embedded content not loading

art

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2004
I have an issue that embedded content such as twitter etc are inconsistently not loading
for example the image below.
sometimes they show up, often they dont. Often they will show up with a reload particularly if the post in question is in view when the thread reloads.

This is happening for me on my android mobile and windows desktop. both using chrome.

Happy to accept that im doing something wrong just want a pointer as to what it is.

Thanks

upload_2020-3-16_11-48-50.png

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Twitter is very slow to load, not sure why.

I suspect there is a 'is-this-tweet-viewable-at-the-moment' line of code in their embed script - (possibly to to help save twitters bandwidth) - so it wont load unless it is in screen and has sat there for a moment. If you scroll too quickly it won't load.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
I have an issue that embedded content such as twitter etc are inconsistently not loading
for example the image below.
sometimes they show up, often they dont. Often they will show up with a reload particularly if the post in question is in view when the thread reloads.

This is happening for me on my android mobile and windows desktop. both using chrome.

Happy to accept that im doing something wrong just want a pointer as to what it is.

Thanks

upload_2020-3-16_11-48-50.png
I'm using Chrome and W10 on my work computer, same problem

art

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2004
Thanks. Definitely used to be a case of 'is-this-tweet-viewable-at-the-moment' but doesnt seem to load after sitting a while anymore. ie I think I used to see the loading get triggered but not seeing that now.

Not a big deal just a bit annoying.

@Richard How is the big version upgrade progressing?

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
We could have a pandemic come and go before you get around to it!

Oh, wait...

I’ve had a spate of work again with The Roar. But that will come to an end shortly just as soon as the codes realise they can’t continue for the next month. I’m expecting the players to demand it. There is Enough family men among them to work out which way is up and what’s important.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
@art

I updated to latest Chrome yesterday.

Immediately I noticed problems with Twitter not loading and also not being able to stay logged in to this forum.

Culprit was Ghostery, even as I had this domain set to 'Trusted'. Disabled Ghostery and all back to normal.

The getting logged out all the time was particularly annoying.

Reactions: Hyst
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
I’ve had a spate of work again with The Roar. But that will come to an end shortly just as soon as the codes realise they can’t continue for the next month. I’m expecting the players to demand it. There is Enough family men among them to work out which way is up and what’s important.

Well that didn't take long.

Reactions: art and Richard

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
@Richard ^^^ that Reddit link (and others I've seen lately are about a third of a panel displayed only - mobile droid)

Taking offline to this thread

yes. Reddit not loading well.

the reason is ‘dunno’

what I can tell you is that one plugin module runs the media embeds. There is upwards of 150 different platforms/publications that have an embed widget. Whilst many embrace the Oembed standard, a great many work their own particular way with many nuances - and then there’s updates and changes.

The bigger the platform, the more likely they will ‘do it their way’. Eg Instagram is a constant pain.

I update the plugin regularly and have also made a few modifications of my own - but I still can’t make the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs despite best efforts

It is what it is. I just can’t keep up with FB’s features fast enough - but at least you get one-on-one tech support correspondence.

torks

Hard Yards
Jul 10, 2013
UK
Sorry if I'm being dull here. But was there a fix for the embedded content not loading? It's mainly twitter, but is a bit annoying having to constantly refresh.

Reactions: art

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Sorry if I'm being dull here. But was there a fix for the embedded content not loading? It's mainly twitter, but is a bit annoying having to constantly refresh.
It may be your privacy settings. What browser on what OS are you using? I know Firefox has become more aggressive at blocking embedded content if your privacy settings are wound up. Prolly others also.

Reactions: Richard

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Firefox has gone lockdown on privacy leaking and blocks almost all widgets. I’ve given up using it for the forums because manually setting exceptions for each widget source is too hard.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town

No, mostly because I can’t replicate so cant fix - it appears to be case by case.

Default Chrome (desktop & mobile) and default Safari (idevices) work for Twitter / insta / fb / youtube.

sorry can’t fix now but it’s a problem that is always on my radar

Reactions: torks

Medicine_Shoes

One of Us
Dec 9, 2018
Im using default chrome on mobile and I'm having the embed issues with Twitter and Instagram as well. Would it maybe have something to do with me not having accounts with these platforms? Possibly some content only shows when an active login for these platforms is detected?

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Im using default chrome on mobile and I'm having the embed issues with Twitter and Instagram as well. Would it maybe have something to do with me not having accounts with these platforms? Possibly some content only shows when an active login for these platforms is detected?
I don't believe that should cause issues except for content that is not shared publicly; mostly FB.

Medicine_Shoes

One of Us
Dec 9, 2018
I think it is definitely a site issue for me as Im still getting embedded tweets in other forums working. Also Youtube is not embedding properly either. I just get the thumbnail for the video and when I click it, nothing happens. This is on Chrome android mobile. Firefox on PC os fine for me.

Chux-sw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 7, 2018
Where's My Jumper
I've only started having the Twitter embed issue in the last 48 hours. At least on Mac Chrome I can click on the tweet to see it, but it is clunky. Chrome on Android doesn't even give that option.

Medicine_Shoes

One of Us
Dec 9, 2018
So I've done a bit more research on this and have found other forums where people have complained of this issue. So far I haven't found anyone that has been able to fix it. If I use a different android browser eg. Duckduckgo, I don't get this issue. It's only on Chrome. This has only been a recent problem for me. Maybe the last few weeks. Has there been a plugin update in that time?

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
So I've done a bit more research on this and have found other forums where people have complained of this issue. So far I haven't found anyone that has been able to fix it. If I use a different android browser eg. Duckduckgo, I don't get this issue. It's only on Chrome. This has only been a recent problem for me. Maybe the last few weeks. Has there been a plugin update in that time?

Chrome has updated.

The addon hasn’t updated since Spring last year.

Chux-sw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 7, 2018
Where's My Jumper
I'm on a Mac and normally use Chrome and have only recently had the issue of Twitter embeds not showing.
Just checked and they are fine on Firefox and Safari.
I also just remembered I have DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials extension in Chrome. Turning this off, Twitter embeds are now visible.

torks

Hard Yards
Jul 10, 2013
UK
Don't know if it will help but i use Chrome on Windows & pretty certain have the default settings.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Don't know if it will help but i use Chrome on Windows & pretty certain have the default settings.

Chrome Version number please. (Settings -> About Google Chrome)

Do you happen to run any antivirus scanners like Norton or AVG etc.

Reactions: torks

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
I've just identified a different embedding problem.

Using Chrome on Windows 10 on a Surface.

If someone posts a youtube video, the sound won't play. I have to follow the youtube link to get the sound to play. Problem has just started in the last 2 or 3 days.

If I run the forum via Edge, the problem doesnt exist.

Any suggestions?

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
There's a few things going on here.

1. Edge works - so it's Chrome - not your pc and it's Chrome on your hardware - not mine. So look for something in your Chrome settings and/or google it otherwise I got no suggestions.

2. The browsers are moving to increase built-in privacy settings. Google/Chrome has announced they will be deprecating the use of cookies and moving to what is called 'local storage' exclusively. Chrome 80, which has been released in the last 8 weeks or so, has a bunch of new features aimed at improving privacy and new 'default' settings which err on the side of privacy -- and it appears that nearly all of the 'embed' problems of late co-inside with the release of Chrome 80.

Similarly Firefox's latest release (now a few months old) also went for a massive privacy lockdown and none of the embeds work anymore* because they all use cookies/local storage and scripts that make embeds work are hosted on 3rd party domains - because that's how embeds work - all of which are naturally domains unrelated to ski.com.au. For me Firefox has gone too far and I have abandoned using the forums on it.

3. I see a period of transition with browsers improving privacy and embed formats migrating to new scripts that enable them to work with the new browser settings - in this period embeds are going to break regularly and it's largely out of my control

* except YouTube because I hacked that myself a year ago to use the youtube-nocookie.com domain

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
There's a few things going on here.

1. Edge works - so it's Chrome - not your pc and it's Chrome on your hardware - not mine. So look for something in your Chrome settings and/or google it otherwise I got no suggestions.

2. The browsers are moving to increase built-in privacy settings. Google/Chrome has announced they will be deprecating the use of cookies and moving to what is called 'local storage' exclusively. Chrome 80, which has been released in the last 8 weeks or so, has a bunch of new features aimed at improving privacy and new 'default' settings which err on the side of privacy -- and it appears that nearly all of the 'embed' problems of late co-inside with the release of Chrome 80.

Similarly Firefox's latest release (now a few months old) also went for a massive privacy lockdown and none of the embeds work anymore* because they all use cookies/local storage and scripts that make embeds work are hosted on 3rd party domains - because that's how embeds work - all of which are naturally domains unrelated to ski.com.au. For me Firefox has gone too far and I have abandoned using the forums on it.

3. I see a period of transition with browsers improving privacy and embed formats migrating to new scripts that enable them to work with the new browser settings - in this period embeds are going to break regularly and it's largely out of my control

* except YouTube because I hacked that myself a year ago to use the youtube-nocookie.com domain
Thanks Richard,
It's a minor annoyance only so will wait and see if there qre improvements, but in the meantime I can live with the workarounds

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com

FF is my browser of choice, and it works with embeds for the most part. Twitter seems to be the most glitchy, though occasionally fb/insta do odd things then come good again - that could be as they are constantly screwing around with things as well.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
FF is my browser of choice, and it works with embeds for the most part. Twitter seems to be the most glitchy, though occasionally fb/insta do odd things then come good again - that could be as they are constantly screwing around with things as well.
I'm using FF (75.0 on Ubuntu 18.04) but I've had to turn off abp for this site. Everything seems to work fine like that.

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
I got rid of abp and moved to ublock Origin, much nicer, less resource intensive. That said it's switched off for here at the moment, though I think that was because I was testing something. It used to be on.

Reactions: cold wombat

Scooter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Might have something to do with the " adds" , as soon as i subscribed ....problem fixed :thumbs:

ahhh

that’s something I have not tested. A regular profile that gets ads.

Great clue.

:thumbs: thanks

Hey @Richard - Just to reiterate the above - been a heap of Instagram embeds in a couple of the current threads dealing with this recent snow and all I was getting was that bloody big camera icon - i.e. no embed

Using Chrome (Google Chrome is up to date Version 81.0.4044.129 (Official Build) (64-bit))

Tried with Edge all good

Was annoyed enough to go looking to see if anybody else had an issue thus seeing this thread and @JM72 response so I signed in (I only ever sign in if I am going to actually post anything) and sure enough now all good using Chrome.

Just thought I would give you the FYI seeing as I was signed in (and thus could post :D).

Reactions: 73RNR

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
I'm using FF, have turned off "enhanced protections" for this site only. Click the little shield in the url bar if you want to turn it off.

Medicine_Shoes

One of Us
Dec 9, 2018
Ok so im still having issues with embedded content not loading in chrome android. I have found that if i log out of the forums, then all emebedded content works fine. But as soon as im logged in, it doesn't load again (youtube, instagram, twitter). Does anyone know why this could be?

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
further to the other thread where @Marquise de Kappy raised this again ...
linking back here where @Richard gave some advice above, I went to my Chrome settings:
Privacy and Security > Site settings > Unsandboxed plug-in access > Allow > Add
then typed in 'twitter.com' [without the quotes]
now I can see the tweets

Reactions: 73RNR

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
FYI: Tweets not loading for me last couple of days. FF 86.1.1 (Build #2015794881) on Android 8.1.0 phone. Enhanced tracking protection is on & AdGuard Adblocker installed (as usual). Haven't noticed it upgrading lately but it looks like it may have. If I turn off enhanced protection, tweets reappear. Or maybe Twitter behaviour has slightly changed enough to trigger the protection. Dunno.

Tweets are still working however with FF 85.0.1 on Ubuntu with Adblock Plus.

Reactions: climberman
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass