Epic Coverage 2021 - Specific Week

PJ PL

First Runs
May 31, 2021
Hi,

We were planning on heading to Falls Creek on the week of 12/6/21 - 19/6/21, but given the recent COVID outbreaks and lockdown in Victoria, this may not be possible.

I was wondering if anyone could clarify the policy around refunds when specifying a specific week, more specifically whether the 'specific week' (June 12 through June 19, 2021 in our case) needs to fall within the 'core season' (June 26 through September 12, 2021) or not in order to qualify? The "A qualifying Resort Closure Event must occur during the applicable Core Season" part within the "Core Season" paragraph is what's throwing me as I can't tell if this applies to the 'Specific Week' cases also.

From https://www.epicaustraliapass.com.au/images/Terms_and_Conditions/2021EpicAustraliaPassTC.pdf :

Specific Week vs. Core Season Visit. You must elect either a “Specific Week” or “Core Season Visit”. Your choice will be used to determine when the resort or resorts must be closed to trigger qualifying resort closure coverage under this policy but does not affect the days on which you may use your pass. A “Specific Week” is a seven-day consecutive period during the 2021 Australian or 2021-2022 Northern Hemisphere season. If you elect to specify a Specific Week, you may be eligible for a refund in certain circumstances in which you are unable to use your pass during the Specific Week you selected. If you elect Core Season Visit, you may be eligible for a refund in certain circumstances in which you are unable to use your pass during the applicable Core Season. For the purposes of this policy,

"Core Season" is the time period used to define the period or percentage of the applicable season impacted by the qualifying resort closure(s) when determining refunds under this policy for Resort Closure Event(s). A qualifying Resort Closure Event must occur during the applicable Core Season. Core Season is also relevant under this policy in the event you are unable to use your pass during the applicable Core Season because of a Personal Refund Event. The date ranges of the applicable “Core Season” for the purposes of this refund policy are as follows: i. Where you choose Perisher, Mt Hotham or Falls Creek as your Primary Resort: June 26, 2021 through September 12, 2021 (the "Australian Core Season")

Thanks​

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
I gave up trying to interpret their refund conditions. BUT I would say if you pick specific week then if your visit was 12 to 19 June and they don't open up would get a refund. That being said I thought you had to pick specific VS core ages ago?

For me, still haven't paid for my epic pass

Won't be doing it anytime soon either. Worst case pay for day tickets.

Reactions: Tom from Melbourne

PJ PL

First Runs
May 31, 2021
Yeah they don't make it easy, do they?! On the FAQ it then says:
A qualifying Resort Closure Event must occur during the Core Season (26 June, 2021 to 12 September, 2021). Terms and conditions apply. Please see the “How are Refunds Determined?” below for more details.

Also, I think tomorrow (June 1st) might be the last day that it can be changed if the pass was bought before then.

3. Making and Changing Your Elections You may make the elections described in Section A.2 beginning on or around the date you purchase your pass through the “My Account” section online at epicaustraliapass.com.au. If you do not make an election, your default elections for coverage under this policy will automatically be “All Australian Resorts” and “Core Season Visit”. You will still have Epic Coverage if you leave the default preferences, but the nature and extent of coverage and resulting refund might not be best suited to your needs. You may update or change your election as follows:
a. If you buy your pass on or before June 1, 2021, you may change your election at any time before the earlier of: (i) the first time you use your pass, and (ii) June 1, 2021.
b. If you buy your pass after June 1, 2021, you may change your election at any time before the earlier of (i) the first time you use your pass, and (ii) when pass sales end on epicaustraliapass.com.au.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
By asking you to declare when you a planning on using your season pass Vail have locked in a guarantee under the ACL for the time you have declared in advance you expect to make use of their service.
What does that mean?

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
This email from Perisher is completely incomprehensible. As is the website when you follow the link as it takes you to a page that asks you to buy / pay for the pass you already paid for back early May 2021.

The deadline to make your Epic Coverage elections is the earlier of 15 June or the first time you use your pass.    

There are two coverage types to choose from:  

• All Resorts or a Primary Resort for coverage: You can choose a specific Australian resort your pass has access to, or you can choose “All Resorts”. Your choice will be used to determine which resorts must be closed to trigger qualifying coverage.
  • Core Season or Specific Week for coverage: You can choose a specific week that you would like covered, or you can choose “Core Season”. The “Core Season” is from 26 June 2021 to 12 September 2021. This choice will influence how your resort closure refund is determined.
To learn more about the differences in Epic Coverage, click here and refer to “How are Refunds Determined?” section to decide on the best elections for you. Pass Holders who choose not to make an Epic Coverage election will automatically receive coverage for All Resorts and Core Season. 

Your elections do not affect the resorts or days on which you may use your pass.

To make an Epic Coverage election, use the account information below to log into your My Account on epicaustraliapass.com.au

Account Username:

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Yeah I don’t get it either. If I say pick a resort (Falls Creek) and Core Season, does that mean that if I can’t get to Falls for any of the stated reasons, I can get a refund?
If I don’t specify a resort and Victoria has restrictions, it means I don’t get a refund because Perisher isn’t affected?

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Yeah I don’t get it either. If I say pick a resort (Falls Creek) and Core Season, does that mean that if I can’t get to Falls for any of the stated reasons, I can get a refund?
If I don’t specify a resort and Victoria has restrictions, it means I don’t get a refund because Perisher isn’t affected?
Ahh, i fell less alone in my confusion. Ta

Ret-ro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
SO I picked the seaosn, but we travel before it starts and spend 10 days there form 16/6-26/6... My wifes only time down there. Refund should still be possible or recycle for Sept. Come on Victoria sort yourself out.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Ahh, i fell less alone in my confusion. Ta
I think I kind of get it now. I think if you only ride one resort for the majority of the time, that should be your primary. If you choose all Australian resorts, all resorts have to have the resort event simultaneously, which is unlikely. You can apply at end of season for the refund and the number of days you’ve used the pass is deducted as a percentage of the total days available.

For a personal event, (lockdown), you have to submit the refund request within 30 days of that event. Then, the number of days you’ve used the pass prior to the refund request, is deducted.

I think I’ll choose Falls and Core Season.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I’ll be in Jindy for 3 months. There does not seem to be a skibum option.

Reactions: Sadie

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne

There are essentially two different categories of refund under the cover.
1. Things stopping the resort from opening
2. Things that happen to you and stop you going to the resort.

The resort and time selection only apply to 1. So if you are in NSW and Perisher closes, but you have selected "all resorts", then they will say that you could still go to Hotham/Falls.

If, however, your area is subject to a lockdown like Melbourne currently is, then the selection of resort or time becomes irrelevant.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
OK, I'm on top of it now. Just really poorly worded information all over and the links in the email do not take to to the specific page to provide the info they want.

Reactions: Sadie

Ramus

Hard Yards
Jun 27, 2019
I think I kind of get it now. I think if you only ride one resort for the majority of the time, that should be your primary. If you choose all Australian resorts, all resorts have to have the resort event simultaneously, which is unlikely. You can apply at end of season for the refund and the number of days you’ve used the pass is deducted as a percentage of the total days available.

For a personal event, (lockdown), you have to submit the refund request within 30 days of that event. Then, the number of days you’ve used the pass prior to the refund request, is deducted.

I think I’ll choose Falls and Core Season.
That is basically my take on this Epic coverage too, select one resort and core season for best chance of refund if it comes to that. The default all resorts + core season is pretty much designed to deny as much liability as possible.

Also for lockdown related personal event, I don't believe it would be possible to trigger that clause due to requirement of 30 consecutive days, which even for Melbourne is unlikely given how much resistance there is to current situation of 7-14 days...

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006
Scenario - Perisher - core week + few other days.
Cover core week and if closed that week get refund (full) regardless of how many other days used?
Cover core season and closed core week refund proportionate to number days used?
Yes/No

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006
If 70% of pass holders selected core season and 30% specific week and there were restrictions with priority going to pass holders, would preference go to core season passes so as to mitigate the refund numbers?

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
There was not an accurate option for me either. You could either select one resort or all resorts, I will ski at two. I know which weeks (3 of) I will be there but you can only select one week or the full season. So I had to go the All resorts, anytime option which I guess leaves them room to wiggle out if my Falls/Hotham trip is canned due to Covid in Vic.

Ramus

Hard Yards
Jun 27, 2019
Scenario - Perisher - core week + few other days.
Cover core week and if closed that week get refund (full) regardless of how many other days used?
Cover core season and closed core week refund proportionate to number days used?
Yes/No
1, No
2, Yes

To my understanding those selections are just triggering clauses, refund amount is always align with total days use on each pass.

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
There are essentially two different categories of refund under the cover.
1. Things stopping the resort from opening
2. Things that happen to you and stop you going to the resort.

The resort and time selection only apply to 1. So if you are in NSW and Perisher closes, but you have selected "all resorts", then they will say that you could still go to Hotham/Falls.

If, however, your area is subject to a lockdown like Melbourne currently is, then the selection of resort or time becomes irrelevant.
Still don’t get it:)

I selected Perisher but still don’t know if I should select core week or core season.

First day of season will not be until 19 July now I feel.

Wonder if I select that or my August trip as core week but then does that have impacts in terms of injury when I ski outside of core week?

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Still don’t get it:)

I selected Perisher but still don’t know if I should select core week or core season.

First day of season will not be until 19 July now I feel.

Wonder if I select that or my August trip as core week but then does that have impacts in terms of injury when I ski outside of core week?

So the core season / specific week thing *only* matters for the resort being closed - it is totally separate to anything related to your personal circumstances.

As others have said here and elsewhere, if you select a specific week and the resort is closed that week, but you have used your pass for a significant amount of the season anyway, the refund amount is likely to be low, taking into account the usage already taken.

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
So the core season / specific week thing *only* matters for the resort being closed - it is totally separate to anything related to your personal circumstances.

As others have said here and elsewhere, if you select a specific week and the resort is closed that week, but you have used your pass for a significant amount of the season anyway, the refund amount is likely to be low, taking into account the usage already taken.
Perfect thanks for that, I now get it:)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass