1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

driving to falls

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by kula83, Jul 3, 2007.

1. kula83

kula83 First Runs

My partner and I are driving up to falls creek in a few weeks, in a campervan (and no, were not planning on sleeping in it!). We were wondering if we're going to have trouble driving up the mountain, given that a campervan doesn't handle as well as a car?
    Would we be better off parking at Mt Beauty and catching the coach up, or is the road fairly easy to drive between mt beauty and falls?

2. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

you'll be right 95% of the time. Carry and fit chains if required and you shouldn't have a prioblem.

A 2wd campervan driven carefully in the snow will handle better than an AWD being driven by an [auto-censor]!

3. HiLo

HiLo Old n' Crusty

The Falls Creek Road is probably the easiest access to any ski resort in Vic. (Except maybe Lake Mountain.) In normal conditions you should have no trouble at all. Just be prepared for all the snow related stuff if it's snowing around the time you travel. Your success will depend more on you and your preparedness than on the road itself. Some good advice is right here on this very site.

#3 HiLo, Jul 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  4. riderjase

riderjase First Runs

Don't really want to hikack this thread, but my partner and I are also driving to Falls Creek.

It looks as though it is cheaper to park and Mount Beauty and catch the coach up? (We'll be staying for 6 nights)

Also, has anyone driven from Adelaide? How long does it take to drive from Adelaide to Falls Creek?

Thanks!

5. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I don't know that it is that much cheaper for two people over that time, when paying for the two return bus passes and having the car parked for six days. Only if you crash your car, then its much cheaper to get the bus.

6. riderjase

riderjase First Runs

Am I correct in saying I'd have to rent chains for 7 days, pay for 7 days worth of parking, and buy an ice scraper and pay a once off entry into the village?

7. parkmonkey

I have all that stuff, maybe its better on the bus, just have to work out your times and hope it all fits in.

#7 parkmonkey, Jul 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  8. Shiraz

Shiraz Hard Yards

depends a bit on the way you go, but around 12-13 hours including breaks etc

#8 Shiraz, Jul 3, 2007
  9. riderjase

riderjase First Runs

Thanks guys - much appreciated

10. Claret

Claret First Runs

<span style='font-family: Arial'>Mrs Claret and I are making our Falls debut this week so I have a question or two regarding the drive up (from Melbourne). . .

I've noticed on a few road maps that there is a turn off prior to Wangaratta - is this something of a short cut? Are the turn-offs signposted? Also, is it best to make your way all the way to Bright before turning off or should it be done at one of the earlier junctions?

Can somebody also recommend the best place to pick up some chains for a few days?

Thanks in advance.</span>

11. main street

main street Sun Peaks Resident

That's most likely the turn off that takes you through Milawa,.... & it is shorter to go that way.

Go through Bright & head out of town as if you were going to Hotham. About 4 km out of town there is a turn off to Mt Beauty & on to Falls.

You can most likely get chains from any number of places in Bright or Mt beauty.

It's all very well signposted from Bright anyway.

[​IMG]

#11 main street, Jul 3, 2007
  12. parkmonkey

I thought it better to turn off just after Myrtleford, not so Hilly and winding roads plus faster?. Claret the turn off to Milawa is just after the Macca's on the Freeway

13. tempest

tempest First Runs

The turn off before Wang you mention is at the McDonalds not far past Glenrowan (coming from Melb.). Get off here and just past the Maccas you go over the bridge across the highway. No need to go all the way to Bright, the road just past Bright to Mt Beauty is a fairly twisty road. Best option is to turn off the Alpine way at Ovens and take that road through Rosewhite which brings you onto the Kiewa Valley Highway then it's a straight run to Mt Beauty. Chains can be hired at Myrtleford.

#13 tempest, Jul 3, 2007
  14. Claret

Claret First Runs

<span style='font-family: Arial'> </span>Thanks for your help guys - all very helpful.

15. Froggy

Froggy First Runs

Howdy, I drove last year and we stopped over the night in Shepparton and then drove the rest of the way the next day ( about an hour and a half in the car). We took it nice and easy and could of easily made Bright if you wanted to stay that close the night before. We then caught the bus up, I think it's a cheaper option then driving up at the resort entry price as you'll have to hire chains regardless if there's snow or not.

