Epic Pass Refunds

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
You are lucky. Charlotte Pass is still arguing that they are being nice by offering to transfer my season pass to 2022. Fortunately paid for 2 season passes on Mastercard, so have thrown it to the bank as a disputed charge.
Not sure if I am going to bother with another attempt at Charlotte Pass next year, based on my experience customer service is woeful.

Reactions: cornice12

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Not sure if I am going to bother with another attempt at Charlotte Pass next year, based on my experience customer service is woeful.

I'm working out my options for continuing to ski CP without giving Blyton Group a brass wazoo. +0.95 (Mk III) isn't keen on skinning in for a week with a backpack..... might have to invest in a pulk.

Reactions: Jonathan_P

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
Thanks Perisher for refunding our group in under 4 days. One of them done on the same day!!! Way to go/.

Reactions: Jonathan_P

canestocks

One of Us
May 21, 2012
Armidale
Just got knocked back on refund. Given full credit for next season if I buy before next week.

Interesting that they said my postcode was not in lockdown for 30 continous days during the core season. When we counted at least 33. Seeking clarification.

Trouble with a credit is that I prob not skiing next season with a new hip due in autumn.
No reponse as yet to a number of emails.

Tonight my credit at the first offer $$ runs out? What do I do? Given my situation for next season I'd like the refund.

Beginning to wonder if the reply tag actually sends it back to them?

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
@canestocks , send a follow-up email to claims@epicaustraliapass.com.au. Don’t hit the ‘reply’ button.

After 5 weeks of silence, I did just that this morning with a polite enquiry as to how my claim based on resort closure (all Australian resorts) was progressing. I had a response within 2 hours stating that my refund request had been approved and I would get a refund of 25.3% of my Epic pass (based on 20 days closed out of 79 in the core season). $217.33 coming back into my bank account. Very happy with that given I’d skied 10 days at Perisher up until that point. Thumbs up to the Epic team from me :thumbs:

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
@canestocks , send a follow-up email to claims@epicaustraliapass.com.au. Don’t hit the ‘reply’ button.

After 5 weeks of silence, I did just that this morning with a polite enquiry as to how my claim based on resort closure (all Australian resorts) was progressing. I had a response within 2 hours stating that my refund request had been approved and I would get a refund of 25.3% of my Epic pass (based on 20 days closed out of 79 in the core season). $217.33 coming back into my bank account. Very happy with that given I’d skied 10 days at Perisher up until that point. Thumbs up to the Epic team from me :thumbs:
thats amazing you got that given you'd skied 10 days. Well done.

Reactions: Lady Penelope

gaz35

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2013

tried this - makes no difference. The only time I received a quick response was when I said I was having trouble purchasing. Response within an hour. It is a woeful organisation where the customer is truly a statistic.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria

Well well, - Email notification (2 weeks old) sitting in hubby's junk mail folder.
As above we both got 25% refund on our Epic passes. Happy enough with that - we skied 6 days.

Thanks to all those who pointed out the fine print to me.
Early on I didn't think we were eligible for any refund at all.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Applied for refund on 31 October on the grounds of "stay at home" (actually more like "could have gone but couldn't have got home". Received an e-mail yesterday saying "sorry, border closure doesn't entitle you to a refund, but we will give you a full credit of your lift & skitube passes to next season". I'm happy with that - it's what I would have spent the refund on anyway. Done & locked in for next year.
Same for Perth for PB.
Basically no charge transfer to next year. Wasn’t going to buy them again for next season, but if it’s a free transfer to 2022 or kiss your cash goodbye then I’ll take the tix thanks.

Reactions: iagreewithhim

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
200.gif

Ruth

First Runs
Dec 19, 2021
Can someone help please? I am from QLD and was set to ski in Perisher on 15th August 21. Air tickets/bus ticket/accommodation etc. As you know they closed the resort that day so we had no alternative but to cancel - we did not ski one day this year. ACT also had a lockdown and that was where are flights were headed. We purchased the epic pass as the hotel advised us that the previous year they gave priority to those people when it came to lift passes. We are 71 and 67 and this was to be our last ski as our bodies are cracking up. I did not nominate a week with epic pass prior to going as I didn't see why I should as it is supposed to be a season pass and didn't think it was necessary. I have now written to them about 20 times and they don't answer emails or the phone as you all know. They have finally agree to give credit but we do not wish to ski anymore. Has anyone gone to the the ACCC? Is it worth the trouble? What a ruthless company! how can they profit out of a lockdown? Can anyone advise me about the ACCC please?

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Can someone help please? I am from QLD and was set to ski in Perisher on 15th August 21. Air tickets/bus ticket/accommodation etc. As you know they closed the resort that day so we had no alternative but to cancel - we did not ski one day this year. ACT also had a lockdown and that was where are flights were headed. We purchased the epic pass as the hotel advised us that the previous year they gave priority to those people when it came to lift passes. We are 71 and 67 and this was to be our last ski as our bodies are cracking up. I did not nominate a week with epic pass prior to going as I didn't see why I should as it is supposed to be a season pass and didn't think it was necessary. I have now written to them about 20 times and they don't answer emails or the phone as you all know. They have finally agree to give credit but we do not wish to ski anymore. Has anyone gone to the the ACCC? Is it worth the trouble? What a ruthless company! how can they profit out of a lockdown? Can anyone advise me about the ACCC please?
QLD wasn’t locked down, and transit through ACT was permitted. They’ve gone beyond their T&C in offering you a credit. Go skiing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chop and Chaeron

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Welcome to the forum, @Ruth ! I think you are far from the only Queensland resident feeling let down by Vail at the moment. By all means try the ACCC, but I don’t know how much joy you’ll have. Still, sometimes squeaky wheels get oiled! Don’t rule out skiing next year with your credit, by the way. There’s quite a collection of over 60s (and over 70s) hitting the slopes at Perisher, putting younger folk to shame with their fitness.

Reactions: Chop and skifree

Pippenn_2K

Hard Yards
Mar 13, 2017
I am still waiting for a reply / refund. Last communication was about 6 or 7 weeks ago saying that they apologised for the delay but they are still looking at this.
I sent a follow up email over a week ago and nothing.

Ruth

First Runs
Dec 19, 2021
QLD wasn’t locked down, and transit through ACT was permitted. They’ve gone beyond their T&C in offering you a credit. Go skiing.
Maybe QLD wasn’t fully locked down but Perisher actually closed down and not operating. How can I possibly go skiing?

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Maybe QLD wasn’t fully locked down but Perisher actually closed down and not operating. How can I possibly go skiing?
And you are eligible for a pro rata refund for that time. Have you applied on that basis? Within the guidelines? That is quite straightforward, I received a % refund on that basis myself (ACT).

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
I received an email today, in regards to my partners epic pass refund from last year.

Stated that an audit had found they had not refunded the original $49 deposit, due to it being on an expired credit card. The email gave me a $49 voucher, with option for a credit card refund if preferred.

So for anyone who didn't receive the $49 deposit, keep your eyes open, and if you don't hear anything, worth contacting them

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
I received an email today, in regards to my partners epic pass refund from last year.

Stated that an audit had found they had not refunded the original $49 deposit, due to it being on an expired credit card. The email gave me a $49 voucher, with option for a credit card refund if preferred.

So for anyone who didn't receive the $49 deposit, keep your eyes open, and if you don't hear anything, worth contacting them
That's great news.

Now here's one thread I hope is not active this winter! :out:

nezumi

One of Us
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
In order not to start a new thread - we're already at it again with people who want to have their cake and eat it too trying to get the early bird pricing on the Epic Aus Pass and then cancelling the pass before the final payment is taken.

I just.... I don't get it. The whole concept behind the early bird pricing is that you are committing to the purchase in order to get a lower price. The terms of sale are *very* clear. Would these people also enter into a rental agreement, leave after 2 months and claim that they weren't required to pay out the balance of the lease? :/

Yes, I can see an argument for offering refunds in order to maintain goodwill - but that's the choice of the company. The number of people I see saying "take it to the ACCC" is absurd - you have a change of mind, the service you are being charged for is still available, so the service provider hasn't failed in upholding their obligations....

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
In order not to start a new thread - we're already at it again with people who want to have their cake and eat it too trying to get the early bird pricing on the Epic Aus Pass and then cancelling the pass before the final payment is taken.

I just.... I don't get it. The whole concept behind the early bird pricing is that you are committing to the purchase in order to get a lower price. The terms of sale are *very* clear. Would these people also enter into a rental agreement, leave after 2 months and claim that they weren't required to pay out the balance of the lease? :/

Yes, I can see an argument for offering refunds in order to maintain goodwill - but that's the choice of the company. The number of people I see saying "take it to the ACCC" is absurd - you have a change of mind, the service you are being charged for is still available, so the service provider hasn't failed in upholding their obligations....
I've said it before but I take issue with the use of the term "deposit" with the epic pass as it implies that it's not a final purchase. Sure it's buried in the terms and conditions that it's not a deposit but honestly not everyone is going to read that in the same way they don't read software licences.
I would have less issue with the practice if it was called a "first installment" or similar as it's less ambiguous.
In years gone by before they became "premium" thredbo also had a deposit in place, but unlike the epic pass you could cancel and forfeit the deposit. This led to some people (myself included) assuming that the same applied to the epic pass on the basis of them using that word.
TL;DR even though it's in the fine print calling the initial payment a deposit is shifty as fcuk and I can understand how it catches people out.

nezumi

One of Us
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I've said it before but take issue with the use of the term "deposit" with the epic pass as it implies that it's not a final purchase. Sure it's buried in the terms and conditions that it's not a deposit but honestly not everyone is going to read that in the same way they don't read software licences.
I would have less issue with the practice if it was called a "first installment" or similar as it's less ambiguous.
In years gone by before they became "premium" thredbo also had a deposit in place, but unlike the epic pass you could cancel and forfeit the deposit. This led to some people (myself included) assuming that the same applied to the epic pass on the basis of them using that word.
TL;DR even though it's in the fine print calling the initial payment a deposit is shifty as fcuk and I can understand how it catches people out.

I haven't seen deposit used - in the Ts & Cs they refer to a "first instalment" only, and the only advertising I could find says "$49 upfront".

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
I haven't seen deposit used - in the Ts & Cs they refer to a "first instalment" only, and the only advertising I could find says "$49 upfront".
If that's the case it looks like they've improved that wording. I wonder if that was in response to upheld complaints?

Reactions: LMB

GlendaN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2015
I've said it before but I take issue with the use of the term "deposit" with the epic pass as it implies that it's not a final purchase. Sure it's buried in the terms and conditions that it's not a deposit but honestly not everyone is going to read that in the same way they don't read software licences.
I'm not sure I agree deposit has those connotations as you pay a 'deposit' on a house and that's usually not refundable and you can't back out easily but I do agree it would be better to use first instalment as some people definitely don't understand you're committed to full purchase.

Reactions: LMB

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
I'm not sure I agree deposit has those connotations as you pay a 'deposit' on a house and that's usually not refundable and you can't back out easily but I do agree it would be better to use first instalment as some people definitely don't understand you're committed to full purchase.
A deposit in the context of a house has exactly that connotation, if you back out you forfeit that amount. A scan of the T&C for the full North American epic pass shows they still use the term "deposit" in their marketing buried halfway down the page:

Deposit Policy. If you pay a deposit for a Season Pass, you agree to be bound by the Season Pass Deposit Policy, which is located below.
Later
I UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT BY PAYING THE $49 DEPOSIT, I AM COMMITTING TO BUY A SEASON PASS FOR THE SKI & RIDE SEASON. I FURTHER UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THIS $49 PAYMENT IS NON-REFUNDABLE, EXCEPT AS SET FORTH IN THE EPIC Coverage Refund Policy

I can only infer that someone pulled them up for it under Australian consumer law as being misleading. If it wasn't shifty as fcuk why wouldn't they use that term here too?

Reactions: nezumi

Lucas

Hard Yards
Jan 17, 2020
If that's the case it looks like they've improved that wording. I wonder if that was in response to upheld complaints?

They did use the term "deposit" in the past and don't seem to now

GlendaN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2015
Just a reminder to any Queenslanders who got a snow credit and haven't yet applied it to their Epic Pass to do so ASAP before final payment is due next week. I remembered at about 2am this morning all sorted now.

Reactions: Bananax and nezumi
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass