Driving to the snow over the years

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Actually, what does google reckon, and why?
Screenshot_2020-10-24-14-19-29-64.png

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
My impression is that the Princes Hwy is of lower quality and with a lot more traffic than the Monaro and Snowy Mts Highways and of course the Hume and Federal are divided roads. Your prospects of spending a lot of time cruising at 100 km/hr are much higher inland.

Reactions: climberman
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
It takes too long to get there but worth the drive, 35 years ago I could do Carlingford to Cooma in 4 hours
Flat in my Suzuki Seirra, total disregard of speed limits, I now do Central Coast to Cooma in 4:40 knowing I
Need my licence.(northconex should save another 5-10 minutes)
Monaro hwy. Is heaps better, but I do miss the tight banked bend just south of Numeralla river, if you look in the
Paddock adjcent to the new bend you can still make our the old embankment.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
My impression is that the Princes Hwy is of lower quality and with a lot more traffic than the Monaro and Snowy Mts Highways and of course the Hume and Federal are divided roads. Your prospects of spending a lot of time cruising at 100 km/hr are much higher inland.
Pretty much bang on all around.

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
they try to go around so they don't drop revs. As soon as you lift your foot off the pedal in a truck its game over. So if you are going 95km/hr in a good gear at good revs and you catch a truck doing 90km/hr, its not as simple as dropping back to 90km/hr, because once you back off the pedal you loose the sweet spot and back down through the gears you go until you are crawling up at walking pace.
That's just inconsiderate to other road users plain and simple... Naturally this is from truckies who drive the road (i.e. hume) all the time. So the know they could have maintained a gap to the rig in front on the flat, then timed their run to close that gap uphill as you describe, then make the overtake on flat/downhill... But of course the other trucker sees this and thinks "I ain't git'n passed by no stinkin Kenworth", and speeds up.
It's all in the movie:
"ain't nuthin like a caterpillar engine"

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Monaro closed.
Real bad accident near Williamsdale (just south of).

lonsdale

Hard Yards
Jul 7, 2001
Melbourne
How do people cope with the logistics of regular drives to the snow, especially with M-F work and kids? What resort do people go to - and routes. How often do people go?

For me, coming from the SE it can be a pain to get on to highways, and I hate Black Spur on the way to Mansfield (etc) so often take Yarra Glen.

Work is OK to get on the Hume. Can get the hrs behind me before I even have to think which exit I am talking..

Part of the difficulty is kids - not so much taking them, but organising around, and looking at schedules etc if taking them out of activities, (or indeed childcare, or standins to take to sports). At least singles can take off and be back - then recuperate.

*How often did you make tjhe trip when at your most regular?
*Starting point, resort destination of choice - did starting point make a difference
*Dealing with the drive - stops etc
*'Long' weekend strategies
*Tip and tricks
*What you hate / what you like

Just sent tis to The Alpine Resorts Co-Ordinating Council requesting an explanation:
VICTORIA RSORT CAR ENTRY PASSES

Have just been informed that YOU have directed that an ALL RESORTS Car Pass Entry will NOT be available this year.
No explanation given.
So if I want to Ski Hotham and Falls I now have to purchase 2 Car Passes and if I want to add Mount Buller that means 3 Car Passes.
NSW Parks offers 1 Pass to cover all their areas for a Full Year.
How much more money are you dragging out of my pocket to gain access to the 3 Resorts in Victoria.
A FULL EXPLANATION would be appreciated
Not Happy.
You want us to visit these Mountain Resorts and boost the Local Economy but hit us with 3 seperate costs just to gain access.
What has the Minister and the Local Tourist Councils have to say about this decision?
A response would be appreciated.
Regards,

Reactions: nezumi

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I saw that the Falls Creek earlybird pass pricing has gone out, but I haven't seen anything about the all-resorts pass being unavailable again - has this been made public anywhere?

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Just sent tis to The Alpine Resorts Co-Ordinating Council requesting an explanation:

Have just been informed that YOU have directed that an ALL RESORTS Car Pass Entry will NOT be available this year.
No explanation given.
So if I want to Ski Hotham and Falls I now have to purchase 2 Car Passes and if I want to add Mount Buller that means 3 Car Passes.
How much more money are you dragging out of my pocket to gain access to the 3 Resorts in Victoria.
Not Happy.
You want us to visit these Mountain Resorts and boost the Local Economy but hit us with 3 seperate costs just to gain access.
What has the Minister and the Local Tourist Councils have to say about this decision?
Regards,
You can recoup via regional travel vouchers ROFL:eek::out:

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy

No explanation given.
Not Happy.
Regards,

Lame! Just had a look at falls website:

SEASON PERMITS 2021 BUY ONLINE BUY AT FALLS CREEK
Falls Creek $485
All Victorian Resorts Not available in 2021

Really dont want to fork out $400+ at 3 different resorts :eek:

FatBoyDave

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2013
Melbourne

Falls Creek $485

Are Falls and Hotham no longer on the same pass (used to be reciprocal)?

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
They (entry permits) were never on the same pass... the only way to do that was get the all-resorts (incl Buller, Stirling, BawBaw, Lake Mtn)

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010

Falls Creek $485

So expensive compared to NSW and they still make a loss.

Go figure.

Reactions: snowgum and Sage O

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Noticing the well spaced out traffic on the Monaro this year. Makes for a very safe trip. Must be all those Sydney people that tail gate.
I see there’s talk of (possibly) shutdowns of the NSW resorts soon, depending on the Sydney nos. This week.

it’s a bit to see them running fully with 70-80% of their market locked out? No wonder the roads are pleasant for a change?

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
How do people cope with the logistics of regular drives to the snow, especially with M-F work and kids? What resort do people go to - and routes. How often do people go?

For me, coming from the SE it can be a pain to get on to highways, and I hate Black Spur on the way to Mansfield (etc) so often take Yarra Glen.

Work is OK to get on the Hume. Can get the hrs behind me before I even have to think which exit I am talking..

Part of the difficulty is kids - not so much taking them, but organising around, and looking at schedules etc if taking them out of activities, (or indeed childcare, or standins to take to sports). At least singles can take off and be back - then recuperate.

*How often did you make tjhe trip when at your most regular?
*Starting point, resort destination of choice - did starting point make a difference
*Dealing with the drive - stops etc
*'Long' weekend strategies
*Tip and tricks
*What you hate / what you like
This must be a question from a Victorian perspective.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
We cruised back late Friday after a few weeks at the snow and the traffic out of Canberra could have been any Friday afternoon.

I see there’s talk of (possibly) shutdowns of the NSW resorts soon, depending on the Sydney nos. This week.

ive heard speculation but no actual resort chatter, looking at Thredbo I can see they are doing anything they can to save on costs.

Reactions: telecrag and VSG

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com

it’s a bit to see them running fully with 70-80% of their market locked out? No wonder the roads are pleasant for a change?
I have not heard this but that means nothing. Will have to ask my contacts far more likely to be in the know than me.

Reactions: snowgum

Jestersded

Hard Yards
Aug 18, 2019
I've hit 2 skippys already this year. One that had been hit moments earlier and was lying in the overtaking lane (car had pulled over and was at looking damage) I was doing 110kph was alongside the car I was overtaking, which moments earlier had been doing 85-90kph and sped up when the overtaking lane appeared. Only lost the under engine protection panel.
The 2nd, I was in a looooong line of sunday traffic sitting on about 90kph and out it came. Hit the rear passenger door and rear side panel. Damage to both.

• Wow
Reactions: Billy_Buttons

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Wife was close to hitting a roo on the way down friday night. Just as we hit the dual lane coming out of cooma. A 4wd starts to pass us on the right lane and then a little skippy spotted standing on the line between the two lanes. Luckily he was smart and didn't move so he was passed by both cars on either side of him.

I came around a bends on Alpine way the other week with some big roo just sitting in the lane. Luckily I saw them well in advance and stopped, the sod just sat there looking at me till I tooted the horn.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Dropped Zacette off at the ski tube to meet her school and as I turned back into Thredbo four deer skated across the road on the alpine way, anyone going straight would have had no chance

Reactions: Chaeron and snowgum
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass