Emirates now flying to Geneva

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Just noticed an ad in today's paper.

We flew one stop to GVA on Etihad on our trip this year and it was a fantastic way to access the Western Alps - 1 hour transfer to Chamonix, and I'm sure it would be similar to Verbier and others. Whereas the previous year we flew Emirates to Paris, and while it was great to spend time in Paris it's time consuming and expensive to get to the Alps.

So while I preferred Etihad as an airline, it's good to know that there are a couple of options, and therefore competition on this route.

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
Agreed to Geneva as a starting point for the alps. Great little airport, lovely scenes on approach.

How good is the drive to Chamonix from Geneva! The road feels like you are suspended in mid air in the valley. You look at the old road on the side of the mountain, it must of taken an extra hour before the new highway was put in.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
No dramas - we took one ski bag and a non-wheeled duffle type bag between us, with boots in our backpacks as carry on. We could have even got a non-wheeled ski bag to save a few more kilos. Touring bindings saved a few kgs but skins, shovels, probes etc more than made up for it.

We just put our scales in the hallway and packed to the kilo. Not much in the way of non-ski clothing, but you only need one nice shirt if you go out to a nice restaurant, and the rest of the time you can get around in thermals, fleeces, puffies etc.

We did a bit of shopping over there so would have been in trouble on the way home but we were offered an upgrade for $600 each so that took care of that.

Main reason we went with Emirates the year before was the baggage allowance.

Piggy - yes that viaduct is pretty insane!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass