1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Easter hike inspiration needed

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Sydlouise, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Addicted

With the Easter long weekend coming up I've been trying to think of ideas for a longer pack walk, looking for something I wouldn't normally get the opportunity to do on a normal weekend.

I also thought about taking the days off around Anzac to make it a 10 dayer but Overland track booked out and the other longer Tassie walks looked too hard for me, NZ flights are through the roof, Great Ocean walk looks... a little bit boring to be honest, unless someone has done it and has good things to say? Fraser Island great walk holds some potential but very expensive transport connections for a solo traveller though (need to catch 4WD taxis to start and finish)- plus I'm much more of a cold weather person. I did Mittagong to Blackheath one Easter in a group but I wouldn't tackle that alone so I'm out of ideas for a proper 7-9 day walk.

So I'm thinking of just preserving my leave and doing something over the Easter long weekend- about 4-5 years ago I did Kanangra to Kosi solo and really enjoyed it despite compass magnetising and my boot soles falling off on day 1. I'd like a similar experience- minus the broken gear and sore feet.

I've done some googling and Budawangs circuit sounds appealing- an area I've never hiked. Any suggestions on a good four day route here? I've been reading peoples trip reports and they all seem to go different ways rather than a particularly popular circuit.

Or any other suggestions for a four day walk around NSW? Nothing superhuman, my knee hasn't recovered from an ugly break so no land speed records will be set and rock scrambling ability very reduced. I can navigate but prefer track walking than bush bashing for the sake of it.

Would love to hear your ideas :)

Jacko4650 likes this.
  2. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Well I reckon the Western Arthur Range in Tassie is the best walk in Australia, but it is fairly hard and you have to carry 10 days food. I managed to do it a decade ago, but a 35 year old friend, who is fitter than me, failed when he tried to do it a couple of years ago.

The second best walk IMHO is Frenchmans Cap which isn't overly hard, especially now the dodgy bit over the Sodden Loddon Plains has been rerouted. It can be done fast in 3 days, but it's better to do it in 5 days, spending two nights at the decadently luxurious Lake Tahune Hut which allows you to fully explore the summit area and even venture out to Clytemnestra, the Frenchman's lesser known sister. If people are really gung-ho and don't want to walk out the way they came, the walk can be done as a circuit by heading down the track to the Franklin and then going off track to Mary Creek Plain and Flat Bluff. But that last bit is rather gruelling.

Yep, the Great Ocean Walk is a triumph of a snappy name and good marketing. When I did it, it seemed to be linking a few very good sections with a LOT of dull and boring bits. If I were to do something like it again, I'd just car shuttle between the good bits.

Budawangs... well the central bit (I forget its name) is really great, as is The Castle. But there long and unexciting approaches from the nearest roadheads and it probably isn't safe to do the sort of rock scrambling required if you are alone.

May I suggest a nice cruisy area that is good for a solo walker might be the Bogong High Plains near Falls Creek. An endless variety of views, minor peaks and rustic huts. If you want to climb a "real" mountain, there are few routes up Feathertop that aren't that tiring, or if you want a bigger challenge, Mt Bogong is nearby.

3. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Budawangs are pretty good, big effort day one usually.

There are some excellent walks in Namadgi NP @ecowain could recommend some for sure. I like from old Bobyon into Mt Kelly and Mt Namadgi areas, via Sams FT, which is very overgrown these days. Gives you some good peaks to bag, mix of trail, and off track though, but easy.

zapruda likes this.
  4. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Nadgee area.

zac150 likes this.
  5. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Not a bad call.
    Might need a booking?
    Mallacoota to Nadgee is a great walk.

Majikthise likes this.
  6. Gimp

Gimp One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Washpool south to north, take a compass. Point lookout to Thora

7. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Is Easter a good time? My experience of Easter walking is struggling to find a spot to pitch a tent.

8. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I think Nadgee is only open at specific times of the year. I think in school holidays.

9. ecowain

ecowain One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Mallacoota to nadgee would be a great walk based on what you say you are looking for.

A fair bit of Namadgi that @telecrag mentions would be a step above mittagong to katoomba, but yes heading from yankee hat towards gudgenby and mt namadgi or sentry box is lovely walking. The off track might be daunting for you solo though, as you mentioned.

Maybe a walk from kiandra, looping past broken dam, happys, brooks huts, summiting tabletop and maybe far bald, returning via 4 mile hut. Easier nav, nice time of year out there in autumn.

But hey, if you can walk kanangra to kosi in a long weekend, what would I know, you'll smash all the options we've mentioned in only a couple of hours :)

10. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Addicted

[QUOTE="ecowain, post: 3831046, member:

But hey, if you can walk kanangra to kosi in a long weekend, what would I know, you'll smash all the options we've mentioned in only a couple of hours :)[/QUOTE]
    Lol! Just saw the typo. You can tell I've got a one tracked mind. It was definitely kanagra to katoomba over 3 days. My favourite part was barely seeing anyway, anti social bliss. Just a weirdo Christian couple who couldnt shutup about how I was walking solo. Lucky they weren't doing the whole track.

ecowain likes this.
  11. Legs Akimbo

Lol! Just saw the typo. You can tell I've got a one tracked mind. It was definitely kanagra to katoomba over 3 days. My favourite part was barely seeing anyway, anti social bliss. Just a weirdo Christian couple who couldnt shutup about how I was walking solo. Lucky they weren't doing the whole track.[/QUOTE]
    I assumed that the Kanangra to Kosi was a brain snap for Kiandra to Kosi. If you haven't done that walk it is a classic 3 or 4 day walk.

12. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Hopefully I am taking the tadpole up to and around the Falls Creek area for some mild and easy walking over Easter, 6 YO so time to get him hooked

currawong, Tanuki and Sydlouise like this.
  13. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Addicted

I thought that one was a week plus? A good one to add to my wishlist actually.

currawong likes this.
  14. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Adding to @ecowain's list maybe The Dargals or Geey Mare.

15. Legs Akimbo

I've done Selwyn Quarry to Thredbo over Easter. I think Kiandra adds an hour or so. Selwyn to Thredbo is about 65 km as the cocky flies.

Bogong likes this.
  16. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Warrumbungles Hightops trail ( in foreground ) is nice and probably quieter than some of the other suggestions here. Bluff Mountain is super impresive.

sbm_, piolet, Sydlouise and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Have you walked the Round Mtn. loop in the KNP clockwise?. Round Mtn. Hut/ Tumut River/ Farm Ridge/ Bogong Creek/ O Keefe's hut/ Dershko's hut/ day walk to Mt. Jagungal/ Return to Round Mtn. car park.

Have you walked the whole Bogong High Plains from Bogong Village as a loop?
    Bogong Village/ Bogong jack Saddle/ The Fainters/Tawonga Huts/ Young's hut/ Ryder's hut/ Cope Saddle hut/Cope Hut/ Langford Gap Hut/ Fitzgerald's hut/ Edmondson's hut/ Roper's hut/ Spion Kopje/Bogong Village.

Have you walked the whole Northern Prom. circuit?

Have you walked From Guthega Power station to Valentine's hut and back via Horse camp Hut in the KNP ?

Walking in the Mt. Clear/ King Billies area of the AAWT is great but finding water out there can be interesting in Autumn.

Sydlouise and Bogong like this.
  18. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Tas options are a bit awkward at present with fire initiated access closures. It also means those that are open will be busy.

Sydlouise and POW_hungry like this.
  19. Majikthise

I understand the 'bungles are dry as atm. Great area though..
    If it weren't for the logistics Kaputar traverse would be in the mix.

Sydlouise and Kletterer like this.
  20. CaptainC

CaptainC Hard Yards

Hannells Spur, see the thread on this

Sydlouise likes this.
  21. bluestick

bluestick One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Can’t go past jagungal area. From GPS or nimmo/ adaminiby or grey mare via grey hill or pretty plain wheelers etc. vic high plains via fainted also. There’s a great recent guide book on jagungal area alternatives

22. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

I agree, my favourite area to visit in summer or winter BUT over Easter it will be absolutely packed to the rafters.

Sydlouise and ecowain like this.
  23. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Addicted

Thanks for all your amazing suggestions I've started researching them all for future trips and gotten quite a new wave of excitement for bushwalking, something I gave up altogether when I discovered caving and canyoning back in the day.

Unfortunately a lot of the car shuffles for these multi-days are looking really difficult without a group to hike with (which I'm not keen on really, following a leg injury I prefer to be completely at my own pace without feeling like I need to keep to the group speed, and its quite random when it feels fine and when it swells up and hurts like hell).

In a slight change of pace I've decided to go whitewater kayaking for the long weekend (don't worry, its in a group) but am keen to work towards some of these longer walks over the next 12 months.

Kletterer, ecowain and Belly like this.
  24. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Many of the good spots for walking in the VIC. ALPS are on fire at the moment including Mayford /Upper Dargo River, Lake Mtn. East and Licola/Arbuckle Junction . Being near water in this weather is a good idea.It has been 30 C + daily since Wed. here in the NE suburbs of Melb. It will stay like that until Wed. this week :-0 . The other night it hovered all night around 27 C. I am so over it and want to go XC skiing. I am going surfing on Wed. for a change.

ecowain likes this.
  25. The Hub

The Hub First Runs

I know Easter has come and gone but suggestions for the Budawangs are as follows:
    Day1- Wog Wog to Burrembeet Brook camping caves (via Corang Peak / arch), then Day 2 - Monolith Valley loop and Day 3 - return to wog wog via the Cascades / Corang river. no tent needed as good overhangs.

Also Sassafras to Folly Point to Hollands Gorge, Angel falls to Mt Cole, the Mt tarn to Styles creek and return to Sassafras 3-4 day slog but worth it!
    Ron Doughton has a good guide book on these and other walks.

Chaeron and climberman like this.
  26. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Addicted

Thanks for continuing to add to the suggestions! Lots more inspiration for me.

In a master stroke of guilt tripping I convinced my 18 year old son to come hiking with me over Easter so we did Kanangra to Katoomba after slinging some cash at someone to help us with the car shuttle. Overall it was great! Love some quality mum son time even though he carried two power banks and spent half the time desperately searching for reception, which he found more frequently than I would have expected. Life stops if he can't text love hearts to his girlfriend every 45 seconds awww.

At first the son was infuriated that I wouldn't agree to do it in 2 days because "its only 47km" but he soon realised it was a lot tougher than he'd expected. At the end my tracker said we'd done 61km so not sure if it was miles off or if I zig zag a loottttt. Something doesn't add up with the occasional distance signs along the way. His groans of pain as Rip Roar Rack and Rumble all turned out to not be the peak of Cloudmaker were priceless. We didn't finish until 8.30pm on the third day so no land speed records and we didn't make any of our proposed camps because we were running too far behind but found good spots regardless (just with no water).

I made some bad choices in gear for my son unfortunately I thought the heavy leather boots he'd walked hundreds of kms in in Europe would be fine. Wrong.. street walking does not = steep inclines and declines on a bush track. He had bad blisters from halfway through the first day and guess who wasn't carrying bandaids. Only snake bandages and steristrips which weren't much use. His feet were ravaged by the end of the hike. I have now restocked the first aid kit with blister pads.

I also massively underestimated how much water he needed to drink and we only had 3.5L carrying capacity each. I ended up using all my water for our cooking and offering him lots more of mine for drinking and we still ended up both dehydrated. I'll admit being resentful how often he was peeing on trees thinking why drink it all if you're just going to pee it out!!! But I kept that to myself.
    Water was a bit dire on the trip. At Mobbs swamp we could only find a horrible little puddle that my filter had no chance of getting through, that's after coming across two groups who hadn't found any and were marching out with nothing. We went for the desperation sock filter, and it was gross not going to lie. Very chunky....

Having my son there to haul my pack up Taros ladders while I climbed up like a flustered baby was magical. Last time when I did it solo I chickened out and took wallaby track (I think that's what its called).

The weather was stunning, sunshine and clear skies up until evening on day 3 when we got a good soaking on Narrowneck but hopefully that topped up the water for other hikers. It was pretty quiet we only saw one couple walking the opposite direction and then one group of two overtook us after deciding to finish in 2 days because they couldn't find water. And a solo walker who did a return trip Blackheath to Splendour Rock.

Having done the hike twice now I think I can say with confidence I wouldn't do the Narrowneck exit again. I genuinely hate it, four hours of surprisingly hilly firetrail was a downer for me both times. Once in the heat and once in the dark in the rain. I think the Megalong valley road exit holds some appeal! As my son's agonising reached its peak I reminded him I'd suggested we do the shorter Blackheath exit and he flat out insisted we 'do the full version or not at all! What are we! Losers!' so that kept him quiet.

Hiking poles have saved me I honestly wouldn't have been able to do it without them. My knee would have just snapped sideways its so wobbly and unstable nowadays since an awkward break. Even walking through the city on flat ground it does all sorts of strange things.

All in all- excellent and memorable trip!

sara777, Seth, Majikthise and 4 others like this.
  27. ecowain

Good work! Sounds like a trip of adventure.

The water situation is still pretty dire at a lot of blue mtns walking destinations.

Ending the walk at Carlons in the Megalong is much preferable to the narrowneck bash, unless you are determined to do the "whole thing".

Duct tape can work on heels for blisters at a pinch (if you happen to carry some for repairs but are lacking otherwise suitable first aid supplies).

Majikthise likes this.
  28. Sydlouise

Sydlouise Addicted

29. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Yes, duct tape or gaffer tape rolled around your hiking poles or ski poles can be very handy to repair most things well enough to get through the rest of the trip. Using rehydration salts and a Camelback bladder and a drinking tube means sipping water , not guzzling it so you don't wee it all out by guzzling it . Plus the oral rehydration salts , when dissolved tend to reduce the volume of fluid you crave. Even when it is cool and sunny and you are XC skiing a long way in a day with varying terrain the ORS works well . In warm dry conditions for trekking such preparations are not optional. The 'Katadyn hiker pro filter ' can filter anything into potable clear water.

#30 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Sydlouise likes this.
  30. Majikthise

The only reason to do the K2K is to do the K2K...otherwise you would base camp at kanangaroo and day trip in all directions from there ... ;)

Sydlouise, ecowain and climberman like this.
  31. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I can certainly feel for you son with the blisters. Still remember a walk wearing my trusted comfy boots and the heel counter pushed through on the first hill. Cut my feet to pieces. Once you got walking it was fine but every stop meant pain to start again, not to mention putting the boots back on the each morning. Hopefully your son will do more with you and I also know that manky puddle at Mobbs swamp but the MSR filter sorted it out. Fortunately a sock was not needed. I agree also about Narrowneck but the walk to Green Gully or out to Blackheath is just as boring. You should try K to K via the Gingra range. Once is enough for that as well but if they add to the dam then you may not be able to cross the river and the bushwalker's corridor will be lost. It could affect all the way up to the Kowmung and make crossing the Cox's difficult there as well. I think my most favoured K to K was going from Katoomba. BTW, I always thought it was about 55km but 61 does not seem out of the park.

Sydlouise and Majikthise like this.
  32. ecowain

What doesn't seem to be thought about at the moment is how far the catchment exclusion will be extended. That will greatly affect walking routes in the southern blue mtns / kanangra region, in addition to the environmental impact of the proposed flooding.

About 900 turned out to the Katoomba Give a Dam rally yesterday to protest plans to raise Warragamba and allow further development of the flood zone downstream.

#33 ecowain, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Sydlouise and Majikthise like this.
  33. Xplora

I did a tour inside the dam many years ago. There were the public tours but as I knew someone, we got the private tour to all the places the public could not see. Why could they not see it? Because it shows how fragile the dam is. My friend was an engineer and he said it was a question of when the dam broke and not if. Adding to the dam will only ensure more water is available to flood the Nepean/Hawkesbury when it breaks. At the moment everywhere to Prospect will be affected. The emergency flood plan will have be re-written and all the new developments will be underwater. I suspect it is also about water security for a city that has grown beyond it means but there is no question some people will benefit from the supposed flood mitigation. Sydney is stuffed if that dam lets go. There will be a hundreds of 1000's without homes and no water for the rest. It would be better for Sydney to create more regional water supplies to take flood load. A bit like a lot of Prospect dams but all over. It can be done also to create a green space for people to enjoy.

It would be pretty easy to work out how far the backed up waters will go when the dam is full. An exclusion zone could take out Yellow Pup but there may be a new corridor for people put in place. It will be a swim over the existing corridor so the track to Mittagong will be gone unless another swing bridge is put in. It is a pretty boring walk anyway and I just can't understand why bikes are not allowed. The area is patrolled and I know people who have been caught on bikes.

ecowain likes this.
  34. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

The original Eildon dam in Victoria was finished c.1926 and by the late 1930s it was evident that it had a dodgy concrete arch wall. Houses on the Goulburn River for some distance downstream had alarms fitted that would go off if the wall was about to crack, giving them an hour or two to evacuate to high ground. The Second World War and post war shortages delayed the replacement of the dam wall, but the new and much higher rock bank Eildon Dam was completed in the mid 1950s.

ecowain likes this.
  35. ecowain

Yep I know folks who've been caught with bikes. Generally by people in 4wds.

According to the Penrith MP, the dam raising is not for water security, rather wholly for making proposed new housing developments insurable.

36. ecowain

37. Xplora

If the dam does go ahead then wait to see how long before they keep it full. If it is for flood mitigation then the level (from what it is now) should only go up to hold excess. Sydney is again on water restrictions and since people do not want to leave a city, it will have to provide water. Maybe more desal plants. We are getting a bit too far off topic now and to give the OP some respect we should probably leave it there unless it relates.

ecowain likes this.