1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Driving to the snow over the years

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by pegasusSki, May 22, 2020.

1. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Nothing can really prepare you for it to be honest. We were in the missus's car, which was a shame because no matter how many wipes I used the seat was still covered. If i'd had the ute at least I could have thrown the seat in the back while we were shopping to help air the car for a bit. You just gotta cop these ones.

Snow Blowey and CarveMan like this.
  2. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Addicted

All we need now is a poll for the option at Glenrowan services - are you a Maccas type, a wholefood, non-junk food type.
    Coming down with SaR one year, and everyone headed for Maccas. Yay! I thought!

3. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

wet wipes don't do shit... (LOL)

Use facecloths, slightly damp instead. I was never going to buy disposable wipes.

Face clothes will clean up more - due to the texture.

I bought a stack of them (to go with the cloth nappies) and is why i was not concerned about the TP shortage...

Men seem way more scared of poonami's than women. Which is why CG is probably under prepared cause she is not scared!

nezumi likes this.
  4. GS

GS Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

no, no, no. It is most definitely the best thing for peeps to leave early on Sundays.

5. nfip

nfip Cold n' Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

Coming from the Northern end of the South Coast I have a sensational drive up the hill.
    1.5 hrs to Braidwood, 1.5 to Cooma .
    Weather and wild life dependant on the Braidwood- Cooma leg.
    Re-fuel and rest room at Cooma then an hour or so to Guthega.
    Many 3 am departures , so some mind blowing sunrises going over the Badja looking to the Coast.
    Can be on the hill for 1st lifts.
    Usually has been pick up after school Thursday so at the club around 8 ish.
    Generally bail SUnday morning and don't ski , so the boots dont get put away wet.
    If it's a powder day or have the vibe will ski till lunch time.
    Home for roast by 6.
    LOts good times with kids on the road.
    Paul Kelly , LRB , Jack Johnson, Bowie where popular choices... and all the rest of the cruisey stuff surfing thru my ipod collection.
    Tag teams listening to their own music ... Taylor Swift was popular years ago - not so bad considering...
    Just love the drive tho.
    Transition from coastal rain forests to the Monaro valley's and mountains , the farms....
    then the drive into Guthega can be next level in so many dimensions.
    Oh and a ski is a bonus ;)

#55 nfip, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    W0nkey D0nkey and Donzah like this.
  6. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

This is us too - it also helps that we have a hand-held bidet hose installed for washing down the cloth nappies. Best thing ever.

Peanut and Ozgirl like this.
  7. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Cool, do you put them in your handbag at the shops when done and carry them around for the rest of the outing? Or use one of those scented poo bags that really dont do much to disguise the smell of a particularly feral turd and/or turd rag? I know my fair share of men who dont really like poo, I think that's probably a good thing though. If women seem more keen on it then I guess it's 2020 so you gotta respect them for that, but really, it's poo, there's not really anything good coming of it #2girls

8. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Daylight only drives along the Monaro for me nowadays.
    Too many kangawallapuss in the killzone.
    My car's seen enough.

cornice11, W0nkey D0nkey and nfip like this.
  9. nezumi

We would drop any solids into the loo when changing bub, then wrap the liner and cloth inside the nappy shell and put all this into a wetbag. I don't think there are too many people who *like* poo, but there are a disturbing number of men who are afraid of changing a nappy - or are even proud of never having done this.

Ozgirl likes this.
  10. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I've copped just about every turd over the last couple of weeks, our rule is simple, whoever is nearest does it.

nezumi likes this.
  11. Donzah

When I used to work in a shopping mall I heard some shocking stories re soiled nappies.

The worst. People would stand on the toilet and reach the lowish suspened ceiling. Lifting a tile, they'd chuck the solied nappy up into the roof cavity.
    Stench for days. Had the cleaning crew confused as.

12. nezumi

Blech!

I am always aghast when I see overflowing nappy bins in shopping centre parents' rooms.

One of the benefits for us is that there is no smelly nappy bin sitting around in the house.

Ozgirl likes this.
  13. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I have a mate who has 2 kids. He claims never to have changed a nappy. I am in awe.

crackson likes this.
  14. Donzah

I could change them one handed while having a wine.
    Watching my swans..
    Benefit of being the stay at home dad while wife worked nights Fri-Sunday ..

Ozgirl and JM72 like this.
  15. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

There is something special about that Maccas. I have friends and acquaintances (I won't call them snobs), who wouldn't be seen dead at a Maccas in the city or anywhere else in rural areas. But the Glenrowan Maccas casts a strange spell over them and they forget their aversion to McDonalds. When they're within 20 km of that franchise they become surprisingly keen to stop there and chow into a Classic Angus burger and chips.

pegasusSki and CarveMan like this.
  16. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

LOLLOL Clever @CarveMan ... perhaps you'll find that the said address is his shop...

CarveMan likes this.
  17. Hermannator

So much this^ ... leaving Hotham at 2-5pm on a Sunday is false economy. Apply the logic for departing Melb on Fri to the departure on Sun...

CarveMan likes this.
  18. CarveMan

It must be a license to print money.

19. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Addicted

Very funny - often hikers in particular are very inner-burb and right-on - but yes, you can imagine my private amusement.
    I have a mate with really young kids who was proud of the fact his kids "wouldn't even touch it" (leave the burger) - I told him most pre-school lids can't manage Maccas and hone in on the nuggets - the fries and burger taste comes later.

Most people generally get more of an aversion to Maccas as they get older - I like it - but get that overfull regret later - so I tend to avoid the fries and only have a burger..

20. Donzah

Jindabyne. Hold my Beer.
    The Monaro express suv conga is coming
    toot toot

21. CarveMan

And since we had the kid it's even better logic, leave after dinner and she can sleep in the car, she seems to be fine when we transfer her to bed at ~10pm which is lucky.

Hermannator likes this.
  22. Donzah

I try to eat the better quality stuff. Ie the angus burgers or wraps.. Or a toastie from the cafe.

Though we try to eat at IKEA the majority of the time.

23. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Addicted

My approach was that poo was only bad on clothes, "lingering doubts of where the poo is/smell" , and nappy rash.
    So ! every change involved me getting to a sink- filling the sink - even if the kid had to wait a bit longer. Clothes off - bum goes in warm water. Wash. I wash hands. No poo on clothes, so no lingering smell or doubts - and no rash. And knew hands were clean.
    As I tell new Dads, baby poo doesn't smell much anyhow. It's more fruity than poo.

Never used a wipe in 7 years and I changed hundreds / thousands.

24. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I use my mobile phone to find a real eatery where i want to stop. Call that eatery 10-15minutes out and have a decent feed ready and waiting when i arrive. There is never any excuse to eat at the golden arches. Its sugary crap. OK on the way in but horrendous aftertaste after your taste buds have worked their way past the sugary salty disguise.

Hermannator likes this.
  25. Hermannator

climberman likes this.
  26. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, I do a lot of hiking, so I have hiking friends as well as skiing friends. I live in the inner north of Melbourne and people from that area seem to be the ones most likely to forget their snobbery and undergo a "Glennie Maccas conversion".

About three decades ago when the world was young, and I was even younger, Maccas had a much more limited menu with only about 4 burgers available. At the time there was an informal gluttony challenge to eat every item on their menu. I think it was returning from an XC ski trip when I was a student. We'd been trapped in a hut for about three days by an especially persistent blizzard with very limited food. We finally got back to the car at Falls Creek after dark and for some reason headed straight to the Glennie Maccas where, for the first and only time in my life, I was sufficiently ravenous that I ate one of every item on the entire menu. :eek:

nezumi and pegasusSki like this.
  27. CarveMan

Yeah I remember a Maccas somewhere in Gippsland after 10 days of Outward Bound copping a busload of ravenous teenagers, we all spent about $25 there which back in the early 90s got you a shitload of food. While in the vein of @Snow Blowey 's wonderful thread derail, one of my school mates took his first dump for the trip at said Maccas :eek: :eek:

Bogong likes this.
  28. Snow Blowey

Scomo?

nezumi likes this.
  29. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Addicted

Essentially, cold + physical activity needs replacement of whatever you expended or lacked - there is a debt of sorts. Hence the calories!!

Although it's well-known that an army marches on it's stomach, it's not generally understood how much anyone, soldier or otherwise, degrades in the field. Often nothing to do with fitness.

For every day you are out, you degrade and get less efficient, and the more food you miss or need, and kit gets colder and damper. Eventually, conditioning takes over. My theory is that there is a spot past about 3 nights where food (and comfort) starts to become a factor, but once you get over that hump you are fine.

We are all geared to weekends - so 2 nights in a tent - and all of a sudden there is a craving for coffee etc.

Bogong likes this.
  30. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Addicted

Maybe we need another topic, but I am in the school, where - as soon as I am "in the field" I don't need to go. Days go by. I don't think I have ever gone on a weekend away. I am eating far less - that's why. I have a mate who is the same - but if he eyeballs a convenience - then that's a trigger point.

31. jabiru

jabiru One of Us

Usual drive Richmond ( Vic ) to Corryong or Khancoban rest up and go early to tube ,, if the conditions are not that good on the Alpine way I will go to Orbost overnight at a surprisingly top little motel and up the Monaro Hwy, coffee and toilet at Bombala and across the Monaro from Bibenluke , Orbost is longer but good roads especially up from Cann river ,, one comment due to ' issues' I sometimes get very tired and as with everyone resist stopping for a nap ,, but I have found though you feel tired enough to sleep for 4 hours I rarely sleep more than 15 - 20 mins and wake refreshed and awake ,, I always now stop for a rest ,, we all know when that is ,,, and happily give up 20 mins to stay alive ,, end of sermon

Snow Blowey and Bogong like this.
  32. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Addicted

ah yes interesting to see the comments from people doing Melbourne to.....Main Range..

nezumi likes this.
  33. Donzah

I'm not sure i'd have a roadside nap on the Orbost to Cann River stretch.
    Creepy AF out there....
    *though i did once see two guys skateboarding with packs on along that stretch of road. I think they were skating from Melbourne to Sydney.

34. nfip

nfip Cold n' Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

Welcome to first grade son.LOL
    ;)

CarveMan likes this.
  35. Ozgirl

Yes i would put it into the nappy bag (its what they were made for!) and carry it home. at $30 a pop you want to reuse those buggars.

If only a few more people did it instead of adding to landfill!

Peanut and nezumi like this.
  36. Ozgirl

Yeah thats what i was implying in my first post. drive at night when the kid is typically sleeping longer than the drive!

CarveMan likes this.
  37. FLI355

FLI355 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

in an office thinking about waist deep powder
    Its funny how much quicker the trip has got over the years. It used to be 6.5hrs or so from memory back in the late 80s from Roselands to Jindy. Admittedly I live 70km closer now however its now 3.5hrs without stopping from Wilton to Jindy so a Friday arvo run is pretty easy. I've done day trips too without much drama

Snow Blowey and Ozgirl like this.
  38. Snow Blowey

Its amazing how many people you speak to on a chairlift that are from Sydney who say the drive is 6.5hrs. Makes me wonder which way they go because it takes me less than that from Dubbo, and we'd have 120km further to travel. Back in the early 2000's it was 5hr on the dot from Thredbo to Darling Harbour.

Ozgirl likes this.
  39. Donzah

Add the 25mins from my place to Wilton via Broughton Pass... and yup.

40. Donzah

Depends on traffic. Sometimes it can take 2.5 hrs from Sydney to Picton road if the traffic is shite

41. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Longest I ever took was 14 hours from Thredbo to North Sydney. There were some floods.

42. Ozgirl

still is without traffic.

43. Snow Blowey

We always left around 8pm. Like someone else said, diner before leaving and make the time up on the road in light traffic. Makes the Monaro run much safer as you avoid the tailgating line of incompetence and the main wildlife window (early evening).

Ozgirl likes this.
  44. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

mmm what does that tell you about him? Nothing good that is for sure.

45. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Back in the day, It was Thursday morning to work, afternoon on the road to Jindy. “Head injuries” on repeat!

Arne and Snow Blowey like this.
  46. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

I always had a wetbag/pouch that I kept in my nappy bag to put used cloth nappies in. Thankfully, I don’t remember either of my pair pooing in public all that much once they started on solids. The pouch seemed to contain any nasty smells though, and would get added to the wash with the nappies. We really only used disposables when we were travelling and knew we wouldn’t have access to a washing machine. I actually hated using disposables because disposing of them seemed like a lot more effort than using a nappy pail and washing them every other day.

Ozgirl likes this.
  47. nezumi

The only times we used disposables were overnight (with a heavy wetter and cloth nappies that leaked through capillary action) and while we were in Japan and couldn't guarantee access to washing and drying facilities, plus weight saving as we had everything for all three of us split across a travel backpack and a hiking child carrier.

Peanut and Ozgirl like this.
  48. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

We did years of 2 lots of long weeks when we lived in Sydney. Each trip was something like Friday to Monday for a week plus a bit. Best thing we ever did was join a club with lodges at multiple resorts. We started at Thredbo, then went to Falls Creek for a few years, then Thredbo again till the landslide, then Falls Creek till we psychologically recovered, then Thredbo again. After we moved to the snowy mountains we did Falls Creek and Mt Buller for interschools and ABOM.

Important things when the boys were little was knowing where the toilet stops were, having a stash of kinder surprises, a range of stories or music to play, lego, mobilo etc. Was so over Hairy McClairy form Donaldson's dairy or whatever it is.

Self cater lodges address the issue of fussy eaters. We would cook some meals and take them frozen. Our freezer can be adjusted to go down to -34 or something. Means we could put all the frozen stuff in an esky and know they were still frozen when we arrived, even if we visited my brother in Canberra on the way.

We do long drives well as if I am the passenger I go to sleep. I just need 5 minutes after I wake up and I am good to drive.

We did school holidays and quite often saw the same families year after year. All the kids would go play together and leave the adults in peace. There were some teenagers who kept the peace amongst the younger kids.

Lessons while they were little and until they could parallel. Then we skied with our kids till they left us behind.

Lots of great memories and the time spent with our kids has made us close.

Peanut likes this.
  49. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

That’s one of the things I love about skiing. Everyone in the family gets excited about upcoming trips, and it’s great to spend time together on the slopes, particularly since Mstr 9 made the switch to skiing last season.

sdsdc and Ozgirl like this.
  50. sdsdc

sdsdc Hard Yards

Every weekend in August was the peak. The trip is always drive up to Bright on the Friday night after work, leave work early. Then Falls Creek on Saturday, Hotham on Sunday. Normally meet at a mate's in Essendon so jump on the Hume. Hate the Hume. We try to reduce how long it feels by listening to some good music or whatever else takes our fancy. It's just so boring and long. Where we live in the eastern suburbs we can use the melba hwy and maroondah hwy to Mansfield though, then off towards Benalla to jump on the Hume about 20 minutes from Glenrowan. Much better drive and feels quicker. Try not to stop at the maccas other than for petrol and because my stomach doesn't agree with maccas too often. Hope to get to the pub in Bright on time to get a pizza and a beer/s. Then leave as lifts close on the Sunday, stop in Bright for a pizza on the way home, then drive the rest of the way. Have generally always taken Monday off.

Have only had one trip with the kids and it was no issue. Looking forward to going with them a lot more often once they're older and able to get on some skis or a snowboard.

nezumi likes this.