echidna

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2003
Melbourne
But what about avalanche !!!

No tsunami threat following Victorian quake​

By Broede Carmody and Clay Lucas​

In case you were wondering, the Victoria State Emergency Service has confirmed there is no tsunami threat following this morning’s earthquake.

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
We're on stumps. House moved alot.
Two kids were still in bed, they came running out of their beds. Dog thought it was great, grabbed his squeaky toy and had an attack of the mads.
Best mate was in Emerald woolies, most of the customers in store came running out into the car park.
Definitely biggest one we've ever felt.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Guys, sorry to be THAT media guy chasing people during a serious event, but some of you will know I work part-time writing stories for Weatherzone. And while earthquakes are not strictly weather, we often do stories on them (especially a big local one like this!), so if anyone in the VIC High Country near Mansfield or even further afield like @Snowy Joey felt this quake and is willing to chat very briefly with me and share a couple of lines about their experience, I would be very much obliged if they'd share their number via PM and I will call straight away. Thanks - Ant Sharwood.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Could be deaths..... Many brick structures in Australia are unreinforced, so collapsing structures are likely to be common.
Yes.
All those would be comedians trying to outdo each other rushing to Twitter may find their hilarity tempered when we actually know what's happened

Reactions: Chaeron

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Now I understand why it felt like the building I am in was swaying about an hour ago. It was! On the one day a week I am in the office in Canberra’s CBD I felt a weird sensation of swaying and thought it was a reaction to new medication I’ve started. Quite validating really :eek:

Principal Douglas

Lapsed Perisher Skier
Ski Pass
Mar 21, 2002
Orange, NSW
I was sitting at my desk in Dubbo and the desk swayed gently. I'd just finished my second coffee in about 20 minutes and thought i was seeing things. Thought i had better lay off the coffee for a while.
I didn't feel a thing in Orange but tbh I'm not the most observant guy around :oops:

Mishka

Hard Yards
Jul 10, 2015
So we just survived the Biggest Earthquake in the World, ah-hum, 'Today'.

No, really, the last one was a 6.4 in Chile over 24 hours ago

We might be able to claim the 22-Sep for ourselves

Don't think that's happened before

Mishka

Hard Yards
Jul 10, 2015
Actually, I think we just dodged a pretty big bullet, to be honest. Looking at the map from USGS it shows the real quake was in a part of Vic where just about nobody lives. Even Mansfield and Buller were not in the thick of it. If this had landed under Melbourne I doubt we would be joking around.
1632271573243.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass