Opinion Empathy and Criticism; Reconciling Risk in Outdoor Sports

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by luke1234, May 16, 2018 at 1:39 PM.

1. luke1234

luke1234 Hard Yards

Hey fellow back-country enthusiasts, I wrote this article about my experiences interacting with various outdoor sports communities and seeing how people react to accidents and mistakes. I feel like it could be relevant discussion for many of us on the forum here too (substitute "club" for "online community" and you're good to go), as every time someone has an accident or a rescue in the back-country there's always a discussion surrounding it here.

It could be good to talk about this in the lead up to the 2018 season, share our experiences and compassionately help each other to improve and stay safe this winter.

http://lukefrisken.com/adventures/empathy-and-criticism.html

Cheers,
    L

Chaeron likes this.
  2. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

I openly admit my mistakes and near death experiences in the hope that others can learn from them.
    Reasonably well written if lacking a little in depth Luke so when you expand it I'd like to read the full thing.
    Most of my mistakes are age related in that I refuse to admit my years and it is power and endurance [ specifically the lack/diminishment thereof] that can lead me to being stuck somewhere less than comfortable for too long

zac150 and luke1234 like this.
  3. luke1234

luke1234 Hard Yards

Hey cheers and thanks for the feedback, do you mean the entire article/topic lacks depth or do you mean the story about my near miss?

4. luke1234

luke1234 Hard Yards

I didn't really intend the near miss story to be a long one, it was a small/simple slip up, and I can think of a number of other situations I've put myself in which deserve more attention and a longer article. It was more meant to be a taster, and an encouragement for people to write about their own experiences, even if it's something short I still think it brings value.

Chaeron likes this.
  5. luke1234

luke1234 Hard Yards

That's fantastic, I don't think I've read any of your stories, but I'll be interested to learn from them when I find/see them.

6. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

I have the impression that this was capable of being a full chapter article in a book or a good magazine article. A further discussion could have investigated the full impact end extended consequences of a bad outcome to the slip

luke1234 likes this.
  7. luke1234

luke1234 Hard Yards

Thanks Moondog55. It's a lot of effort to edit again for a magazine quality/audience, but I guess it could be worth a try. Thanks for the encouragement, I'll give it a shot and see how it goes and submit to a couple of Australian ones.

8. coolair

coolair Addicted
    Ski Pass - Gold

I have gone to the edge of my limits too many times, I dont like pain and have to work on Monday, as I get older
    I take a lot more conservative view, I am a recreational adventurist, still get out and have fun but I know if you push it
    it will bite back.
    Walking through Bungonia gorge two weeks ago solo, not a good place to stuff up, so I took it easy,cautious & get to play another day.
    Took this attitude 10 years ago on the edge of Roller coaster run, gps verified at 80 kph on the skiers right edge of the run, caught an edge and almost lost it into the trees, would have taken my mate who was on my tail out as well.

luke1234 likes this.
  9. zac150

zac150 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Interesting read and I agree it’s worth expanding and having a shot at the outdoor mags as the topic is important.

I agree with the theme of the article as well; a few of us on here were involved in an accident a few years ago and I have have discussed the outcome and accident with one of the members of the trip (also forum member) and we both agreed on things we would do differently. The accident could have happened to any of us and the outcome would have been the same. That said the response was impressive (both to the accident and the amount of time it took TC to rip in online).

But the discussion was positive.

luke1234 likes this.
  10. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty!
    Ski Pass - Gold

Nice read thanks Luke.

Fully agree.
    Open, frank and positive discussion is a good thing. It is really difficult to feel any confidence about acquiring more knowledge and skills when you’re being critiqued and judged harshly.

The more sharing we have the more we all learn through the experiences of others rather than having to physically learn it through trial and error.

And sometimes “sh1t happens”... no matter how much care you take.

coolair, luke1234 and zac150 like this.
  11. zac150

zac150 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

I should have also made the point that I like the fact the American Alpine club put out a magazine every year discussing major accidents that have occurred. They have now expanded this into a podcast called the sharpend.

The idea is to open a discussion and learn from the mistakes, mishaps and misadventures of others.

piolet and luke1234 like this.
  12. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

That's the only axiom that's of importance."shit will happen "
    :whistle:

13. Xplora

Xplora One of Us

You have raised some good points Luke and with a tidy up it would be more of a letter to the editor than a full article in a mag. Leave it for a couple of days or a week then re-read and you will pick up the minor grammar changes needed to polish it.
    I read Aron Ralston's book (127hrs) and also saw the movie. I wish the movie put a bit more emphasis on all the stupid things he did leading up to this incident (which he sites in his book). He was very much a train wreck waiting to happen and had numerous escapes from serious injury or death. He even took others into danger with some reckless behaviour. I suspect he would be a very changed man now (apart from having some fame). Those engaged in adventurous outdoor activity accept a level of risk and understanding the risks from your own experience or that of others is important. When those who are very experienced come to grief then it would be even more important to take note. Foolhardy or reckless people deserve less empathy but still there is much to be gleaned from their experience. Most people will comment or make judgments based on their own level of experience coupled with a lack of factual information (such as a media report). This is more about human nature and may even be because there is a need for people to feel better about themselves. When people understand the full story then their view may be softened. It could also galvanise their opinion.

Canyons are great places to come to grief as are snow covered mountains. Most incidents go unreported unless there is a rescue. I broke ribs in Claustral. Not being stupid, a simple slip and we self rescued. Like Steve said, it can happen. Doing Tiger snake canyon once we were overtaken by a middle aged man, solo, in volleys with no ropes, helmet and only a little pack. He was actually running. We never saw him again and just scratched our heads as to how he could do it. If he came to grief then we of course would have been critical but then he has probably done the same thing many times. The level of risk he was prepared to accept was greater than ours as was his skill no doubt.

Making a mistake, getting hurt and then admitting your mistake to others should be treated a little different to making a mistake (error of judgement) and trying to lay blame for it elsewhere. I also tend not to use the word 'accident' to describe such things as it suggests, apart from being unintentional, it could not have been avoided.

luke1234 likes this.
  14. zac150

zac150 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Isn’t this the point of the piece? Maybe people should wait and assess the facts before commenting and pigeon holing people as being idiots.

15. Xplora

Xplora One of Us

That was the point I was making also but explaining why people tend not to do that.

luke1234 likes this.
  16. zac150

zac150 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

:thumbs:

luke1234 likes this.