Question Easy ski touring options around Queenstown

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Mr_Ed, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Hard Yards

Wife and I will be in Queenstown from the 24th for about a week. Main purpose of the trip is catching up with my wife's family, but we will throw the touring skis in for a couple of outings.

Looking for recommendations on the best easy access half day-ish ski tours out of Queenstown. Looking more for cruisy no stress adventures rather than anything too gnarly. Can rent a car if need be.

Also, what is the attitude to uphilling at the local resorts?

Thanks!

2. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Head up Remarks, easy access, you have to skin up the piste to get out but its only about 40-50mins. Uphill is fine as long as you stick to the uphill route (its on their website).

soho basin behind cardrona is another easy option, they do require you fill out a liability form and donate 10 bucks to the local search and rescue.

pisa conservation area behind snowfarm is another easy mellow option. i think they require you pay a 20 dollar toll per car.

prcoy and Ziggy like this.
  3. Whatever really

Whatever really Hard Yards

The Remarks are great,
    I head up Alta Blue or usually Alta Torquise, then head right out above lake Alta with it on your right then up through Wye Saddle, out here you can do a few runs and then skin out the saddle above Curvy Basin chair and ski back down through the resort.
    If you leave early you could do this including a run or two in half a day.

Soho is also great,
    Drive up to Cardrona then head under the big Soho sign on the left and skin all the way up to Cardrona summit the everything is right there and at the end of the day traverse back to the car.
    Nz has some great backcountry advisory sites that I check daily over there before heading out but remember Cardrona falls under Queenstown report not Wanaka as a lot of people think.

4. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Hard Yards

5. essjaywhy

essjaywhy Addicted

50 cm snowfall yesterday from Otago to Mt Cook , refer Av. Reports.

piolet likes this.
  6. Whatever really

Whatever really Hard Yards

Yeah always check resort notices and avy reports in NZ, last thing anyone wants is a large plastic explosive or avalanche on the head.

7. oreo

oreo One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

This year the price is $10/pp per day and you can skin/ski their groomed track or $30 per car to park and you can use the DOC access.

8. Red_switch

Red_switch Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - 30 Day

It was getting a bit ridiculous up there for a while, think it's settled down now after a few meetings.