1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Epic Australia Pass 2020 $829

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by skiflat, Aug 15, 2019.

1. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

So as I read the EPIC faqs the under 5 pass will be $49 for next domestic season, that seems like a good deal, but are you saying that a 4 year old can access the lifts for less than that if you go to the ticket window each day?

2. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Yup - in past years (and this year) you just pay for the $5 card, and then each time you go up you let them know how long you are there for and they will load the days onto the card. In our case, we went into the Jindy ticket office and collected our 5 day passes, so they put the same days on his card. I'm not sure what the normal arrangement is around days (e.g. "Hey, we're up for the week, can I please get 5 days loaded for Junior here?")

3. southpaw

I see, so they’re trying to get you to pay $50 for convenience of not lining up. I’d still go the free option myself.

4. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

A fairly ridiculous situation. Basically its now $49 for the kids. The $5 option will probably disappear next winter

5. southpaw

Yep you can see the writing on the wall.

6. SEJ

SEJ Hard Yards

For the last 5 years I’ve just gone at the start of season and got my daughter’s card loaded up for the whole season for free. So it’s cost nothing. She’ll be 6 next year so it’s a moot point for me, but I’d be annoyed at paying $49 if she were younger. I was lucky I noticed the difference between hero and epic this year (hero pass/ 5 year olds free, epic pass- 5 year olds pay)and got a hero pass for this year early, rather than just wait until June like this usually had.

nezumi and currawong like this.
  7. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

UTC +7 https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/christmas

nezumi likes this.
  8. southpaw

Not sure what’s going on EPIC pass still showing 829 at checkout this morning

nezumi likes this.
  9. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Perisher walk up is $170! So closer to 5 individual days.

10. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Dont know if anyone has said this but the whole Epic pass idea is to ignore locals, seniors and children and use it to funnel Australians overseas to Vail's resorts .
    The skiing there will be there cheap but prolly not much else will be.
    Not great for those who dont ski the lifts of Perisher , Falls or Hotham a lot .
    I would be surprised if they invest much in skiing infrastructure here.
    Vancouver locals had the same problems in Whistler, Fraser Valley/locals passes were ceased and day tickets went up in price .

skiflat likes this.
  11. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yes and no. It depends on which regional model is used for Australia. If you look at Epic pass options for N. America, the regions that have 1-location season passes and senior discounts are Tahoe and the three midwest small ski resorts near Chicago, Detroit, or Minn./St. Paul. If someone changes their mind, possible to upgrade to an Epic Local. Also can get a 1-location pass to Stevens Pass, and the price for 70+ is US$109.

W-B also has a 1-location pass options, including lower prices for juniors and seniors but only on the W-B website. The Edge Card still exists for Canadian and Washington State residents. EpicSchoolKids is a regional program that gives 5 free tickets for kids K-G5 that at W-B, as well as Colorado and Tahoe.

Epic began in 2008 as an unlimited Colorado pass (4 resorts) plus Heavenly that was significantly lower cost than the 1-location passes had existed the season before. Evolved into Epic Local, which now covers all N. American regions but has holiday blackout dates.

I've never bothered with an Epic Pass before I prefer Ikon/MCP resorts but my BIL who lives in Chicago has gone Epic more than once because of a trip out west with a friend who owns a condo at Park City. One reason I can't get him to join me at Alta in late season. Plenty of marketing to the Chicago market, even for people who don't actually end up skiing at Wilmot (1 hour drive). The large amount of money VR spent to completely revamp Wilmot was a bit unusual but gives an indication of the strategy. The number of articles generated in year after the purchase made it seem as if Wilmot was the only ski resort in the region, even though there are quite a few of similar size in half day's drive of Chicago.

http://news.vailresorts.com/corporate/wilmot-brand-logo-construction.htm - 2016