Epic Pass Refunds

Fast Eddie

One of Us
Jul 27, 2015
I totally agree to that you need to read terms and conditions before you book anything, but the fact that Perisher is only going to refund unused Epic Passes if the lockdown extends to 30 days or more is really shocking policy. Especially as they actively promote it to people booking single week holidays, citing the 5 day break even incentive. I imagine there are thousands of Sydney families who have booked a week in school holidays as that is their only practical opportunity to ski in any given season, and now that they are not allowed to travel to Perisher, will have no other opportunity to use their Epic Pass. (I am one of these people)

Losing $3K+ is a pretty big incentive to question your loyalty to the resort, which is incredibly unfortunate for a life-long Perisher skier. Hoping commonsense prevails here. (Or in my case the lockdown ends by next weekend)

I imagine they will cop some serious PR heat over this one.

What are people’s thoughts on this?

Balsta

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 11, 2012
I though if you nominated a time period and it’s closed during that period you got a refund? If you didn’t nominate your dates, well they assume you have the rest of the season to use it.

CIRCA1962

Addicted
May 4, 2010
ACT
I though if you nominated a time period and it’s closed during that period you got a refund? If you didn’t nominate your dates, well they assume you have the rest of the season to use it.
That was my reading of the terms and conditions. The nominated week appears to only apply if the resort closes for at least 3 days during the week. The default is the resort must close for 7 days. If you are locked out, you must be locked out for 30 days .

Reactions: crackson

Balsta

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 11, 2012
That was my reading of the terms and conditions. The nominated week appears to only apply if the resort closes for at least 3 days during the week. The default is the resort must close for 7 days. If you are locked out, you must be locked out for 30 days .

Well that sucks, I had assumed if you nominated a week and you are locked down or the resort was closed for that week you’d get a refund. I didn’t read the details as I do a bunch of random dates throughout the season, so didn’t nominate a week.

CIRCA1962

Addicted
May 4, 2010
ACT
Well that sucks, I had assumed if you nominated a week and you are locked down or the resort was closed for that week you’d get a refund. I didn’t read the details as I do a bunch of random dates throughout the season, so didn’t nominate a week.
The nominated week only applies if the resort is closed not if you are locked down.

Fast Eddie

One of Us
Jul 27, 2015
I imagine a well-crafted letter outlining the lifetime customer value vs cost of this year’s Epic Pass may yield a positive result, but hopefully it won’t come to that.

Reactions: CIRCA1962
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Meh. I’m still carrying forward 2 Ikon pass credits from last year.

Reactions: Ozgirl

BallyBar

First Runs
Jun 28, 2021
First time user of an epic pass. I was REALLY outraged at the Resort's misinformation. Headline Statement - YOU'RE COVERED FOR COVID! um.... not really. Buried in 1000 pages of terms and conditions, 30 days of COVID must happen. I was also bamboozled by this core trip stuff. I had no idea about this and found that it was poorly explained. Nothing about this during signup. possibly 2k down the drain for no service. I pretty much go a standard.. Thanks for your message, as per terms and conditions...... Yes, I admit that it is listed in 10000 pages of Legalese. but Headline statement is very misleading. CRAP company. Sigh.

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
Check out Rhythm's latest announcement: "I have hired but must return early :
"Whilst this is not the outcome we want for anyone and we understand that your holiday has been cut short we are unable to provide refunds for equipment which has already been fitted to you and must now be processed in the workshop and santised.
"We will provide you a rental credit for future use for any unused hire days."

That's pretty low as well.

Jun 18, 2021
I imagine a well-crafted letter outlining the lifetime customer value vs cost of this year’s Epic Pass may yield a positive result, but hopefully it won’t come to that.
I've tried the loyalty argument on various occasions over years - it seems to count for very little, especially if the person on the line is a poorly paid call centre employee in Mumbai or Manila.
They would have a script to reply to such enquiries.
Despite this, I've used the argument recently eg telling Kogan I'm never shopping with them again. :D

Reactions: Fast Eddie

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
Sounds reasonably fair to me. Crediting the unused days for those that had already picked up and partially used and refund for those that haven’t arrived and picked up yet

Not really, if people are REQUIRED to leave due to a NSW State-based health order, and return hire gear early, they should be refunded the difference of the rental cost. Returning equipment early does not affect their ability to hire to other customers, so there is no net negative impact compared to whether the customer had known in advance to book for the correct number of days. There's also this on the same page:

"Due to health concerns we are unable to accept returns on Goggles, Gloves, Facemasks and other items at the staff members discretion once purchased. Please consider this when making your purchase."

Which is incorrect, your consumer rights apply regardless of sanitation concerns. ACCC even has a page explicitly explaining this: "If your product fails to meet a consumer guarantee, you are entitled to a remedy under the Australian Consumer Law. This applies even if there are health concerns associated with the return of a product." If Rhythm simply means change of mind that's fine, but they should make that clear otherwise they can be found to be misleading consumers about their rights.

Oh and believe me I well know that consumers don't generally have a good grasp on what their rights actually are - but that goes both ways and when a retailer doesn't have a clear policy that is 100% in-line with the ACL more often than not retail staff will not get it right either.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
refunded the difference of the rental cost. Returning equipment early does not affect their a
They are. Just as store credit

And there is a cost returning early. They have to go through additional cleaning to get ready for rehire which isn’t really happening since Sydney can’t move anywhere

Last edited:

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
First time user of an epic pass. I was REALLY outraged at the Resort's misinformation. Headline Statement - YOU'RE COVERED FOR COVID! um.... not really. Buried in 1000 pages of terms and conditions, 30 days of COVID must happen. I was also bamboozled by this core trip stuff. I had no idea about this and found that it was poorly explained. Nothing about this during signup. possibly 2k down the drain for no service. I pretty much go a standard.. Thanks for your message, as per terms and conditions...... Yes, I admit that it is listed in 10000 pages of Legalese. but Headline statement is very misleading. CRAP company. Sigh.

Come to Thredbo.

BrindiCruiser

Addicted
Jul 24, 2016
Sounds reasonably fair to me. Crediting the unused days for those that had already picked up and partially used and refund for those that haven’t arrived and picked up yet
Better result for consumer than I would have expected.

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
They are. Just as store credit

And there is a cost returning early. They have to go through additional cleaning to get ready for rehire which isn’t really happening since Sydney can’t move anywhere

Like I said, they should be refunded the difference. For example, if 1 day hire rate is $50 and 2days is $60 and ... 7 days is $110 and they hired for 7 days but are required to leave and return gear after 2nd day then they should be refunded $50, the costs you mentioned were baked into the pricing as it was. The only possible justification would be to say the equipment was unavailable to hire to another customer - that may well be the case at Avis if you return your vehicle early, or accommodation, but it's not the case at Rhythm they would not have had to turn away a single customer due to you having the gear reserved. I'm not beating up against them or anything, just saying in my opinion it isn't reasonable because they're not suffering a loss.

If you think that's unreasonable, I have been inside other hire shops where the client has asked "can I return the gear early and get a refund" and they have said "yes we'll refund the difference". I can also remember a time another customer has asked "can we keep the gear longer?" And the answer was "yes no problem we'll just charge you the difference when you return it". I reckon if you asked Rhythm the same questions they'd give you the same answers, so you could pay 1-day hire and then avoid all risk of returning early and being refused a refund on unused days.

I don't mean to beat up on Rhythm at all by the way, but that policy makes literally no sense.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I've tried the loyalty argument on various occasions over years - it seems to count for very little, especially if the person on the line is a poorly paid call centre employee in Mumbai or Manila.
They would have a script to reply to such enquiries.
Despite this, I've used the argument recently eg telling Kogan I'm never shopping with them again. :D
I've had some success with that approach but not used it lightly

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
I'm trying to get my head around this
Are you saying they are doing extra cleaning?
I would have thought the cleaning was the same if its one day or a month?
Doesn't a one day hire at x dollars have the same cleaning costs as a multi day hire?
In essence if a 7 day hire is returned at 3 days doesn't that just become a 3 day hire?
I have had the situation with car hire where I was on a 7 day deal and returned early
They did give me a refund but it was at the applicable rate for the time I had it ...not the better 7 day rate
I thought that was fair.
They didn't charge me an extra "cleaning for re-hire fee" though because I'd returned early;)

• Haha
Reactions: Billy_Buttons

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
This is a very complicated issue and basically comes down to who bears the risk of a COVID interruption, the supplier or the customer, or should it be shared.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
Check out Rhythm's latest announcement: "I have hired but must return early :
"Whilst this is not the outcome we want for anyone and we understand that your holiday has been cut short we are unable to provide refunds for equipment which has already been fitted to you and must now be processed in the workshop and santised.
"We will provide you a rental credit for future use for any unused hire days."

That's pretty low as well.
I reckon that's a reasonable call IMHO. Not ideal, but reasonable nevertheless

GlendaN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2015
Thanks for this thread I hadn't realised Perisher had tightened the covid coverage (personal and resort) so much. I just assumed same as last year particularly as the headline statements don't give any indication of the changes. Too late now as I've bought mine but a warning to read the Ts and Cs thoroughly next year. Hopefully Qld border stays open.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
The thing that really annoys me are the only selectable options ie nominate one specific week OR the whole season (no option for three specific weeks like my booked trip). Either select one resort or all resorts (not the two Vic resorts as per my trip). Consequently I had to select all season and all resorts so if my trip goes tits up for whatever reason, I am basically sunk.

GlendaN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2015
The thing that really annoys me are the only selectable options ie nominate one specific week OR the whole season (no option for three specific weeks like my booked trip). Either select one resort or all resorts (not the two Vic resorts as per my trip). Consequently I had to select all season and all resorts so if my trip goes tits up for whatever reason, I am basically sunk.
Yes we were only going for 2 weeks but no option to nominate those dates so went core season as well.

Reactions: almontyrat

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Yes we were only going for 2 weeks but no option to nominate those dates so went core season as well.
Hope you both get to enjoy some turns (COVID can GGF). Falls, @almontyrat ? @GlendaN cross fingers that you get to experience some Epic Perisher conditions this season :)

rdwestbury

First Runs
Jul 10, 2021
I totally agree to that you need to read terms and conditions before you book anything, but the fact that Perisher is only going to refund unused Epic Passes if the lockdown extends to 30 days or more is really shocking policy. Especially as they actively promote it to people booking single week holidays, citing the 5 day break even incentive. I imagine there are thousands of Sydney families who have booked a week in school holidays as that is their only practical opportunity to ski in any given season, and now that they are not allowed to travel to Perisher, will have no other opportunity to use their Epic Pass. (I am one of these people)

Losing $3K+ is a pretty big incentive to question your loyalty to the resort, which is incredibly unfortunate for a life-long Perisher skier. Hoping commonsense prevails here. (Or in my case the lockdown ends by next weekend)

I imagine they will cop some serious PR heat over this one.

What are people’s thoughts on this?
Lockdown has put a big dampener on my season too - hoping not to flush $3k worth of season passes down the toilet but i wont be holding my breath. I'll check with a lawyer friend and see what sort of consumer protection coverage we all have. Might be the possibility of a class action!?! The negative press on that alone would possibly shake a few apples loose from the tree..

Fast Eddie

One of Us
Jul 27, 2015
It’s looking like we will hit the 30 consecutive day clause at this rate, but if not, yes I will be fighting it. Not accepting $3k down the drain
Lockdown has put a big dampener on my season too - hoping not to flush $3k worth of season passes down the toilet but i wont be holding my breath. I'll check with a lawyer friend and see what sort of consumer protection coverage we all have. Might be the possibility of a class action!?! The negative press on that alone would possibly shake a few apples loose from the tree..

GlendaN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2015
It’s looking like we will hit the 30 consecutive day clause at this rate, but if not, yes I will be fighting it. Not accepting $3k down the drain
I don't like agreeing with you but unfortunately for Greater Sydney its looking likely the 30 days will be reached. Not sure about a class action it would probably cost more than you got back but there would be value in making representations if the 30 days isn't reached. Its peculiar because Perisher has always been pretty good about refunds in my experience.

Fast Eddie

One of Us
Jul 27, 2015
Yeah I probably wouldn’t go down the path of class action. Outlining my historic spend and how much future spend is in jeopardy (they have all my customer data) would be the first step.

If that didn’t work, then I know a number of journalists and media outlets that love a “multinational corporation profiting off Covid, deny Aussie families refunds, while ma and pa small businesses refund 100% and go broke” story. I work in media so pretty easy to arrange.

Yep obviously I don’t want to go down that path as I love Perisher, have skied there for 30 years and get enormous pleasure introducing the next generation (my kids) to the place.

This is why I am confident that Vail would realise the lifetime customer value of my family and thousands like us, and would rather refund $3k than potentially lose hundreds of thousands.

Yes Vail owns a lot of resorts, but they don’t own all of them. (And I’m kinda partial to dropping into the Bluff so happy to look at the alternative)

Anyway, rant over. As we said, lockdown likely to extend past 30 days anyway so it will be a moot point.

I don't like agreeing with you but unfortunately for Greater Sydney its looking likely the 30 days will be reached. Not sure about a class action it would probably cost more than you got back but there would be value in making representations if the 30 days isn't reached. Its peculiar because Perisher has always been pretty good about refunds in my experience.

Reactions: Chaeron and GlendaN

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
Correct me if I'm wrong (please!!) but doesn't the 30 day condition refer to Perisher being locked down for that time, not Greater Sydney being locked down for 30 days?

Fast Eddie

One of Us
Jul 27, 2015
Yeah that's what I thought.
Nope. Also covers lockdowns of your place of residence.

Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 12.14.46 pm.png

steeps

One of Us
May 8, 2006
I'm a proud New South Welshman

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
My season has also been wrecked by Lockdown; I'm trying to avoid losing $3k in season passes, but I'm not holding my breath.
I'll check with a buddy who works as a criminal lawyer in Toowoomba to see whether we're all covered under consumer protection. Is there a chance a class action case may be filed?! The unfavorable publicity alone might cause a few apples to fall off the tree.
What aspect of your circumstances does not fit the existing refund options? In QLD but unwilling to travel to Perisher?

Stevie84

Hard Yards
Aug 17, 2020
Has anyone been successful in getting refund on lift tickets or lessons that weren't used due to the lockdown?

I've been waiting for a refund for 2 weeks so far, but not reply to my emails and no refund processed to my bank account.

Last edited:

Fast Eddie

One of Us
Jul 27, 2015
Has anyone been successful in getting refund on lift tickets of lessons that weren't used due to the lockdown?

I've been waiting for a refund for 2 weeks so far, but not reply to my emails and no refund processed to my bank account.
I’ve had my lessons and ski tube refunded. Yep obviously not epic pass yet

Reactions: Stevie84
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass