1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

East Kiewa / Moncrief Fire Trails

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by surveyorcam, Oct 26, 2017.

1. surveyorcam

surveyorcam Hard Yards

Hi There.
    Just wondering if anyone has been up (or down) the East Kiewa Fire Trail or Moncreifs Gap Track from Big River lately? What are conditions like with fallen trees and such. I had heard East Kiewa was quite overgrown.
    Cheers
    Cam

2. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Team Bears cannot help as we have not been in Moncrieffs for a decade....it can have lots of fallen trees when you get under Little Bogong Peak.....it should be clean as it's an important Firetrail for fire fighting purposes.....crossing helipad ,passing Quartz Ridge track and crossing over Big River at ford and climbing up near Timms Lookout ....probably changes name a few times along here.
    It should be cleared for summer fire fighting and the then it would provide a good Mt.Bike journey all the way to Watchbed Ck.

Not sure if you mean East Kiewa Fire Trail or West KFT......

ladycamper likes this.
  3. surveyorcam

surveyorcam Hard Yards

Yeah, a few name changes on the way up I think, looking for a good off-road way to ride up from MtBeauty as you suggest all the way to Watchbed. I think the option is either Moncreifs onto Little Bogong Track onto Big River Fire Trail. Or alternatively East Kiewa Fire Trail onto Big River Fire Trail. At least that's the names Google Maps is giving them. Starting from the Rock Pool Road in Mt Beauty.

ladycamper likes this.
  4. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I think the East Kiewa track would be the better option. I can only speak directly from a bit over a year ago what it was like above where Ropers and Wild Dog Track meet up with it and it was fine for riding. Hope you have good legs unless you are riding a horse then it will need good legs. Although a road, it is still a very nice walk but there are some signage issues (lack of) on it, particularly at intersecting tracks so map, compass and GPS would be helpful. Some of the track is used for access to the hydro system and like Steve said, it is a very important fire access route. Paddlers have been known to lug their yaks up there when the Big River is in good flow.

Ubiquitous Steve and ladycamper like this.
  5. surveyorcam

surveyorcam Hard Yards

Yeah I hope the legs are good too!! I spoke to Parks and though they haven't been up it (East Kiewa) yet this season it is normally in rideable condition. Sounds like Moncriefs would be hike a bike territory but gets the climbing done quickly.

6. Ubiquitous Steve

That Moncriefs fire trail is like twenty kms into Quartz Ridge Turn off ....well it seems that long...goes for ever.I think you just keep taking every track to the left comming in from Mt Ck Picnic Ground....gradients not too steep but it goes in and out of all those gullies running down from the top.And it's got some hairpin bends before the helipad from memory.....

Chaeron likes this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Talk to ParksVic in Mt Beauty about how much use Moncrieff's Gap track gets. And they might know its condition.

When I walked it years ago there was heaps of trees down on it.

8. surveyorcam

surveyorcam Hard Yards

Can happily report East Kiewa open and clear and a great way of accessing the high country by mountain bike. Slow going between Big River and Timms Spur due to fallen timber and heaps of leaf / stick litter. Pretty friendly gradients, but go on for a long time at fairly constant grade.

Charlie and Ziggy like this.
  9. Ubiquitous Steve

Good work..it's nice in the tall forest of Alpine Ash.Did you set out from near Clover Dam from Bogong Highplains Rd....

10. surveyorcam

surveyorcam Hard Yards

Rock Pool Road Mt Beauty

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

I have looked at the map and wondered about Moncrief's track from Mtn. Creek picnic ground out towards the Quartz Ridge trail head.

Chaeron likes this.
  12. Ubiquitous Steve

It's a goer.....it is a long way.....but lots of creeks are crossed ...so plenty of water.Its an important fire trail...It should be clear...it should have been dozed leading into fire season.....but I would check with DSE and Parks Vic to see what it's status is?Get hold of a Mt Bike....it should be a good ride......stash bike go do Quartz Ridge Mt B. West Peak and return same way.