Driving to the snow over the years

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
Numpties must do what suits you. You are the problem.

here we go...so you'd prefer I run out of road just because a bogan wants to overtake.
I don't get it. Why support bogans? What's wrong with merging back in? ...This is the point people make - why the competition on the road? It's not like this is a bogan demographic?

Rapid lane changes leave little room for error. Should always float. If you are ever wrong and have missed someone in your blindspot it gives them a chance to recover from your mistake.

You know, I thought if I wrote I drift over, someone would cause me of being a numpty... ho ho. I don't mean I am reckless. I am simply merging....and I do check my blindspot religiously.

In places like Mexico City, though, everyone jolts in and out - floating is dangerous. Someone is on the horn just about all the time somewhere. It's a different driving mentality.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Just don't merge too early. Put the indicator on at the 500m mark and prepare to merge smoothly with intent. Rapid lane changes are aggresive and unnecessary

It ain't Mexico,

Reactions: Jonathan_P

Ultra2.0

One of Us
Jan 27, 2020
I think most problems on the road are due to a lack of consideration!
I would call it being impatient. if people just relaxed and were more patient, then 99% of the problems everyone is complaining about, would not be a problem at all. so what if you arrive 2 minutes later.. relax and chill. as mentioned before, the road itself is pretty good. its the impatient Fwits driving it that are the problem.

Jasper Schwarz

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Northern Beaches, Sydney,
I have been driving for less than 2 years. I was always taught one thing. You never know what the other person is thinking or going to do and you should always be prepared for whatever it is they decide to do, be it stupid or illegal.

If you are on the road, it is your responsibility to a) drive safely and legally and b) be completely aware of your surroundings to mitigate risk of an accident at all costs. You need to be able to respond to another driver regardless of what they are doing:

If you see someone about to change lanes and they didn’t check their blind spot do you beep them or let them hit you?

To sit here and insult each other cause of how you change lanes is very unlike this forum, and this thread has surprised me a bit.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
What's wrong with merging back in?
because you are merging you either give way to the overtaking vehicle and slot in behind or speed up to slot in front.

You should be constantly scanning in front and checking mirrors being aware of the situation at all times, if you run out of lane because you aren't reading the situation correctly that sounds like poor driving on your end.

Reactions: Telemark Phat

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
I have been driving for less than 2 years. I was always taught one thing. You never know what the other person is thinking or going to do and you should always be prepared for whatever it is they decide to do, be it stupid or illegal.

If you are on the road, it is your responsibility to a) drive safely and legally and b) be completely aware of your surroundings to mitigate risk of an accident at all costs. You need to be able to respond to another driver regardless of what they are doing:

If you see someone about to change lanes and they didn’t check their blind spot do you beep them or let them hit you?

To sit here and insult each other cause of how you change lanes is very unlike this forum, and this thread has surprised me a bit.
Ahhh grasshopper ;)

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I have been driving for a long time. I learnt from experience of riding a motorbike in Brisbane and Sydney that the best approach is to assume everyone is trying to get you.

Had car with a "don't argue" mudguard at one stage. In traffic you could literally see people change their mind about cutting you off. And love my old volvos. In the 20years we have had a volvo I cannot remember any of them hitting or being hit by another vehicle, unless you count one of my kids hitting one with their pushbike. We have written 2 off in that time. Neither incident was me and both were.... unfortunate.

Reactions: Jasper Schwarz

TACKIE

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2002
warmer climes

Be patient young Padawan. With time and practice you too can become a sanctimonious "worlds best driver." We wish you well on your quest.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
I have been driving for a long time. I learnt from experience of riding a motorbike in Brisbane and Sydney that the best approach is to assume everyone is trying to get you.

