Early Season Backcountry Trips

Byron

Addicted
Mar 23, 2014
With the recent snowfall I was thinking of doing an early season trip out to on the Main Range, probably up to Ramshead out of Dead Horse Gap.

The weather looks stable, but I was wondering if anyone has beta or opinions about the conditions or snow depth I am likely to encounter up there. As I've never been out this early are there any gotchas I need to be aware of compared to winter or spring touring?

Bike Mechanic

First Runs
Apr 14, 2021
Does anyone know if the NP's shall ban Back country this season like last year? The reason given last year was rescue would place them at risk of Covid19. That's really strange as NP don't conduct rescue. Really hope to get out there this year as it may be the safest place to be with extensive social distancing!

It's the only way us long term ski bums can afford to slide with the cost of lift tickets and NP fees!

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Does anyone know if the NP's shall ban Back country this season like last year? The reason given last year was rescue would place them at risk of Covid19. That's really strange as NP don't conduct rescue. Really hope to get out there this year as it may be the safest place to be with extensive social distancing!

It's the only way us long term ski bums can afford to slide with the cost of lift tickets and NP fees!
Ski tube extensions, banned backcountry... where do you get your fake news from?

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
There's a few choice Facebook posts up of people riding the chutes above Blue Lake last week.

Fozzie Bear

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Good for a bushwalk on skis above 1900m imo. Limited skiability on the higher lee slopes.

Do this a bit, even in early September

IMG_4418.JPG
P9044235.JPG

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
OP

Thin, and icy where you are looking. Snow shoes a maybe, otherwise just hike. With or without classic xc skis and beard.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I think in Victoria there was no backcountry, aside from locals. But that was because they were not allowed to move around, lockdown and all that.

I note, by questions asked all over the place, there are a lot of people who seem to have no idea of what is going on generally. I watched a video of doods riding Thredbo, and they thought they were riding on Mt Kosciuszko. They went on the last day of the season, and had no idea that some trails were closed (in fact they thought that MOST were closed, which was also wrong). And there they are telling people how it is, with no actual idea at all.

Reminds me of a signature.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
went on the last day of the season
I almost went and did some digging the week before as I hear rumours that only some runs were opened. I’m glad I did, some mates still went and said it was pretty limited then there was also an event on that day too.

they still had fun and Thredbo also refunded 1/3 of the ticket price

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass