1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Early September trip to Perisher

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Peanut, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

So I’m a little bit excited. We’ve decided to sneak in a 3 day trip to Perisher as a family over the first weekend in September. There is a local bus company that drives down overnight on the Thursday, and back on the Sunday afternoon, arriving at their depot at midnight. Accommodation is at the Ski Rider Hotel and includes breakfast and dinner. I’m a bit iffy about early September, but it was the only weekend they had available.

Of course, within hours of booking and paying for the trip, I found out my PhD supervisor booked me in for my confirmation panel on the following Monday. He reckons I should be 100% prepared before I go, and that the trip will be good stress relief, so I’m trying not to stress too much.

My other oops moment was thinking that there was no availability after making an online inquiry with the bus company and not hearing back for several weeks, so I went and got a new industrial piercing (bar across the top of my ear) last Saturday. I’m hoping that it has healed enough by the time we go that my helmet doesn’t hurt/irritate it too much.

On the plus side, assuming that the snow is OK, it will be awesome to spend a few days on the snow as a family. Mstr 8 progressed so quickly on skis in NZ last month after doing snowboarding lessons for 2 seasons. By the final day he was comfortable with chairlifts and green runs, so it will be great for him to have the opportunity to practice what he has already learned. Now we just have to make sure the boys know not to take off on us and get lost. There’s a much larger area for them to cover at Perisher than there is at Remarks. :)

Wish us luck!

southpaw likes this.
  2. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: 30 Day

Hope it all goes well. I find every time I booked a trip something always comes up at work so it’s always a juggle. We are going to Perisher the last week of August so hopefully the snow continues to fall and the weather stays cold enough. My 7 and 9 year old girls are getting excited having progressed really well last season.

Peanut likes this.
  3. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

I’ve already let work know I need the day off, so it should be good on that front. I haven’t actually been to Perisher since I was about 19 and barely able to do a snowplough, so it will be fun to explore now that I’m reasonably comfortable on skis.

I also picked up a decent pair of second hand pair of ski pants for Mstr 8 today through gumtree. I noticed in NZ last month that while his pants fit comfortably around the waist, they were riding up his bum. I figure that pants in the next size up should solve that problem.

4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Historically the greatest snow depth has been the beginning of September (although it has been drifting recently). The days are longer. The air is warmer. The vibe is chiller. The snow is firm early but softens. If you are not a manic powderhound it is a great time to ski.

Ted Harper and Peanut like this.
  5. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Sounds like a good advisor. If you aren't ready by that weekend, cramming for a few days is not going to make a difference. Being able to have some fun that requires full concentration is a much better approach.

Peanut likes this.
  6. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

We’ll be skiing with the kids, so going at their pace. Thanks for your feedback. It makes me feel more confident about the timing of our trip.

7. Peanut

Peanut Addicted

He’s awesome. He was also my program coordinator when I was an undergrad and supervised my Honours thesis, so we have a great working relationship.

MarzNC likes this.
  8. GlenH

GlenH Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

I think I know the coach company you refer to and have travelled with them many times. They run a well organised tour.

Peanut likes this.