Trip Report Engelberg 2007

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Grüezi,
More good spring skiing. You know it's spring when :
- The valley is green, the birds are chirping and the flowers are starting to bloom.
- people are walking around town in shorts and t-shirts
- there are more tourists (mostly Chinese, some Indians) going up the Titlis cable car than skiers.
- the sport shops have bicycles on display.
- there is a water slide contest with people in board shorts.
- you wonder (briefly) whether you should be bothering to ski at all.

But given all that the skiing is very good - still mostly confined to the pistes (looking disparingly at all the great looking offpiste terrain). Up on Titlis at around 3000m it was very firm, lower down better. Went over to Jochpass where they had the water slide comp - quite interesting. The guys who did best were either on really fat and long skis or Wintersticks - they seemed to sit well on the tails across the water. Boarders did alright as well but some had a problem keeping a straight line.

Last edited:

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
What can I say? Yet another sunny day...

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Got the timing better today, started off Jochpass, then up the top lift that side, then over to Stand up up to Titlis where it had softened up nicely by the afternoon.

Nothing beats a good powder day, but this spring skiing thing does have it's positives. A few beers in the sun at the end of the day, nice.

More Indian tourists today, almost have to consider Namaste as a standard greeting. In fact another busload have just arrived at the hotel I am typing this from.

There is a van serving Indian food at the exit for the gondola base station. As as much as I like Indian food, it is not the first thing I want at the end of a days skiing. I did however after a beer go back for a couple of Samosas which were very good (spicy), so were clearly intended for the Indian tourists rather than the locals.

Last edited:

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Today Jochpass was closed for the season, so plan A went out the window. The black run from the glacier lift down to Stand was also closed so there went plan B. I think they are trying to tell us something. Still reasonable skiing below Stand in the morning and on the glacier in the afternoon.

The skiers today were probably outnumbered by the tourists by at least 10 to 1.

Weather continues to be warm and sunny. For a laugh I tune into the British Sky TV news and catch their weather, rain today, continuing tomorrow and the next day...

Heading off to Grindelwald tomorrow.

Last edited:

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Re: Engelberg

A few pics (from April 19-22):

View of Titlis from my hotel balcony.
206_Engelberg_Titlis.jpg

View from the top of Titlis (3238m)
209_Engelberg_Titlis.jpg

Titlis ski run
211_Engelberg_Titlis_run.jpg

Titlis 'Rotair' rotating cable car.
233_Engelberg_Titlis.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Stand area
213_Engelberg_Stand.jpg

Jochstock area
229_Engelberg_Jochstock.jpg

Last edited:

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Town and lake
237_Engelberg_lake.jpg

Ice tunnel
241_Engelberg_Titlis_ice_tunnel.jpg

Last edited:

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
The Jochpass water slide comp

222_Engelberg_Jochpass_slide.jpg

th_5770d346.jpg

th_b5f0fe28.jpg

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Phalanx

Hard Yards
Apr 14, 2005

You know brown water there comes from cow shite from when the land is used for the cows in Summer... (and they spray the shite over the land after winter to help grow the grass). Don't fall in
tongue.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Everyone that entered obviously did fall in at some stage, that's the way it works. Water was probably only a meter deep and while it was a warm day the water would clearly have been quite cold. Saw it next day with a layer of ice on top.

Was amusing to see many of the girls coming in shivering to the toilets (ladies & mens) to change afterwards.

Last edited:

Phalanx

Hard Yards
Apr 14, 2005

I was in Enstligenalp (above Adelboden) at the end of April, and they have that same comp there. One one of the lifts you can do some brown water ridding on the way back to the cable car...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using