Early Skiing France - Val Thorens or Val D'lsere

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Picnic101, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Picnic101

Picnic101 First Runs

Hi Guys!

Getting too excited about the upcoming season and thought I would check out either of the above resorts for their Opening days

Both of them are providing similar options for the opening weekend of the 24th November.

Val Thorens offers the weekend deal ( Accommodation+ Ski pass) for 116. Equipment testing is also included. The three valleys will not be open at this time

Val D'lsere offers the weekend deal for 135. Equipment testing as well as an instructor for half the day is included. Not sure if Tignes is accessible at this time of year as well

My question is. What resort offers more terrain at that time of year? I know it depends on the amount of snow fallen but wondered if anyone has experienced both of these opening days?

Wanting to buy some new skis as well so testing the gear is on top of the list. Any information regarding the two will be greatly appreciated.

Love to know your thoughts :)

2. Boodwah

Boodwah One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

VT usually first to open as both village and summit are highest in French Alps

CarveMan likes this.
  3. Picnic101

Picnic101 First Runs

Both of them have the Ski Festivals on during the weekend 24th. Im wondering which resort has more terrain normally open at this time of year. Is the E-Space open during this time?

4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

The only sensible answer is "It depends". There may be snow. There may not be snow.

skiflat likes this.
  5. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us

6. Picnic101

Picnic101 First Runs

Hey guys thanks for the replies.

I guess what I am trying to ask is what opening day provides better entertainment, terrain.. value for money.

The Val Thorens looks alot more set up where as Val D'isere provides more terrain and has the Ski force tour providing equipment rentals.

Any experience from the two opening days would be great.

Thanks

7. crackson

crackson A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

No. You suck.

Everyone is jealous and won't help you.