1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

"Easiest" Mt Perisher runs...??

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by CGradeCyclist, Jul 7, 2014.

1. CGradeCyclist

CGradeCyclist Hard Yards

Hi all,

Five full days at Perisher ahead off us next week - can't wait. Keen to fully explore the resort - and after some experienced advice on Mt Perisher.

We are 2 adults/2 teenagers. Probably straddle the 'good beginner'/'low intermediate' spectrum of ability. Hopefully all confident/skilled enough to tackle some solid intermediate runs in the last couple of days. Only experience at Perisher is a weekend a couple of eyars ago, where we just smashed up the front/happy/pretty/pleasant valleys.

Would like to have a ski in the Mt Perisher area at some point. Ride Australia's highest chairlift and all that... :) So we don't get ourselves in trouble, just thought I'd ask which runs on MtP are the 'easiest' or least chalenging, so we don't find ourselves out of our depth up there when we initially explore...

Thanks in advance!!

2. ojisan

ojisan Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Not many easy runs off Mt P..
    Maybe towers or the runs off international.

3. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

just take big wide and slow turns and you'll be able to get down most of the runs. If it looks like it will become a narrow run, go for the path that looks wider.

4. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Towers.

I was going to suggest going off towards Sun Valley, but that is leaving Mount P.

Heading wide around to Eyre could be problematic. But once there, do laps of the Eyre T bar

#4 VSG, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  5. jward101

jward101 Hard Yards

Pretty much this. Start with Towers and then traverse off the triple (if you're not confident about using the double or if its not running) to get out to the edge of the resort for plenty of varied and not too difficult^ terrain. The bottom half of the run is the more difficult section so don't come at it with speed on your first slide down :)

^ If you're confident with Towers then the area between Wylies and 'Come Back again' is your next best bet in terms of similar gradients / bumps. Its not groomed of course so pick your weather and time of day (the arvo after Towers gets a bit bumpy can be nice).

I'd say try it with an easy off/relaxing traverse from the Triple down past the HV T and straight back to the Triple if you're keen to do it again. :)

6. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

@CGradeCyclist in your OP, do you actually mean "Mt Perisher" or are really asking about "Perisher" as entire resort?

From your description I suggest you spend a fair bit of time at Blue Cow and Happy Valley, I think you'll love it

7. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Ummm I reckon towers is the hardest.
    Mainly cause of the amount of traffic vs the width vs the gradient
    Heaps of more mellow groomers towards sun valley and down to Eyre .

8. rocketboy

rocketboy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Sun Valley off Mt P - has a whole slew of runs down it at the moment that are easy blue. You only have that final steep lip down to SV tbar - but long traverses can get you down that with ease in the middle of the day before it ices up after 2pm. Then an easy long glide back down to the Mt P triple or double chairs - below the unHappy Valley tbar queue. Just take an easy first run down and get a good track worked out and repeat with a few tweaks. Morning queue on Triple was a bit boring today. They need a Greenie out there to make people triple up and not go for a lazy double - and the line will be cleared much faster.

9. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo Ski Pass: Gold

Towers early before the crowd and mounds are cut in. Then Eyre. Exhibition first. When you come to Snow fences. Cross over to Wylie's.

10. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Social Media Mod

I'm with Donza. If Towers is busy, it's not the place for unsure skiers. Too narrow to cope well with mixing slow lane skiers and faster traffic.

11. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

I'd look at Pleasant Valley @ Blue Cow - nice and long, quite gentle gradient, reliable cover, fast quad. Can get busy with ski school bug most PV would also have that problem.

As one improves, there's lots of dips and mini slopes to vary the run. :cool:

Depending on accommodation, Smiggins has some nice easy terrain, although a bit lower and less reliable & shorter runs than Front Valley or Blue Cow.

12. cold wombat

Once you get your mojo happening, spend some time burning down Zalis in Blue Cow.

13. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future! Ski Pass: Gold

My first blue run was Towers, with a ski school group. Our instructor steered us onto the cat track around the steep narrow bit in the middle, to avoid those issues. Above and below that, we were fine.

I'd suggest warming up a bit before going to Mt P. Maybe have a go at the duplex T runs at Smiggins (Blanchy's, Plummer's) which are easy for blues but still a step up, or Side Saddle at Blue Cow.

14. ojisan

before it gets icy..

15. CGradeCyclist

CGradeCyclist Hard Yards

Hi Doonks. Yep, meant "Mt Perisher". We rode Happy Valley heaps last time (& loved it) - will likely do that again too, but wantto try and explore the bits of the resort we haven't seen yet (within our ability though).

Closest we got to Blue Cow was the Pleasant Valley runs (which we also loved), so also planning to get around there much more, and getting acros to Guthega.

16. CGradeCyclist

CGradeCyclist Hard Yards

Cheers snowgum.

Our lessons will be at Smiggins (which we haven't skiied at before), so I reckon we'll get a good exploration of that area! Hopefully how well we progress across Smiggins from the greens to the blues will be a good indicator of whether or not we are ready to tackle Mt P later in the week... :)

17. CGradeCyclist

CGradeCyclist Hard Yards

Oh, ok. Thanks rocketboy. I was gonna avoid Sun Valley due to all the 'double blue' designations on the runs there...?? Will give it a try, but try and use the runs 'above' the t-bar on the map (like the one that comes off Vista) - does that sound right?

Thanks again... :)

18. CGradeCyclist

CGradeCyclist Hard Yards

Cheers Donza. Will keep that in mind, especially if its busy...

And many thanks to all for your advice, & being so generous with it...!! Genuinely appreciate it... :)

19. cold wombat

Just do nice big turns when it gets icy.

20. ojisan

or snowplow

21. cold wombat

Ouch. What hell would you visit on us?

22. ojisan

23. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

@CGradeCyclist

Just watch Sun Valley on warm days when the snow gets soft and heavy. Can be nasty for new skiers.. fall alot.
    But everything everyone else says is spot on. About Sun Valley. :D

24. cold wombat

Moguls prevent you from doing a snowplough. That is a "good thing". Just a pity they send my legs in opposite directions!

25. azzski

azzski Should know better Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

This. That chair is a more favourable place to hang at that "early blue" level, doing Zalis and Side Saddle, than messing around with the high traffic and narrow areas around Towers on Mt. P. Maybe venture over to the Ridge chair if it isn't too crowded (unlikely). If you can manage the bottom third of Excelerator/Roller Coaster and the icy patches/chopped up slush, you should be fine with anything Mt P will throw at you on the blues.

Pleasant Valley is pretty green, but you can take some fun trails down to the Interceptor chair from the top of Pleasant Valley that you may enjoy.

26. Mtn2Sea

Mtn2Sea Addicted

Hope CGradecyclist doesn't mind me posing a question here. I am probably similar level and looking to push myself a bit this year. Rode most green runs at Perisher last year and late in the season tackled the blue runs at Merritts, High Noon and Supertrail/World Cup from behind Eagles Nest down to Kosi Mid Station. No problems with these runs. Is someone able to compare these Thredbo Blues to the ones on Mt P in terms of difficulty? Thanks for the advice.

27. Adricat

Adricat Addicted

I reckon High Noon & World Cup are pretty similar to Mt P steepness wise, particularly the groomed areas of Mt P. I'dd say most if not all of the Perisher blue runs would be fine for you.

28. PaulB36

PaulB36 Hard Yards

Your lessons might start at Smiggins, but over the week your instructor is likely to take you elsewhere.

29. sixty_eight

sixty_eight One of Us

If High Noon didn't scare the crappers out of you (especially if it was icy) then you should have no problems between the chairs on Mt Perisher.

Goats Gully is a good litmus test for you in terms of Mt Perisher. As Donza says, Towers run (especially the last section) is probably harder than Eyre and International, where you can find some reasonably easy lines down to the botton of the T-bar. I spent a long weekend out at Eyre at the end of my second year skiing (maybe 15 days experience max) and I was fine. And I was in no way a "natural" at picking up skiing.

When my son was 10 he wanted to ski Mt Perisher. I had visions of him getting too much speed and getting out of control down the front face, so I took him down Burnum Burnum instead and made him practise lots of turns all the way down. When he was 13 he did about 6 turns on the front face and was at the bottom. I was still languishing halfway down. I don't ski with him on Mt P any more.

30. Mtn2Sea

Mtn2Sea Addicted

Thanks Adricat and sixty_eight. High Noon wasn't icy, September 2013, chopped up slush on the steep section. I love that steep bit on Goats Gully just as you come off Yabby Flat, if the Quad wasn't such a crowded pain I would ride that more often. Only 20 more sleeps and I will be into it. Cheers guys.

sixty_eight, I know what you mean about kids. After 30 yrs of surfing I picked up boarding pretty easy and had a weeks boarding head start on my two sons. After they had one private lesson on Front Valley on their first day boarding I couldn't keep up with them, and I was trying.

31. waylow

waylow Hard Yards

Wombats over at Guthega is a nice blue run

32. CGradeCyclist

CGradeCyclist Hard Yards

Epic thread resurrection!

Yes, it's been 5 years since I've been skiing... o_O Today was my 3rd (& final) day of this trip. Did a few laps of Happy Valley - Leichhardt, and stared hard at the Mt Perisher chairs each time I went past...

Eventually plucked up the courage and skiied down to the Mt P Double, & then furiously studied the Towers Run as I headed up. Suffice to say I had worked myself into a panicked frenzy by the time I reached the top!

But I had nothing to fear, totally loved it. Certainly tested me, and I literally wooped for joy & relief each time I reached the bottom - but it was awesome fun.

Just wanted to post this up for anyone else who may have the same initial question as me. Towers as a 'lower intermediate' skier = challenging but definitely doable, & lots of fun to boot... :)

IAB and snowgum like this.
  33. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future! Ski Pass: Gold

LEL I scared myself shitless on Towers at about 11.30am one day about a week ago. That drop-off halfway down was hard and icy down the middle, with lots of potential snags in the soft stuff along the edges. I should have gone as soon as it opened. I couldn't wait to get off it.

But the adrenaline boost made me rip the Leichhardt loop the next couple of times around.

When they're open, I recommend Bloody Mary and Karl's over at Guthega as easier blue runs to build up to Towers.

CGradeCyclist likes this.
  34. Skiing Gus

Skiing Gus Hard Yards

Schanxl is good too!

CGradeCyclist likes this.