Technical Earthquakes & Volcanoes

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Of interest. A masive earthquake has been predicted for nz alpine fault. June 18 at 11.32am.
Now Nostradamus has a prediction of a great earthquake on cascadia fault near Vancouva usa between 18th June 2020 and 12th july due to planet alignment. Interesting same dates

If we believe that stuff or not it will be very interesting to watch and hope neither eventuate.

https://future.fandom.com/wiki/2020_New_Zealand_Earthquake
Was sounding very convincing until I read this bit: "Many bridges and roads will be damaged or completely destroyed, and tsunamis up to 30m high will occur in Milford Sound, where over 500 people will die when tour boats, loaded with passengers from the United States and France, will be destroyed." I dont see myself as someone able to predict the future, but even I reckon that there is a pretty good chance that we won't find boats full of people from the US and France in NZ any time soon...
The whole thing is completely laughable(and is probably a joke). Why? Firstly, because of the precision of the prediction:
- a magnitude 8.7 earthquake that will occur
- 11:31 on Thursday, June 18th, 2020
- The final death toll will stand at 9,305
- Aftershocks will continue for years, including a magnitude 7.0 earthquake that will strike just two weeks after the initial quake, killing a further 14 people.
- 9 hotels will completely collapse during the earthquake, and a further 20 will be severely damaged
i.e. Why 9305 deaths, and not 9413? Why 14 people dead from the aftershock and not 17? Why Magnitude 8.7, not 8.4 or 8.9?

Secondly, there is no explanation of why it would happen, why it would happen at that day and time, nor how the numbers were calculated.

Any use of Nostradamus as a predictor for an earthquake in a specific place is absurd, since the place (Vancouver) was not even a town then, nor was the Cascadia fault known or named.

Duckweather

Hard Yards
Jul 8, 2019
Hi folks. It has been soooo long since my last post here :whistle:

I have been less involved with watching quake activity in the past than what I usually have before then. But, I look at the quake activity maps here and there and am still seeing some semi-predictable activity occurring many a time.

Hawaii has been in my sights for months now - and is showing some concerted activity.

Japan has had a run on reasonably sized quakes and I feel there is more to come - maybe a larger quake - but I hope not.

Australia [WA] is behaving in the NW with quakes and tremors as I felt it would. With the raised activity around the equator and tropic lines [Capricorn and Cancer] possibly setting off some activity in that location [offshore Broome]. Other states and territories have been active too [not surprising to me] and we, in Oz, may see an M4 or M4+ soon.

Of course there has been much other activity around the planet. May expand on my thoughts about that soon.

Cheers Duck.

Tsunami

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2019
Cleveland SE QLD
Well if electromagnetc forces caused by planet alignment contributes to earthquakes then December could be huge.
Around 14th is an eclipse
The 21st along with summer soloist is also the day that Jupiter and Saturn our biggest planets alignment occurs which hasnt happened since 1600s.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
It was difficult for me to walk while it was quaking, and it was the first time for me since 2011.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
I'm a bit concerned about the tanks of radioactive waste water at Fukushima Daichi Nuclear power plant..... damage and leakage not out of the question.

I think it's okay. The peak length was very short. 2011's one was big and looooooooooooooong. It was by far the longest one. I think most earthquakes = the peak length is only 5 to 10 secs while 2011's one was like 90 secs to 120 secs with 2 peaks, which scared me seriously. Actually, today's one was just like "oh, just another big earthquake" and the peak length was only 5 secs or so.

Reactions: Spence

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I think it's okay. The peak length was very short. 2011's one was big and looooooooooooooong. It was by far the longest one. I think most earthquakes = the peak length is only 5 to 10 secs while 2011's one was like 90 secs to 120 secs with 2 peaks. Which scared me seriously. Actually, today's one was just like "oh, just another big earthquake" and the peak length was only 5 secs or so.
The M9 quake in 2011 lasted 5 min. The length of time is proportional to the energy released.
I'm on the ground floor, so I can feel everything.... lasted about 2 min. That's why my initial estimate was M7.5, 400km away.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Anyway, even this earthquake is just small and cute as a baby if compared to 2011's mega earthquake, and buildings and facilities in Japan are not designed to be damaged by this level of earthquakes, I assume. That said, I never knew how long the earthquake could last when it was actually hitting, so I was worried.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Anyway, even this earthquake is just small and cute as a baby if compared to 2011's mega earthquake, and buildings and facilities in Japan are not designed to be damaged by this level of earthquakes, I assume. That said, I never knew how long the earthquake could last when it was actually hitting, so I was worried.
This is small enough not to damage buildings too much, but large enough to damage tanks of radioactive waste water at Fukushima Daichi Nuclear power plant, IMO.

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
NW Gunma, Japan 1100m asl
This is small enough not to damage buildings too much, but large enough to damage tanks of radioactive waste water at Fukushima Daichi Nuclear power plant, IMO.
Well, the government is planning to dump them in the sea anyway, so... :whistle:

Guess this may well have triggered avalanches too? Will be a while before we find out everything that's happened. In the meantime, I'm off to bed. Stay safe all.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
190,000 households in Kanagawa Prefecture without power.

Koga city, southwest of Ibaraki also have had some blackout. NHK is reporting so. However, the area where it quaked more (here) doesn't have blackout now.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Well, the government is planning to dump them in the sea anyway, so... :whistle:

Guess this may well have triggered avalanches too? Will be a while before we find out everything that's happened. In the meantime, I'm off to bed. Stay safe all.

Yeah, and I'm not worried anyway. Actually, when people were freaking out on the power plant, the place which is only 20 km away from the power plant had the radiation level which was as low as or lower than London, NY, Paris, etc. People over-reacted, which helped us to buy the ski lodge in Fukushima at an amazingly low price.

Reactions: piolet

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
Yeah, and I'm not worried anyway. Actually, when people were freaking out on the power plant, the place which is only 20 km away from the power plant had the radiation level which was as low as or lower than London, NY, Paris, etc. People over-reacted, so we could buy the ski lodge in Fukushima at an amazingly low price.

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting that collapsing water tanks (or planned dumping for that matter) are good things. Just in case there was any confusion...

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
What local people are scared of is not actual damage caused by the earthquake nor radiation, but financial / economic damage caused by harmful rumors or misinformation. The harmful rumor / misinformation helped us to buy a property very cheaply, however, I hate the fact that people and media are almost always looking for bigger news, which causes harmful rumors /misinformation to spread.

Reactions: mannyk

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
It seems the earthquake caused a landslide, and the landslide hit a highway in Fukushima. Some cars might be hit by the landslide.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
It seems the earthquake caused a landslide, and the landslide hit a highway in Fukushima. Some cars might be hit by the landslide.

No big blackout regions as of this morning (reportedly). It seems this landslide is the biggest damage so far. Fortunately, it didn't hit a car.
EuHqAXyVcAMYsUV.jpg

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
Short but strong in Tomamu. Got the family up and the neighbours out on the snowy cold street though. Felt nearly as shaky as the Hokkaido Sept 2018 shake here but way way shorter. No damage in our area and according to JMA around M3.

Reactions: skifree and Chaeron

Jacksong

Addicted
Oct 2, 2018
Didn't feel anything here in North Niigata, I didn't actually know about it until I saw this thread. I hope everybody is ok.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Didn't feel anything here in North Niigata, I didn't actually know about it until I saw this thread. I hope everybody is ok.

Your smartphone didn't suddenly start saying "Emergency, big earthquake is coming!"?. I think mobile phones in many different regions of Honshu started issuing the early warning very noisily a few secs before it actually started quaking. Sometimes, the sudden very noisy early earthquake warning from smartphones surprise me more than the earthquakes themselves do:p

This is the noisy sounds of the early warning.

About Japan's early warning system (uploaded 10 years ago, so a bit old video, though)

Reactions: skifree

Jacksong

Addicted
Oct 2, 2018
Your smartphone didn't suddenly start saying "Emergency, big earthquake is coming!"?

It is interesting that you say that, I did not receive anything. My previous mobile phone did when North Korea fired missiles over Japan and flood warning during typhoons, Hmm. I wonder because I am with a small cellphone company, not big one, I will check it.

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
Your smartphone didn't suddenly start saying "Emergency, big earthquake is coming!"

I got it about 5-10 seconds before it started shaking... so used to false alarms I was surprised when the shaking started.
Every phone in the house plus the wireless box (防災無線), plus the emergency broadcast speakers outside all going off at once. Very dramatic.

Reactions: Sandy

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Should the Olympics go ahead? Give us a sign oh mighty lord, any sign!

Im always amazed at the frequency of earthquakes in Japan, a fact of life living there I guess. Like living on a Volcano. Hope no one got hurt or killed though.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Seismic Intensity Scale was 6 Upper in some areas of Fukushima Pref and Miyagi Pref this time. For a lot of foreigners who are not used to earthquakes yet, Seismic Intensity Scale 3 is scary enough, however, for Japanese people, 3 is just a small earthquake that they experience almost every month. Scale 5 (especially 5 Upper) or bigger is big enough to fear Japanese people. I think about 20 times I've experienced Seismic Intensity Scale 5 or bigger in Ibaraki and Fukushima since 2011.
1*Ca_yV0l_zkWiFtgRttb4sA.jpeg

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Your smartphone didn't suddenly start saying "Emergency, big earthquake is coming!"?. I think mobile phones in many different regions of Honshu started issuing the early warning very noisily a few secs before it actually started quaking. Sometimes, the sudden very noisy early earthquake warning from smartphones surprise me more than the earthquakes themselves do:p

This is the noisy sounds of the early warning.

About Japan's early warning system (uploaded 10 years ago, so a bit old video, though)
Still remember the 9.1 warning in Tokyo Bay.:mad:

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
A big qhake at my place in Yokohama. Lasted about 2min.
Not close by, so my guess is Magnitude 7.5, 400km away.
Only 60km offshore from Fukushima Daichi Nuclear power plant.

M7.1 about 380km from my place.

Another right now, still going, about 1 min+. Similar magnitude and location I think. (around M7)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass