1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Eastern swiss resort next weekend

Discussion in 'Europe' started by s-nogan, Jan 11, 2016.

1. s-nogan

s-nogan One of Us

Will be heading through Switzerland next weekend to get to the arlberg resorts (plan on trying St Anton,Ischgl and maybe Solden again if the conditions elsewhere continue to be bad).

I'm looking at trying a resort or two in the eastern part of the country as this helps to neatly break up the driving time from France.Will be mainly piste bashing with the missus on the Saturday and Sunday, any other resort suggestions or do others have experiences to share?

At the moment I'm tossing up between perhaps Laax/Arosa-Lenzerheide/Davos.I like good long red talabfahrts and these resorts are a high enough altitude. Will probably stay somewhere as cheap as possible around Chur.

...I'm resigned to the weekend being busy and comparatively expensive to Austria, but I've never skiied Switzerland before.

Thanks!

2. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Davos.

Stay at the youth hostel (YHA). It is the best located place in town with amazing views.

s-nogan likes this.
  3. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Drive until u see a small village lift u like the look of; ski.

4. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Davos/Parsenn certainly provides long, long talabfahrts - whether they will be skiable all the way down will be the question. Still, plenty of skiing up high.
    Laax/Flims and Andermatt would be ok also.

s-nogan likes this.
  5. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Davos/Klosters looked appealing to me but i never got over there to ski from Lech. If you end up driving through Liechtenstein and into the Arlberg on the A14, stop in bludenz, there is a Milka chocolate factory with a seconds shop. The Fohrenberger brewery is across the road too!

6. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator

Well ATM forecasts are showing moderate to heavy snowfalls for the weekend starting Friday night so better to choose a spot that has good places to ski in low visibility. Upper lifts exposed to strong winds may be shut. Make trees your friend

7. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Most of the skiing is up high anyway and you can always download via the train thing.

I try to avoid the runs back to town as its a PITA getting back to the main ski area again

8. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

When I did it years ago I only skied those at the end of the day or maybe to lunch, then catch the train back around to Davos.