1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Epic Pass question - Fernie, Kicking Horse etc

Discussion in 'Canada' started by buckwheat, Jan 18, 2020.

1. buckwheat

buckwheat One of Us

Hey everyone,

we're just at the beginning of planning for the 20/21 season - looking at doing a Nelson/Revvy/Lake Louise/Kicking Horse/Fernie/Kimberley loop.

As per usual trying to nut out the Epic Pass via the Perisher website is a Kafka-esque descent into madness. There does seem to be three kinds of passes:
    1. Epic Australia - which allows for skiing in Australia and limited skiing OS (ie 10 days at Whistler)
    2. Epic Australia Upgrade - same as above but unlimited skiing in Whistler.
    3. Epic Pass - which if I understand correctly, gets me Fernie/KH/Kimberley plus Telluride etc

So, the questions:
    1. Is my understanding of the passes correct?
    2. If so - given that I have put a deposit on an Epic Australia Pass - can I upgrade to a full Epic Pass when I pay the balance?
    3. If so - what is the cost of this upgrade?

All help/advice appreciated!

2. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yes
    Yes
    The difference between the two. However you won’t get the other Canadian resorts by upgrading. All that really does is get rid of blackout days and the 10 day limit.

If you specifically want the interior B.C. resorts you need to buy the US Epic.

3. buckwheat

buckwheat One of Us

Ta chicski for the clarification.

Of course trying to figure out the price of the US Epic pass is tricky using official Epic Pass websites (it seems its not just the Perisher website that makes it difficult!) but another website had it at $US939 for (I think) this current season. Divide by a nominal 65c FX and thats about $AU1450 - so about $600 more than the Epic Australia pass.

At $CA120 per day for lift tickets, we'd have to get 5 days or more for it to pay for itself. Always good to have a price reference point when figuring out our itinerary!

Personally, if I ran the Epic system, I'd rebadge the 3 Epic passes so they all had clear and distinctly different names, then have them all listed on a table on one webpage - Passes listed across the top as column headers, then resorts listed down the side, with ticks and crosses for what is and isn't available on each pass. Would be handy!

Zimbooo and Jacko4650 like this.
  4. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

We bought the 'Epic Pass' so we can ski Whistler, Kicking Horse, Fernie and Kimberly. Cost us about $1350 each when we bought them about August/September last year and was the most viable option for a 3 week ski jaunt.

#4 Sage Oya, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Zimbooo, gortonator and Scot_e17 like this.
  5. buckwheat

buckwheat One of Us

For 3 weeks, including whistler, you would def be way ahead with the full epic pass. We'll spend the bulk of our time in whitewater and revelstoke so the prospect may be semi marginal. Need to do some sums!

Sage Oya likes this.
  6. chicski

Check what’s on the a Mountain Collective. That’s what I’m using for LL, Sunshine and Revy, 2 days at each, with a bonus 2 days at Thredbo last winter. Might get in a Tahoe resort yet.

7. buckwheat

buckwheat One of Us

Ooh ooh - a very interesting option, had not considered that! Will investigate further....

Ta heaps!

Zimbooo and chicski like this.
  8. gortonator

gortonator One of Us

or Ikon Pass - 5 days at Revie, LL/Sunshine and some days in Australia I think?

9. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The other, unmentioned difference is when the pass commences. The Epic Australia pass variants go on sale at the end of our snow season, and are first valid in the Southern Hemisphere (Perisher/Falls Creek/Hotham), then in the Northern Hemisphere - so a pass that was bought in October last year will be valid for the 2020 Aus season and the 2020/21 US season.
    The full Epic Pass, however, will go on sale around March/April this year and be issued/valid by November 2020. This could be used in the 2020/21 US season and the 2021 Aus season.

The Epic Pass website has stripped a lot of the decent info now, but I have previously done a comparison of the access provided by each pass.

The Mountain Collective suggestion is good, especially if they do the same type of offer as last year where the price was something like $449 in USD and AUD: https://www.thredbo.com.au/blog/201...clusive-offer-for-australians-new-zealanders/

10. Avanti

Avanti First Runs

Will the full epic pass be able to be used at Whistler in Feb 2021 as we would wish to use the epic pass in the OZ 2021 winter. Do you buy the full epic pass through the australian website? thanks

11. chicski

You buy the USA Epic through the USA Epic site. And yes the 20/21 Epic will cover Whistler Feb 21 and Oz 21

https://www.epicpass.com/

nezumi likes this.