One of Us
- Jul 9, 2015
As I live in Queensland I've applied for a refund on the basis the border closure is effectively the same as a lockdown. I've had a couple of emails acknowledging the delay but no outcome as yet. It looks like they're still considering whether to accept this as meeting the policy but given the T and Cs refer to comparable mandatory government orders hopefully they'll provide a refund. If not a smaller refund under resort closure I guess. As I only skied 2 days it makes it expensive.