Emergency Bivi bags. Any sugestions?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Mister Tee on snow shoes, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

I watched this video and saw that it could come in handy on base camp day touring the BC in white season.
    Bogong Equipment stock the two man version.

Do any of the panel have any thoughts /suggestions on these items?.I left a 'G' out of suggestions in the heading. I am not having a good day with typing anything.

#1 Mister Tee on snow shoes, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  2. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

3. Slowman

Slowman Active Member

I have the 2 person Rab version which I have been carrying around for insurance for a few seasons now. I have not had to use it in an emergency and fortunately no one has yet spied me having my lunch in it - as they do look a bit weird.

4. Rabid K9

Rabid K9 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

I extended the throat on my canvas 120L pack so that I can easily get in it up to my shoulders (6'2). Does mean you have to unpack in a situation, but have slept in it to prove a point.

5. Outdoors

Outdoors Active Member

As an outdoor education teacher I have been carrying various bothy shelters for the past 14 (?) years and I think they are ideal for our wet and windy high country environments. Lots of schools, outdoor organisations, professional guides, SAR groups and even some ski patrols now use them. I have slept in mine a few times, including in the snow, and it has worked well. Admittedly we rarely pull them out and use them but when leading groups we almost always carry one unless the conditions are benign. If you are in an exposed environment and need to deal with an injured group member or need shelter quickly, particularly in wet or awkward environments, then they are ideal. They are great when wearing crampons or when wearing wetsuits as you don't need to strip off any gear or clothing to seek shelter. I don't always carry them on private trips depending on the tent/shelter that I am carrying. I think bothy shelters are much more versatile than bivi bags which are extremely limited in their usability unless going solo. These days I use and highly recommend the Terra Rosa bothy shelters - particularly if you travel with more than a couple of people.

6. Yohans

Yohans Active Member

I carry a lightweight version of the 2 person bothy bag on all day trips (all seasons). Also overnighters where I'm planning to be away from tent for any reason, like a summit climb.

7. AndrewA

AndrewA Well-Known Member

They look a good idea. Might make one out of the 0.3 oz cuben I have, which is too light for stuff sacks. Would also be good for keeping sandflies off/out in NZ bush on rainy lunchtimes...

A

Kletterer likes this.
  8. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

Bothys are quite amazing for a temp shelter

9. craighelo

craighelo Well-Known Member

10. Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Where did you purchase the Cuben - Dyneema.

11. AndrewA

K , I bought it from Z packs a few years ago (they still sell it) along with various other bits of cuben in heavier weights. Pulled it out tonight ( the pale orange stuff) - I've got 4m, so plenty for a bothy. It's quite strong, but not puncture resistant - I made a couple of ultralight dry bags from it, but the 0.5oz is miles better, so it's been sitting around waiting to be used for something....never thought of a bothy until tonight.....tomorrow night's project?..

Currently "winterising/trying to bomb proof" a Terra Nova Laser Elite for this season ( inverted v poles on ends; end zips for ventilation; extra guy points; cuben pole hood) and repairing previous cuben stuff sacks, which I had glued rather than sewn (seams blow out if not sewn, rip out if not taped).

A

ecowain and Kletterer like this.
  12. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

@AndrewA this is a SAR bothy, a modified terra rosa i beleive, in tent-mode, using poles and with peg loops and a 3/4 fold under floor.

In a gale with a patient etc i guess it would be better in bothy-mode, but if sitting out a night in a protected spot the tent mode would add a bit of comfort

13. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

700g i think it was

Kletterer likes this.
  14. AndrewA

Hmm - that'll get the brain thinking about how to form a rectangular bothy bag into a V shaped tent. Might be playing with paper tomorrow to work this out!

15. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

Origami time!

16. weerab

weerab Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I bought a Vango bothy from Teckel at Mystic Mountain ski hire a couple of years back. Never used it in anger but I am sure it would do the job. I tried it out at Lake mountain and was quite embarrassed to find a group of people having lunch next to me when I pulled the Bothy off! We all had a bit of a laugh. I also have an old Alp Sports bivi bag but the Vango would be much better in a longer term situation!

Chaeron and teletripper like this.
  17. teletripper

teletripper Active Member

Have carried and used one of these for the last 7 years.
    http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/tent-additions/908-storm-shelter-200.html#da-moreinfo
    Standard part of my kit now, winter or summer, day or multi day trips. Goes easily into a day pack as an insurance policy and can accomodate 1 with your pack up the other end to give it structure if travelling solo, or can deal with 2 persons with your packs in between you even if a little cramped. Great for lunch breaks to get out of wind, rain snow. Amazing how quick you can warm it up inside. A must for an immediate response to hypothermia management of self or a patient whilst the rest of the party sort themselves or more permanent shelter in a situation. The vent and clear window in this design is great compared to some others without as you can then see out to check conditions, see what's going on etc without having to poke your head out from underneath, and the vent assists with condensation management.
    A tip for new players put a short length of cord from the draw cord which you can tie off to your pack so when it is deployed in anger in a 90k/hr south westerly it doesn't end up in Jindy without you.

Rick Ross Da Boss likes this.
  18. AndrewA

Didn't see the 700g bit - that's what I'm trying to achieve with my TN tent!

2 person bothy (1.5Lx1.0H X 0.5W = 4.75 sqm of fabric) out of 0.35oz/m cuben should be about 50g, plus another 1.35 sqm of 0.5 oz/m around the bottom to sit on (20g), plus stitching/seam sealing. Maybe 100g?

Will post tomorrow if successful.

A

Kletterer likes this.
  19. Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Cant get more minimalist than that :thumbs:. Interested to see your stitching specs.

20. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

Yeah i reckon that 700g is wrong too. It was the number in my head but i agree it cant be that

21. AndrewA

Haha.

Thinking 4 m single piece of fabric around ( 1.5 X 0.5 area) with single seam ( not sure whether to place this on a side or an end - I suppose that if it's done properly, it shouldn't matter); big stitches - 4 mm, and big overhang on tape sealing, probs 1" either side of single seam around bivy, both in and out, then smaller width tape seal on top and where the heavier bottom bits to sit on.

Shouldn't be too difficult a project, and, as family away, I can work on it tomorrow night, whilst waiting for bits to complete Terra Nova Photon project.

Now, we just need some snow.....

22. AndrewA

First step in making bothy bag is to remove cat from cuben.

Next step is to chuck cat out of back room and close door, coz it likes skidding around on noisy slippery fabric.

23. AndrewA

Still to do the bottom, which will be 0.75 oz cuben "ledge" 40cm wide at each end, and 10cm at sides. Also needs a couple of vents.

Weight so far is 86g. All tape seamed.

Dimensions - base 60 X 150, top 30 X 150.

A

zac150 and tele-whippet like this.
  24. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I have these in stock if anyone is interested. Not sure of the price, but will post it when I'm in the shop tomorrow.

Chaeron likes this.
  25. Moondog55

Moondog55 Dedicated Member

That was quick work Andrew, isn't the tape good stuff.
    That is very snug so it should warm up reasonably quickly when sheltering in it. A bit tight for 2-up tho.
    As well as a vent or two a couple of tie outs for the skis/poles and some reflective cord on each corner so S&R can see you more easily, make the tie out from reflective cord even
    What a brilliant way to use up that old scrap of UL Cuben

26. AndrewA

I think it'll be pretty good for 2 for lunch. Was anticipating making a small trench in the snow between us to allow us to sit with feet down, but even sitting with legs along the ground, it's fine. Haven't done the bottom yet - later. Tidying house this arvo before the family come home, so prolly better not start sewing again!

27. Moondog55

Moondog55 Dedicated Member

Well let us all hope the snow is that deep

28. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

29. AndrewA

0.35oz cuben 2 person bothy bag completed tonight - 60cm wide, 90cm high , 140 long, seat bit 40cm deep, sides 20cm. Decided just to use 0.35ox cuben on the "ledges" around the base, as it will probs only be used in the snow. Total weight only 135g!

Tested it with daughter #4 tonight inside house. She fell about laughing!

Plenty of room for lunch with a mate. Off to Bogong this weekend, and weather looking lousy, so hopefully it will get some use - will take photo and post.

At least I found a use for that ultralight cuben - only have 1/2m left....

A

ecowain likes this.
  30. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

Like @craighelo I've gone the SOL bivvy route. Mine's the breathable job. Untested like most other choices here. I do think it's necessary also to take some kind of insulation to lie on as well obviously as extra warm clothes.

#30 Ziggy, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    craighelo likes this.
  31. weerab

weerab Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Best thing about the Vango style bothy bags is that you can sit up inside them and cook or whatever. I actually hand sowed something similar about 30 years back from an old tent. My father thought I was a total freak and I am sure he thought I was doomed to a life of solitude!

32. AndrewA

Get excited about this new cuben bothy bag of mine - family think it's "weird, but potentially useful", and it's roomy enough for 2. Sewed vent in tonight, which added about 10g. Stuffed loosely, it's about 12cm X 6cm diameter.

I'll post piccies of it in use next week. I reckon it's the most exciting bit of additional kit I've made for a long time. Sadly none of family will come play with me in it tonight to take photos. but wait until they're needing to have lunch in the mountains in the rain/wind/snow ----" Daddy, have you still got that bothy bag with you, so we can have lunch in it?"!

A

tele-whippet likes this.
  33. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Oh you could park it by rain water tank while you defrost said tap....or advance with it over your heads while traversing the Bogong Pole Line to Cleve Cole....has it got a little portal....?

34. AndrewA

Yep, now has a little portal!

Not planning on heading over to CC - might not even get up the top with this forecast!

What do you reckon about pouring some metho on the tap and lighting it to unfreeze it?

A

35. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Technically you should expect this to maintain the freeze. The location where the metho is evaporating from to a vapour to then burn should be cooled by the process.

Now if you put the metho on the ground below the tap so the tap was in the flue zone of the flame, then the tap should un-freeze moderately promptly.

36. AndrewA

Yeah - it didn't work. Not sure how it evaporated at <0C, but I couldn't get it to light, so it was a case of lighting stove, and fiddling with windshield to get it hot enough. It took surprisingly long to thaw it out (like 5 mins +), so I hope the foam gizmo I made helps.

Chaeron likes this.