The only issue with a 2WD is that you’re more likely to have to fit chains. We had to fit them a couple of times, and didn’t have any issues with it. I rented the car through Apex and they had a demo wheel in the office where they demonstrated fitting the chains, then left us to practice until we were confident. Hubby and I picked up a set of gardening gloves and some big plastic bags from Pak n Save so we didn’t trash up our ski gear when fitting the chains.

5. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

$140 a day?
    Umm what?

6. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

We rented a 2wd last season from Apex for 2 weeks for $25NZ per day. That's about the same price as the return bus trip pp. Car wins, go where you want when you want.
    Usual speel, make sure your travel insurance includes coverage of the hire car excess amount charged if someone bumped into you etc.

7. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

Is that not normal? It's the cheapest I can find from Budget/Avis after including the excess reduction. Or do people usually just get that portion covered by travel insurance?

8. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

For me, it works out to be about $50/D incl insurance and fuel so the buses are still cheaper. I actually have a friend tagging along but they refuse to take the car for fear of ice on roads, leaving me no other option... Would have loved to get a car for all 10D so I can stop by other places such as Kawarau Falls

9. Dave6

Dave6 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Thats about double . Do some googling.

10. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

+1
    Hint: You need to use independent car rentals with older vehicle fleets (i.e. forget avis, budget etc)
    @DustyPrints

Snow Blowey and Born2skii like this.
  11. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

I don't understand? I've already looked up Ace Rentals, Budget, Avis. Apex, Omega and Hertz and $50/D (incl. fuel, insurance) is the cheapest price I can see. What are your recommendations then?

12. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Depending on size of car, I can see cars from $26NZ upwards per day on Apex. You don,t need to take the hire car company insurance if you have travel insurance that covers the excess. CDW / LDW are included by law in NZ as is automatic no fault personal injury insurance.

Born2skii likes this.
  13. Dave6

Try here: https://4wdrentals.co.nz/

@Born2skii probably can recommend something as well.

14. Born2skii

Born2skii One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

We rented from these guys out of Auckland for two weeks and dropped off at Christchurch.

https://www.nzrentacar.co.nz/

They do have an office in Queenstown.

And as others have said you don't need extra insurance as long as your travel insurance covers the excess.

15. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I was thinking of getting insurance from the rental companies because it might make the process easier. That and the travel insurance I was thinking of getting doesn't include excess/ is not high enough to cover the excess.

16. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Suppose you have to consider the $20 you pay each day for the car insurance compared to the cost of the travel insurance that includes the excess. ;)

17. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

If you want buddies to ride with - a group of us (I'm the only skier) are there from the 6 - 11th.

Send me a PM.

#17 Ozgirl, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Zimbooo likes this.
  18. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Another reason to thank Jack!
    He got it alright!

Ozgirl likes this.
  19. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

That matches up with what I saw from the different websites. $23-26 per day, excluding fuel and insurance costs. The figure I'm quoting, $50/D, is inclusive of fuel and insurance costs.

20. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

Do rental car companies charge the bond upfront? Some of them seem to have a crazy high amount!

21. pedub

pedub One of Us

I think you are roughly right. if you incl fuel and insurance. That's what it costs. I think for 1 person its a toss up. For 2, definitely hire...

22. pedub

pedub One of Us

23. Ozgirl

Yep I agree.

Now i know there is two of you. The cost of the bus each day def makes the car hire affordable!

Get it for the week. Get a cheap on and not through the premium hertz, avis etc.

24. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

There's two of us but I commented that my friend refuses to sit in a car as she's completely paranoid about snowy weather driving. Hence I'm renting the car solo. :/

25. mauricem

mauricem Addicted

Many credit cards will cover hire car excess if you make the booking through them I don't bother with travel insurance for NZ but for USA etc its a must.
    The bond on the CC is usually taken as a hold, ie they can take it of they need it but its not like a purchase.

26. Ozgirl

Oh dear, so how is she getting around? Buses?

27. pedub

pedub One of Us

Lol excuse me if i find this a funny situation...
    So will your friend be ok on a bus up those same roads?
    I'd feel safer in a 4WD as long as the driver is good

Personally if i was going on a trip with my friend i would always go with the option to travel together.. Sounds like car is not even an option

Unless you are expecting to ski more days than her anyway, then it could be worth it. What about when not skiing? Will she travel in car then? If so it could be good to have for other trips etc

28. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

She'll be taking buses on the days we go skiing. And buses to Kawarau falls, bus from the airport etc.

On the day where we're heading to Backcountry Saddles, She is going to take a bus to Cardrona, take the shuttle to Pines Tree Car park and then walk there, even though we have no idea where Pines Tree car park is or if ths distance is walkable. Her backup plan is to cab there from the Car Park.

Then we're heading to arrowtown after and she'll be taking that part of the journey by cab. Honestly IDK, I've tried everything to convince her that we should rent a car, even dug up videos of people driving on those roads in winter, but nada.

Even though when she cabs, it will still be in a car and with a stranger as the driver nonetheless...

29. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

It's ok. I find the situation perplexing as well. Before I asked her to join the trip, I told her that we will need to be driving.

She said it would be ok but then she went to read about "dangerous roads in new zealand" and watched videos of cars sliding on ice. Now she's paranoid about it.

At this point of time we already booked some activities and she'd rather take a combination of multiple buses and a cab to get to where we want to go :/

30. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

Question: Is there a reason the Nissan Tiida isn't recommended for ski field roads on some rental sites? What about the Toyota Yaris?

31. Stani

Stani Hard Yards

is there any rental in nz offering cars with winter tyres ?

32. Ozgirl

Oh dear!

That's a shame. It's really not that bad.

People talk about it on this site e ven and I have always wondered what the issue was.

Don't show he videos of planes landing in the wind in Wellington!!

33. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Yep, dem buses are so safe compared to a hire car. LOL

Dave6 likes this.
  34. Dave6

That's a fancy road with guard rail and everything.

35. pedub

pedub One of Us

Dont think so. Not common here on most cars

36. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Not something the worrywart companion needs to see.

37. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Yep, wasn't there back in the day.

38. pedub

pedub One of Us

Sounds awkward.. I think you just gotta suck it up and travel together (buses if need be) but i would keep trying to convince her about the car!!
    P.s. Pines carpark is the lowest one. Would need a shuttle up to the base building.

Im not sure if showing her that bus video is a good idea or a bad idea!

Ozgirl likes this.
  39. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

Haha a different friend of mine dug up this exact video when I offhandedly mentioned my frustrations with this trip. Definitely not something she would see or she might cancel the trip entirely!

40. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

That brings me back to why I posted this thread in the first place. The biggest issue is with the day where we have to go to Backcountry Saddles and then to Arrowtown, which is why I asked if renting a car for 1 day is even worth it. For the other days, I would not mind taking the bus to the ski areas.

Many rental companies do not offer rentals for 1 day or have a very early vehicle return time. Even if I rented for one day, my friend insists on taking such a strange combination of buses/shuttles and cabs so there's really nothing I can do.

When I suggest that she take a cab straight from Queenstown to Backcountry Saddles (because I am very worried that she will get stranded/lost), she declines because it's too expensive.

[​IMG]

41. Ozgirl

Very frustrating Dusty. Sorry.

But maybe come meet us on your first night. We have a car. Maybe it will help?

The worst of the roads are going up to the resort. Hopefully she will see how normal the roads are for the Backcountry Saddle day.

Am really surprised you are struggling to get a car for a day. Most hire cars I know are a 24hr rental period.

Zimbooo likes this.
  42. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Sometimes friends and interests are not the same. Hard Choices.

Ozgirl likes this.
  43. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

It comes down to a very basic question - is the sex worth it?

44. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

Yea sighhh... I usually travel solo but I thought it'd be nice to have a friend tag along this time and maybe they could help be the navigator while I drive. Who knew it would turn into this.

It's not that I'm having trouble finding rentals for 1 day, there are a few options. Regarding the companies that close fairly early, I could always return the vehicle the next day or choose one that has a key drop-off. The two bigger issues are how early they open (Because we need to get to Backcountry saddles by 9.20am) and the price of a one-day rental as compared to a longer rental.

My friend has stated her stance very clearly. She MIGHT only take the car for the trip to/from the airport and to/from Coronet Peak. Anywhere else, she *claims* the roads are unsealed and unsafe. I had even sent her a picture of a plaque that states Crown Range road is sealed but she wouldn't believe me.

Ozgirl, maybe you will have better luck convincing her haha
    [​IMG]

45. Ozgirl

You could pick up the car the night before. And with the key drop thing.

But honestly she will see the roads are normal roads when she gets there.

I will prep my friends to help steer her in the right direction when the topic comes up.

I am going with 2 guys and 3 girls. It it has only just today been decided I will be one of the primary drivers.

46. DustyPrints

DustyPrints Early Days

Fingers crossed! Looking forward to the trip there :)

47. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

@DustyPrints, I hope that once your friend sees the roads, she realises that they are nowhere near as bad as she’s imagining. Honestly, sitting high in the bus on the way up to Remarks and being able to clearly see down the drop-off is way more nerve-wracking than being in a car. The road is sealed except for the last 3km, and the overall quality of the roads in NZ is way better than what I drive on a daily basis - I live in the lower Hunter, where the potholes have potholes of their own. I can’t comment on what the roads are like going up to the other resorts, but I’m sure I’ve read that the road up to Coronet is sealed the whole way.

My reason for hiring a car on my recent trip were more about not having to take my autistic son who has meltdowns most mornings on buses. We’d managed the buses with some difficulty on previous trips, and hubby was very anti-car. This time I went behind his back and hired a car, then sprung it on him just before the trip. I did all the driving up and down the mountain, and he ended up being very glad to have the car because it gave us a lot more flexibility to leave when we were done. Trying to get a seat on a bus in the afternoon can be a very long wait.

Ozgirl likes this.