Had car with a "don't argue" mudguard at one stage. In traffic you could literally see people change their mind about cutting you off. And love my old volvos. In the 20years we have had a volvo I cannot remember any of them hitting or being hit by another vehicle, unless you count one of my kids hitting one with their pushbike. We have written 2 off in that time. Neither incident was me and both were.... unfortunate.
It’s the hat on the rear parcel shelf that makes everyone keep their distance ;)

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
Why not slow down?
I do when appropriate, like when I am being overtaken with plenty of space.

because you are merging you either give way to the overtaking vehicle and slot in behind or speed up to slot in front.
You should be constantly scanning in front and checking mirrors being aware of the situation at all times, if you run out of lane because you aren't reading the situation correctly that sounds like poor driving on your end.

Couldn't agree more. I don't run out of lane because I do merge back in - that's what I am saying. But I've had a car wanting to get around and closing, as that distance shortens. [I did say initially that some people leave it to the last minute in those conditions. I don't.]

Just don't merge too early. Put the indicator on at the 500m mark and prepare to merge smoothly with intent. Rapid lane changes are aggresive and unnecessary
It ain't Mexico,

That's what I do. [The Mexico reference was just a cultural thing, and a reference to floating vs being aggressive as that came up. There, traffic is so fast and people are constantly switching lanes - if you are too slow the space you are heading for is not there as someone else has got there first..!]

Consideration is key..

Reactions: skull

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
The monaro is the best single lane road I've driven in my life...
Drive it on a Tuesday in November at 10am and argue with me.
Do you even wide open road?

(my computer is not happy right now)
upload_2020-10-23_17-17-56.png

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I wasn't suggesting it was the only single lane each way road. It was a thought about how many of the people who come to the snow drive on similar roads.

I can add to the list, though it really is a long time since I have driven on them, Bell's Line of Road and the Putty road. Lots of memories of driving those roads.

Reactions: dawooduck

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
I wasn't suggesting it was the only single lane each way road. It was a thought about how many of the people who come to the snow drive on similar roads.

I can add to the list, though it really is a long time since I have driven on them, Bell's Line of Road and the Putty road. Lots of memories of driving those roads.
The Princes to about Ulladulla has about twice the average daily traffic of the Monaro, very popular with Sydneysiders :)

Reactions: Telemark Phat

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
My peeps are working on it now!

Other than OT lanes and some parts of towns, it’s close to all two lanes total for the 350km from JB Rd at Falls Creek to the border with Victoria.
It’s better now but you used to have to slow right down when you crossed the border from Vic to NSW on the way to Wonboyn.

I made the mistake of driving up the coast from Wonboyn to Sydney many years ago. Never again we should have cut our losses and jumped inland to the Monaro / Hume.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
It’s better now but you used to have to slow right down when you crossed the border from Vic to NSW on the way to Wonboyn.

I made the mistake of driving up the coast from Wonboyn to Sydney many years ago. Never again we should have cut our losses and jumped inland to the Monaro / Hume.
Definitely go inland and do Monaro/Federal/Hume. Even as far up as Snowy Mts Hwy/Monaro/Federal/Hume. Prolly 30 mins faster, often more, easier driving as well.

Reactions: CarveMan

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Definitely go inland and do Monaro/Federal/Hume. Even as far up as Snowy Mts Hwy/Monaro/Federal/Hume. Prolly 30 mins faster, often more, easier driving as well.
The one good part of that road is that the overtaking lanes are often up hills, something NSW seems to do a lot more than Vic, should be a lot more of it. Steeper the better.

Reactions: climberman

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
The one good part of that road is that the overtaking lanes are often up hills, something NSW seems to do a lot more than Vic, should be a lot more of it. Steeper the better.

interesting Carve:
From memory NSW hills (& road gradients) are steeper - the NSW coastal escarpment is generally much more abrupt than the Vic equivalent. And While the geography (plains) are different on the Hume, I think north of Gundagai, the hills are much meatier than the piddly stuff near Wandong north of Melbourne.

However, on the main approaches to the respective resorts it’s no contest, we have Hotham & Falls, Buller & Buffalo, while Thredbo is mostly Valley with one or two big hills and Perisher is big but moderate most of the length.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass