"Easiest" black run @ Perisher

Nidecker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
IMO If you can do Excelerator comfortably you can do just about anything at Perisher.
It’s steep and gets Icy and Bumpy.

Excelerator isn't so much the actual run, but the run out can be sketchy if you are going too fast to make the left at the bottom and not hit the trees**

**on a snowboard :)

don't ask me how I know :)

Jasper Schwarz

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Northern Beaches, Sydney,
Excelerator isn't so much the actual run, but the run out can be sketchy if you are going too fast to make the left at the bottom and not hit the trees**

**on a snowboard :)

don't ask me how I know :)
Seen that happen before.
Kid was very lucky to get up and walk away.

I had a great stack on the excelerator once. Up the top early last year. Snow making on the gluggy, icey stuff. Un waxed skiers.

Was flying on teh base, hit the artificial stuff, lurched way forward and popped right. Lesson learnt on waxing an watching out

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
over50skifitness.blogspot.com
Daughter wants to extend herself this year. So we are seeking advice on the easiest black runs.
Wherever you decide to go, best to take a run beforehand on the same day without her. Even on groomed blacks, snow conditions can very widely. Also can be helpful to ask an instructor who knows her what trails to consider.

My home hill (near Washington DC) has 2 black trails at the top, no other way down. The long one takes me 2 min to finish and maybe 5 min for an adventurous intermediate. Took my friend's daughter, age 11, there for the first time last season. She was more than ready even though she's probably only skied 3 days per season in the past 4 years. Has been doing ski school. But we waited until the snow was really nice. Also, I'd practiced with her making turns on the short, steep section at the top of the harder blue. Only 3-4 turns but no steeper than the black trails.

I've never messed up taking a kid to terrain that was too challenging and scary for them. But have with adults who are cautious intermediates. ;)

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA
Rollercoaster, Weekend, 2:00pm onwards

#1 - it'll be chopped up
#2 - when it's got bumps, they'll be the size of VM Bugs
#3 you can do laps in a short enough time frame to actually remember and learn from the last run
#4 it never gets so busy that you have to stop concentrating on what you're doing, and start worrying about what the fuckhead up and behind you is going to do

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
IMO If you can do Excelerator comfortably you can do just about anything at Perisher.
It’s steep and gets Icy and Bumpy.
Lower part of Towers, Parachute and Zali's probably fit into same category, although most are Blue, are probably good 'grading up' places. Steep enough to be a black as an off piste run but nicely groomed and even so you get to practice turns on the steeper pitch without the issues of variable snow and terrain obstacles. Then as they day progresses the snow chops up and lumps up so you get to practice on the steeper pitch in more variable snow. Next step is on to something like the Screw with similar pitch but terrain obstacles thrown in for good measure.

Reactions: Jasper Schwarz

Genghis Khan

Hard Yards
Jul 3, 2018
Why stick to marked runs? Kids love playing in the trees and Perisher has perfect progressions on pitch in lapable areas - interceptor is a good place to start.

If the snow conditions get in the way of the trees, the groomed runs off interceptor are still pretty good fun with a bit more interesting terrain features than most other parts of the resort.

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Double trouble is "double black". If you follow the trail markers, there is nothing harder than an ungroomed medium blue. You do have to negotiate trees though. I think they only mark it like that to stop people going, as it is a massive area to patrol. Also, there are some genuine steeps available, if you go off the trail, or hike up the hill a bit

Nightskywatcher

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
Double trouble is "double black". If you follow the trail markers, there is nothing harder than an ungroomed medium blue. You do have to negotiate trees though. I think they only mark it like that to stop people going, as it is a massive area to patrol. Also, there are some genuine steeps available, if you go off the trail, or hike up the hill a bit
Robbo I think you mis-read the title, easiest black runs, not suicide runs LOL

Byron

Addicted
Mar 23, 2014
Kamikaze and Rock Garden are ones to avoid. Even when they're in condition there are so many rocks and trees in addition to the gradient make it a proper challenge.

NathanF

Hard Yards
Jun 11, 2011
As others have said, Parachute (hardly ever open though) or The Screw. I would avoid anything off the Olympic T-Bar as it can be a bit scary up there, especially for someone that isn't used to steep faces. North Perisher T-Bar isn't too steep and is mostly black because the terrain isn't consistent but its bit other of the way compared to the other two options.

The Screw is only black because of the obstacles, if there is a lot of snow its probably easier than Zali's. I think it was 2018 I got to Blue Cow one morning and looked over to Guthega and what looked like (and was) The Screw appeared to be groomed which I had never seen before. I straight lined it twice before there was really anyone else around which was a heap of fun.

Goanna

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2003
Tasmania
Agree with Robbo, pretty mellow area with plenty of fun to be had in the trees without worrying about steep gradients. Can get a little tight but simply go carefully, snowploughing and side slipping where necessary. A good place to try this area initially is between the Pleasant Valley offload and Pleasant View trail.

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
The Screw is only black because of the obstacles, if there is a lot of snow its probably easier than Zali's. I think it was 2018 I got to Blue Cow one morning and looked over to Guthega and what looked like (and was) The Screw appeared to be groomed which I had never seen before. I straight lined it twice before there was really anyone else around which was a heap of fun.
Ah yes I still reminisce about that year!

Reactions: NathanF

VSG

Crayon Master
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Parachute is da bomb.

Click on images for large.

parachute 2.jpg
parachute 1.jpg

J_busworth

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2017
Coogee, NSW
transportnswblog.com
Yarrandoo and The Screw are both quite nice and achievable, and i've found the North Face off North Perisher T-Bar to be fairly mellow in good snow conditions.

Ones to avoid would be Kamakaze, Rock Garden and Double Trouble. They probably wouldn't fit the bill.

Reactions: Lady Penelope

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
Guthega for intro blacks purely on less traffic and people in the way of first timers on black terrain.
Guthega less traffic?
Its the busiest part of Perisher most weekends now...ridge excepted.

VSG

Crayon Master
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Guthega less traffic?
Its the busiest part of Perisher most weekends now...ridge excepted.
Choose the time to visit wisely, grasshopper. It is not Coronet or Remarkables, or Cardrona or Mt Shutt. Aussies typically feed in large herds at certain times... choose your time to get lifts over wisely. and leave. Aaaah.

Kash

One of Us
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
Front Valley isn't the steepest but it is definitely the most challenging of all the Perisher terrain - it will not only test her skill but her patience like nowhere else on the mountain.

Hypertrail isnt black but its pretty steep and remains one of my favs. Most of the black runs at Perisher are good for about 5 days in total during the season and the rest of the time are actually pretty $hit. Agree that when Parachute is on its amazing.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
The year they had so much snow they groomed The Screw was the best. That was like New Zealand in Australia for me.

But I digress, you wanted Black runs.
Or the time they groomed Yarandoo. Twas a lot a fun

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
The easiest Black runs are in Centre Valley around the L Chair and Lawson T. Very short runs that mostly turn blue , think top of Powder Ridge ,a run through the Cleft and just right of Lawson. All are marked as Black so must be considered as such. I actually like them for warm up runs on first couple of trips up the L Chair because they are so short.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
North and South Face at North P provide a variety of "black" lines. Some more challenging than others.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass