DWR down

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by rols, Mar 12, 2018.

1. rols

rols Hard Yards

On the hunt for a new sleeping bag, anyone with experience on if the dwr treated down reduces the need for a water resistant outer shell?

2. Kletterer

Kletterer Still looking for doughnuts
    Ski Pass - Gold

Never an easy choice. I recon you would want to go for DWR on the shell as well.

crackson likes this.
  3. Kletterer

Kletterer Still looking for doughnuts
    Ski Pass - Gold

4. rols

rols Hard Yards

Yeah, just looking at the one planet bags ( bungle V bushlite) only seems to be ~50g extra for the water resistant outer. So extra weight doesn't seem to be a major problem, long as it breaths enough I guess.

5. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Well in answer to the call for help.
    I've been using Nikwax to DWR all my down gear for yonks and it works, although as I keep warning people it isn't a miracle.
    DWR down still gets wet, it just gets much less wet but more importantly it dries out faster. Note tho that I've not bought a new sleeping bag until this year and it hasn't arrived from Nunatak yet. It was still J&H when I bought my Ultras, almost 30 years ago
    As Kletterer says; I do think that you have to have both a DWR'd down and a water resistant /water repellent shell or there is no point. Nikwax does that. Most of the DWR down on the market seems to be using the Nikwax patent treatment tho. There is a possibility that a DWR treated down doesn't loft quite as high but that possibility has to be balanced against the likelyhood of getting the bag wet. OP just topped up and serviced my Ultra. I was happy to pay for the DWR down but $100- for 100 grams was all it cost. One Planet customer service is getting better and it was always good. Remember it may weigh a hundred grams more to start with but at the end of the week it will still only be that 100 grams heavier, non DWR'd bags seem to soak up moisture from insensible perspiration and in our soggy winters we can't always get them out in the sun to dry

rols, Kletterer and Untele-whippet like this.
  6. rols

rols Hard Yards

Thanks for the reply. So the consensus is to get something with a water resistant shell.
    My current warm bag is an Aurora I inherited, re-filled some time in the late 90's when the factory was operating in Melbourne's northern suburbs, it is still pretty warm (it lofts ~18cm when sitting on the floor). But it gets soggy pretty quickly when its in the wet and weighs >1.8kg when it dry, who knows how much when it's wet. An 800+ down bag with a light water resistant shell should raise the comfort bar a bit, as well as losing 7-800g.
    The pertex endurance fabric that One Planet uses for their water resistant shells is quoted to transmit water at 7000 g/m2/24 hours. This seems quite a bit lower than current goretex shell fabrics that seem to be >20000 g/m2/24 hours. Do they get a bit humid inside? Any idea on how the HydronauteXT outer fabric that Mont uses in their bags compares in terms of water transmission?

7. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Pertex Endurance is good but the standard UL fabric breathes much better. How long since you washed the Aurora bag? While I think you deserve a new bag washing and Nikwaxing the old one would give you a great back-up for base camping. Is your bag the original with the green japara shell and the heavy brass zipper?
    Now if you could afford a Pertex Endurance SB cover to go with a standard shell that would be a magic combination and the best of both worlds but with a weight penalty. I don't mind the weight penalty, I had this debate with myself when I bought my Ultras and was tossing between a J&H Winterlite bag and a super Alpine model from MD that had a Goretex shell. In the end i bought an UL bivvy from MDs and the J&H Ultra and have been very happy with the combo
    No idea about the Mont fabric at all but it seems to perform well as a parka shell
    Do you plan to get a lighter bag and boost it with clothing or a bag that is warm enough for our coldest nights wearing just base layers? This can have a bearing on what shell is appropriate as clothing layers can absorb quite a bit of that insensible perspiration and feel more clammy as the pump needs a temperature differential to work best and they all stop working when the outer freezes over anyway. This was why in the end I went with a highly breathable shell and the bivvy and in conversation with OP last month that is what I personally would go with again.

8. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Just sent a PM rols