#15 Froggy, Jul 3, 2007
  16. Froggy

Froggy First Runs

Eh either way you go you can't get lost there's just way too many signs.

#16 Froggy, Jul 3, 2007
  17. main street

main street Sun Peaks Resident

Good point! .... Although the road up through the gap can be fun [​IMG] .... depending on what mood you're in! [​IMG]

#17 main street, Jul 3, 2007
  18. g-tox

g-tox First Runs

While we are on this topic, i am coming down from the Gold Coast and first time to FC. Driving all the way ,and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also thanx in advance.

19. parkmonkey

Drive all the way to Albury and turn left

20. g-tox

g-tox First Runs

I suppose you meant Wodonga, but being from Queensland i want to get thru nsw as quick as possible.

21. HiLo

HiLo Old n' Crusty

Wise move.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#21 HiLo, Jul 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  22. parkmonkey

You turn left at Alb's to get to Wodonga (or pretty much bypass Wodonga onto Falls). From the Goldie straight down the Pacific to Sydney, onto the Hume and down to Alb's and turn left.

23. g-tox

g-tox First Runs

Cheers buddy [​IMG]

#23 g-tox, Jul 3, 2007
  24. parkmonkey

Im in Byron have done it a heap of times. [​IMG]

#24 parkmonkey, Jul 3, 2007
  25. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Driving from Melbourne you can take the Milawa road, turn off just after McDonalds at Glenrowan. I don't find it any quicker than staying on the highway a little longer and taking the Ovens Highway, which I think they call the Great Alpine Road.After you have gone through Mytleford there is a pub called the Happy Valley Hotel(not bad for lunch)on your right and you turn left onto the Happy valley Rd. It is cheaper and eaier to get the bus up the hill. 7 days resort entry and parking will cost you $196. It cost me $ 147 for 2 adults and 2 children to go there and back on the bus and park the car at Pyles. You don't have to dig the car out or put chains on!

26. djestar

djestar First Runs

This is my first time to Falls Creek (from Melbourne).
    Is it better to drive up the mountain or park at the bottom somewhere (can anyone tell me where?) and catch a bus up? How much is the bus cost and can you take equipment on the bus?
    If I do drive up, how much do chains cost, how do I know if I need them, and where do I get them from?

27. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

If you are by yourself, it is probably cheaper and easier to get the bus. You can find out about it here .

They take all your gear. I'd advise a bag for your skis/board to protect it. You still need to walk or get oversnow to your accommodation, same as if you were driving. I'm not sure if there is a charge for excess luggage if you take enough food and grog to last a month - ask if that's your intention. You can pay pyles to leave your car in their parking area too.

If you have a car full of people, it's probably cheaper to drive up. You can hire chains at Pyles, the Mobile servo and at any ski shop in Tawonga or Mt Beauty. Make sure your car can actually take chains. Some flashy new sporty things cannot take chains - in which case you need to use the bus. If you're taking the car, it's a good idea to take a shovel if there's a chance of a big snow fall. If it hasn't snowed recently and the weather forecast is fine for all the time you expect to be up there, old fashioned ladder chains will be fine - you won't be actually using them. But it is illegal to drive up the mountain without having them with you. If you have to put them on, there will be signs that say "No entry unless chains fitted". Or if you feel any sliding, stop when it is safe and put them on. If you expect snow, make sure you get diamond pattern chains, they are much safer. And know which wheels to put your chains on: front for FWD, rear for RWD. 4WD's vary, most are on front wheels, but some need all wheels. There is more info on driving to the snow in wikiski

#27 currawong, Jul 7, 2007
  28. peet

peet First Runs

does it cost $28 for car entry including all people in the car

29. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

If you have 4 passengers using the bus they seem to throw the parking in free. Yes Peet the cost of car entry into Falls creek is the same with a car full or just 1 driver.

30. Shiraz

Shiraz Hard Yards

yes, its $28 per car - see here

#30 Shiraz, Jul 8, 2007
  31. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

#31 ocker, Jul 8, 2007