1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Epic Australia Pass 2020 $889 + $109 skitube (updated 14/10/19)

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by skiflat, Aug 15, 2019.

1. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

So as I read the EPIC faqs the under 5 pass will be $49 for next domestic season, that seems like a good deal, but are you saying that a 4 year old can access the lifts for less than that if you go to the ticket window each day?

2. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Yup - in past years (and this year) you just pay for the $5 card, and then each time you go up you let them know how long you are there for and they will load the days onto the card. In our case, we went into the Jindy ticket office and collected our 5 day passes, so they put the same days on his card. I'm not sure what the normal arrangement is around days (e.g. "Hey, we're up for the week, can I please get 5 days loaded for Junior here?")

3. southpaw

I see, so they’re trying to get you to pay $50 for convenience of not lining up. I’d still go the free option myself.

4. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

A fairly ridiculous situation. Basically its now $49 for the kids. The $5 option will probably disappear next winter

5. southpaw

Yep you can see the writing on the wall.

6. SEJ

SEJ Hard Yards

For the last 5 years I’ve just gone at the start of season and got my daughter’s card loaded up for the whole season for free. So it’s cost nothing. She’ll be 6 next year so it’s a moot point for me, but I’d be annoyed at paying $49 if she were younger. I was lucky I noticed the difference between hero and epic this year (hero pass/ 5 year olds free, epic pass- 5 year olds pay)and got a hero pass for this year early, rather than just wait until June like this usually had.

nezumi and currawong like this.
  7. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

UTC +7 https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/christmas

nezumi likes this.
  8. southpaw

Not sure what’s going on EPIC pass still showing 829 at checkout this morning

nezumi likes this.
  9. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Perisher walk up is $170! So closer to 5 individual days.

10. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Dont know if anyone has said this but the whole Epic pass idea is to ignore locals, seniors and children and use it to funnel Australians overseas to Vail's resorts .
    The skiing there will be there cheap but prolly not much else will be.
    Not great for those who dont ski the lifts of Perisher , Falls or Hotham a lot .
    I would be surprised if they invest much in skiing infrastructure here.
    Vancouver locals had the same problems in Whistler, Fraser Valley/locals passes were ceased and day tickets went up in price .

skiflat likes this.
  11. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yes and no. It depends on which regional model is used for Australia. If you look at Epic pass options for N. America, the regions that have 1-location season passes and senior discounts are Tahoe and the three midwest small ski resorts near Chicago, Detroit, or Minn./St. Paul. If someone changes their mind, possible to upgrade to an Epic Local. Also can get a 1-location pass to Stevens Pass, and the price for 70+ is US$109.

W-B also has a 1-location pass options, including lower prices for juniors and seniors but only on the W-B website. The Edge Card still exists for Canadian and Washington State residents. EpicSchoolKids is a regional program that gives 5 free tickets for kids K-G5 that at W-B, as well as Colorado and Tahoe.

Epic began in 2008 as an unlimited Colorado pass (4 resorts) plus Heavenly that was significantly lower cost than the 1-location passes had existed the season before. Evolved into Epic Local, which now covers all N. American regions but has holiday blackout dates.

I've never bothered with an Epic Pass before I prefer Ikon/MCP resorts but my BIL who lives in Chicago has gone Epic more than once because of a trip out west with a friend who owns a condo at Park City. One reason I can't get him to join me at Alta in late season. Plenty of marketing to the Chicago market, even for people who don't actually end up skiing at Wilmot (1 hour drive). The large amount of money VR spent to completely revamp Wilmot was a bit unusual but gives an indication of the strategy. The number of articles generated in year after the purchase made it seem as if Wilmot was the only ski resort in the region, even though there are quite a few of similar size in half day's drive of Chicago.

http://news.vailresorts.com/corporate/wilmot-brand-logo-construction.htm - 2016

Gregah likes this.
  12. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Essentially this is a type of monopolistic loyalty scheme.
    This model is like offering a drug at low prices to those who have never tried it and some think that is great including many young enthusiasts on this forum.
    How many of you have already changed your OS skiing plans based on the Epic Pass ?
    Its like Qantas offered frequent flyer points but gradually changed the rules so they arent worth much or you have to spend more to keep them .
    Or Apple using software and products that are exclusively theirs and not compatible with any others, except that the ACCC +the EU usually enforce consumer rights .
    History tells us though that these big companies dont do it for the good of the world but rather for profits obviously .Also that they will rachet up the costs of the Epic Pass, year by year, way above inflation because they now have a loyal following who wont notice the higher price because they bought the "drug" at the initial low price.
    MarzNC is discussing a different situation which has more options but the USA has 330 million people and 472 [according to the internet ] resorts .
    Essentially we have about 10, about half the decent ones owned by Vail so we are unlikely to get any options.

dawooduck likes this.
  13. Swede

Swede One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Do I think Vail care what’s happening down here? No.
    Do I think they only bought Perisher etc. to get Aussies to go spend their money in their US resorts? Yes.
    Will the epic pass make me go ski US instead of Europe in the northern winter? No.
    Many years ago before Perisher brought in the epic pass (or whatever it was called back then) I used to pay $1400 something for a season pass, I now still pay about half that. Is this good for me? Yes.

#263 Swede, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    skifree, Donzah, Ozgirl and 6 others like this.
  14. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Yeah I and in the future the whole family will get season passes. It won't be a major factor in USA trips.

The kicker for me is the kids lessons
    Breckenridge is around $1500 for 5 days of lessons

Here is about $600

skifree and nezumi like this.
  15. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly What a plonker. Ski Pass: Gold

MyRide in 2011 IIRC
    Freedom from 2012 to Vail purchase.

Just off the top of my head.

16. D-eye

I've updated the price in the thread subject.

skiflat, Chaeron and currawong like this.
  17. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

MyRide was just RFID . No cheap season pass.

18. Donzah

There never ever was a "local" deal for Perisher skiers .
    I presume you are talking about Hotham/Falls and whats happened there?

Telemark Phat and Chaeron like this.
  19. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Obviously the USA as a whole is different from Australia. However, what's happening in the flatlands may shed some light on how VR views "feeder" resorts. There is the most history for the midwest in terms of how long the transitions took, including noticeable improvements. The Mid-Atlantic (PA, VA, MD, WV) is about to change drastically, assuming the merger with Peak Resorts goes thru. I know the situation in my home region, the southeast (NC, SC, WV, VA, GA, FL), the best. There are a handful of ski areas/resorts that people drive to that depend on 100% snowmaking and mostly under 100 acres. A lot of season passholders drive 1-3 hours for day trips. Families do annual ski trips driving 10 hours from FL. Alterra got Snowshoe in WV as part of the purchase of Intrawest and that draws from Washington DC and Atlanta. Snowshoe is an expensive resort with little lodging that isn't on resort. Many regulars also fly out west for an annual ski vacation to destination resorts.

Do you know what the Epic Pass cost in 2008?

20. D-eye

Yes there was. Disappeared around the time of the discounted season passes beginning iirc

Chaeron likes this.
  21. Donzah

News to me?

22. D-eye

You had to live in a defined range and not just for the season iirc, had to show a phone/electricity bill as proof. I had one back in 98 and 99.

Chaeron and currawong like this.
  23. Donzah

I had a locals pass for Thredbo for 99.. but it wasn't like the Falls/Hotham deal

24. D-eye

Was anything back then?

25. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Moved there in 2007. Nada, nothing, zilch. Discounted parks entry.

26. Noah

Noah Hard Yards

Was looking at either the thredbo pass or the epic pass and they were similar prices a couple of weeks ago but it looks like the thredbo one has gone up to $1400, is that what the epic pass goes up to eventually as well?

27. Noah

Noah Hard Yards

And how difficult is parking at Perisher? If I'm planning to get in at 8am will I be able to get a park? Or what time do you have to get up there? People seem to rate the skitube on here, does anyone dislike it? Asking because I'm weighing up whether to get the skitube as well.

28. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

2018 Prices:
    Aug $799
    Sept $819
    Dec $839
    Feb $859
    May?? $909??

Aug $829
    Sept $849

29. skull

skull One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

with the insurance add on, you aren't really saving much paying a deposit in Aug with insurance compared to waiting it out till the last chance in May

30. southpaw

But even in May the refund protection may still be valuable to have, still a couple of months from the start of the season and even then if you get a season ending injury early on in the season you can still get a significant refund.

Noah likes this.
  31. D-eye

The standard season pass is quite a bit more than that.

32. Noah

Noah Hard Yards

Yeah, the refund seems worthwhile in either case.

What about the skitube, do you all use it? Much of a walk from the station? Any issues with it? Is parking possible at Perisher if I get there around 8am? I assume probably possible at this time of year, but is it possible on August weekends? We'd either be campervaning or staying in jindabyne.

Big price difference between skitube pass price now and it's regular price:

33. southpaw

I get skitube for the family of 4 because we can’t ensure we can get up to Perisher early enough on our day trips to Canberra and also not to muck around with chains. I know others take the opposite view. Also their is an offset not needing to get a park pass.

34. Reginald

Reginald Early Days

We had both the parks pass and the Ski Tube this year. That way we can play it by ear. September, generally no problems - drive up. 8am on July/August weekends was touch and go this year to squeeze into the Perisher carpark whereas 2017 that would have guaranteed a spot 3 rows back. Wake up late on an August weekend morning and you'll find the road closed until later in the day when folks start to leave and you'll be forced to pay rack rate for ski tube ticket, so buying now as an add-on is cheap insurance and you could actually save money if you opt to not buy the parks pass at all.

Do people like the ski tube? No, it's crowded, hot, wet and noisy. I happily put up with that for the convenience of being able to arrive at the resort safely in all weather and at a civilised time (for now at least).

Unbelievably I found it hard to get a Ski Tube carpark space at 10.30am one Saturday morning late August (ended up on the grass) and to get into the carpark had to wait in the traffic jam of people driving to Thredbo - so it's getting completely crazy everywhere on August weekends and especially Saturdays. That said, that was the worst of it and normally you will easily get a park at the Ski Tube.

Noah likes this.
  35. D-eye

I don't mind it, good for having a nap before driving back to Canberra (if you get a seat).
    I haven't used it as much this year though as I've been getting down there late afternoon so if the weather is clear have gone straight to Perisher. Whenever the weather is crap though it's always the tube.

Buy early, get it cheap. (though really it should be included by default at no cost IMO in order to encourage less people to drive up)

despot721, Noah and Reginald like this.
  36. Stratus

Stratus A Local

So i'm getting spammed with Text's from FC about the "Epic Australia Pass" and how I better buy it now before the "price rise".

Yet i can't find information anywhere on what the price is going to rise too... Its currently $850.

Anyone know?

37. southpaw

They don’t disclose it before the rise - fear marketing. Usually goes up by around 10 or so dollars each time from memory.

currawong likes this.
  38. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Ah scare marketing indeed!

Anyones guess to the full price next season?

Looks like this year was $950?

39. Noah

Noah Hard Yards

Any reason for the hesitation? I'm really bad at going over and again on decisions so I can relate to your hesitation but I figure I definitely want to ski next year and that prices aren't going to be cheaper. So whether it's going to be elnino/lanina climate change catastrophe serious injury and financial doom next year, I bought season passes for my family. I also got the insurance add-on.

The only issue might be that now that I've bought tickets it could be a terrible season, so maybe avoid on that basis. Nonetheless, my sense of misfortune lies in stark contrast to the beautiful skiing I enjoyed this season.

nezumi, Jonathan_P and currawong like this.
  40. D-eye

Look at it this way, work out the usual daily cost (or multi day type passes) compare it to the season pass, and if you think you're going to or can ski more days than that, buy it as early as possible at the cheapest price you can and don't agonize over it, or second guess it.

It opens up the possibility of quick trips at short notice, or part days, which gives you more flexibility in when and how you ski. When you buy a daily pass you feel that pressure not to waste it so may stay longer than you maybe should or would otherwise.

It doesn't really matter if it's a "good" ski season or not when you can take advantage of a pass that lets you go any time (work on the other hand...).

I don't take out the insurance, but that's just me. If I happen to have an injury that means it's a short season, oh well, I'll make up for it next year. Since Epic took over it opens up the opportunity to use it over summer if I have an injury that stops me skiing in winter. Assuming I can find the money and time off work to do a quick trip OS. (and get a new passport)

southpaw likes this.
  41. Stratus

Stratus A Local

No offence, this post has a classic marketing ring to it. You're an employee of vail? :p

42. Noah

Noah Hard Yards

Not an employee, just love skiing and I didn't buy at the earliest possible point because I was hesitating. But having bought them I thought it was stupid spending more on tickets and waiting because I was going to buy them anyway so I might as well have done it sooner and cheaper. However, I'm trying to avoid talking about skiing to everyone I know, because I want less people on the slopes. So I've changed my mind and I think it better to not buy and just see how the season goes next year because we're due for a bad season.

Chaeron and currawong like this.
  43. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Really, i thought it had a classic snow addict ring to it. IMHO if you expect to ski at least a week or so (can't be bothered doing the maths) at falls, hotham or perisher in 2020 then you might as well buy at the lowest possible price. If you have reasons to doubt that you will, then don't. Buy when things are clearer. If you reasons are medical, then read the insurance terms carefully and see if they would protect you.

Ozgirl, southpaw, Noah and 3 others like this.
  44. MarkV

MarkV One of Us

I paid $934 on the 5th of June this year. That included the insurance. The reason I waited was to see if Hotham was included as that's my main destination.

nezumi, Chaeron and currawong like this.
  45. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I'm pretty sure their increase increment is generally $20. Now, that's not guaranteed, and you could end up with a situation like Thredbo where the pass went from ~$830 to the current price of $1,499 overnight.

As Noah says, it's not going to get any cheaper. There is the question of opportunity cost (e.g. a better offer comes around, akin to the late addition of Thredbo and Buller to the Ikon pass this year), but given that you aren't required to pay the full amount in advance for a pass that isn't valid for another 9 months, you don't even have the issue of the time value of money being lost.

In short - if you are going to Perisher, Hotham or Falls next year, and you are going for more than ~8 days consecutive (possibly fewer single days?), then you might as well grab the pass.

46. southpaw

Yep this is the thing for me. Even if the season is bad one I can’t imagine going for less than 10 days overall so the pass is a no brainer, the northern hemisphere resort options is just icing on the cake.

47. Onlybackscratchers

Onlybackscratchers One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

New Epic price now $889. Still going through at $849 this morning if your quick enough.

Chaeron likes this.
  48. D-eye

Thread title updated

Jonathan_P and currawong like this.
  49. Total Whiteout

Total Whiteout One of Us

I'm in Canberra but member of a lodge at Hotham. I got one. Weekends at Perisher and a week at Hotham, so I think it works out.

Chaeron likes this.
  50. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Just got an additional pass for the 13yr old...

Goski likes this.