Epic Pass Refunds

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Can't recall exactly but Cardrona seemed to have a much more liberal covid policy.
Ive bought Nzski 3 peaks pass but hopefully won't have any problems with refund as I included pass protection for the first time ever. Just hope they don't wait the 8 weeks and then say we're still open, where are you? Come and enjoy our our ephemeral WROD.
Yeah.My passes this year were rolled over from last year so I didn't even think of pass protection.Not even sure I could have added it on even if I knew I had to

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
And a us class action,

But keep trying to make it my fault they're thieves.

Class actions in the US are a dime a dozen and that one hasn't gone anywhere.

Last year in Australia, not the US, they closed their Victorian resorts and refunded Victorians. The supposidly exact situation in the class action lawsuit on US they refunded here, they even sent out an email telling people they were eligible for a refund:

Falls Creek and Hotham will not reopen for Spring Skiing​

Dear Daniel,

Vail Resorts announced today it will not reopen its lift operations at Falls Creek and Hotham for Spring skiing following the Victorian government announcement of Stage 4 restrictions for Melbourne and Stage 3 restrictions for regional Victoria for six weeks, amidst continuing challenges associated with the spread of COVID-19.

While it is disappointing to mark the end of the season, we would like to thank our teams who worked incredibly hard to open our resorts this winter. We are focused first and foremost on health and safety, following local health guidelines and doing our part to support efforts across Victoria to address the current COVID-19 health crisis.

If you retained your Epic Australia Pass planning to ski and board late season at Falls Creek and Hotham you may apply for a refund under Epic Coverage at claims@epicaustraliapass.com.au.

We want to thank our loyal guests who made reservations for this winter, for your patience and understanding and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resorts for the 2021 season.

If Vail tries to creatively interpret section b1a to not include government travel restrictions from Syd to Perisher then you can expect the ACCC would intervene once they received enough complaints and come down on them swiftly like a ton of bricks. They're the regulator, and their interpretation of the policy would be legally enforceable and that would probably be all it takes to get Vail into line. If Vail decided to dispute this in court, then would then most likely lose and be forced to display an infringement notice prominently on their homepage for 6 weeks. However we have no evidence that they won't do the right thing here, just speculation based on unhappy American customers.

The US was in a completely different situation. Many of the people complaining that they can't get refunds are technically not eligible. For example in many instances they were able to travel and subject themselves to two-week quarantine in some instances to ski and chose not to. That's not covered under Epic Coverage and to be clear, it never was. What we have in Australia is a different situation, it clearly qualifies under Section B (Personal Refund Events) section 1a (stay at home order).

Any QLDers know whats going on with refunds? While technically I could drive to Perisher bypassing Sydney I believe I'd have to go into Govt isolation at my expense for 2 weeks on return. No sane person is going to risk that surely?

Even if the borders reopen which seem highly unlikely at this stage a snap closure is on the cards at anytime.

Aargh, and I thought NZ would be my Plan B this year.
Staring at my new skis and carefully calibrated bindings.....

That is not covered by Epic Coverage. You can still choose to use your pass, so you are not eligible for a refund. Whether you agree with the terms or not, Epic Coverage is not an insurance product, it's just a refund policy (a legally binding and enforceable one), you have the choice to take out 3rd-party ski insurance to cover you for other reasons. Well more technically Epic Coverage iss a terms and conditions document which incorporates a refund policy.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Email sent, with daughter‘ drivers licence and my Epic pass order. Standard response:

Thank you for contacting the Guest Services team and for your commitment to keeping yourself and our communities safe. Your enquiry (#####) has been received.

We acknowledge that the recently announced travel restrictions and stay at home orders issued by NSW Health and VIC Health have impacted guests’ school holiday travel plans.

Pre-purchased lift ticket, lesson and rental product refunds will be provided to anyone who has been in the Greater Sydney region, including the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Wollongong and Shellharbour on or after 21 June and are subject to the current stay at home orders. Please note that any refunds requested will be processed over the coming weeks.

To ensure that you are receiving all further correspondence regarding your cancellation enquiry, we encourage you to also check your spam and junk mail folders regularly, and mark this email address as safe.

Kind regards,

Guest Services

Wait now and see.

Doesn't mention season pass products ....

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
I would be happy to roll all my families season passes over to 2022 hoping that becomes an option
after Glad extends lockdown by 4 weeks tomorrow there will be a rush, so I hope they offer it too
a bit pointless refunding me the money then asking to have it back a few weeks later

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
after Glad extends lockdown by 4 weeks tomorrow there will be a rush, so I hope they offer it too
a bit pointless refunding me the money then asking to have it back a few weeks later
So if she adds 4 weeks to the lockdown that only takes it up to the end of August. Still at least a month of the season left after that.
Hmmmmm.....

Reactions: GlenH

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
So if she adds 4 weeks to the lockdown that only takes it up to the end of August. Still at least a month of the season left after that.
Hmmmmm...
I was depressed at that news but do like your positive thinking.

Think I better start packing my T shirts.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
Hmmmmm.....
I’ve had two lodge bookings this year, 10 and 11 days - first already cancelled, second about to go
work arrangements probably wouldn’t permit a Sept ski trip, even if Glad allowed it

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
So 4 more weeks from Saturday. How long can we hold off before putting in for an EPIC pass refund and still satisfying the 30 day condition?

Reactions: GlenH

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006
So 4 more weeks from Saturday. How long can we hold off before putting in for an EPIC pass refund and still satisfying the 30 day condition?
My understanding is you can do it anytime after your 30 days lockdown

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
I have to admit that I haven't thoroughly read the T &Cs but from what I've read here there's a divergent of opinions.
One group says that you need to make a claim within 30 days of you qualifying to make the claim. ie 30 days from now
The other says that you can put in a claim within 30 days of your last opportunity to use the pass.ie 30 days from the end of the season.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Ill let you know...put mine in for 2 x epic passes as its been 30 days of lockdown already....our other tickets, not Epics, were refunded 3 weeks ago

Ooh that says drivers licence not ok. Will resubmit with other evidence from offspring.

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Yes - I attached a Rates Notice
I've emailed a question to the Epic contact page and there is a minimum 5 day delay on responses which does not surprise me given the volume of enquiries I imagine they are getting.

Reactions: currawong

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Considering how many staff were recently let go, it's a bit lame to now claim they don't have enough staff to process refund enquiries and applications. Or even answer the phone.

I feel a bit sorry for those whose task it is to process all of this. They must be taking a lot of heat from customers and the management.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
Considering how many staff were recently let go, it's a bit lame to now claim they don't have enough staff to process refund enquiries and applications. Or even answer the phone.
I feel a bit sorry for those whose task it is to process all of this. They must be taking a lot of heat from customers and the management.
yep, like it's their fault there's a lockdown :rolleyes:
sadly there probably are people like that

Reactions: crackson

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra

30 days from the last day of the lockdown is my reading. You can say your 30-day period is the 30 days immediately prior to your application, it doesn't matter that the lockdown itself started earlier you are entitled to nominate any continuous 30-day "stay at home"equivalent period. So long as the 30 days is in the core season - June 26-September 12.

Reactions: Olgreg and crackson

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
I'm still holding out some hope (yep I know) that they'll lift the lockdown in time for me to be still able to get some days in before the end of the season.
I'll wait till then to put in a claim.
Although I recall someone posting that you'd be better off getting the refund and then buying day tickets for the odd days if the lockdown lifts.

Reactions: Schnitzelnschnapps

GlendaN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2015
They covered it last year I think in the same circumstances but I gather things are tighter this year. Cant see any clauses that would apply from a brief read but maybe ACCC would have an opinion on a what a reasonable person would expect from Vail's insurance/marketing spiel. If not my recent concussions from mtn biking may well turn out to be a positive;)
All of NSW is a declared hotspot for Queensland so its arguably a 'Stay at Home' order imo. I hope so anyway as I can't see the declaration for NSW changing anytime soon.

Slalom

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 17, 2013
Melbourne
Apologies if this has been asked already.
Would I be correct in assuming that a Victorian that can use their Epic pass in Vic but won’t be able to use the “ski tube” option due to border closures, won’t get a refund on the ski tube add on?

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Apologies if this has been asked already.
Would I be correct in assuming that a Victorian that can use their Epic pass in Vic but won’t be able to use the “ski tube” option due to border closures, won’t get a refund on the ski tube add on?
I wouldn't assume that. I think it's worth asking Vail.

Reactions: Chaeron and Slalom

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com

How many? Lifties dominate I guess?

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
I note they still haven't updated this page:

“We acknowledge that the recently announced travel restrictions and stay at home orders issued by NSW Health and VIC Health have impacted guests’ school holiday travel plans. Please visit the Epic Coverage FAQ’s for more details on your eligibility to submit an Epic Coverage claim.
“...
“With the current travel restrictions and stay-at-home orders issued by NSW and Vic Health not issued for a period of 30 or more consecutive days, you are not eligible to make a claim under this personal refund event at this time. A link to the full terms and conditions of the 2021 Epic Australia Pass is available here.”

I just wanted to point out while that hasn't been updated, it's clear that they acknowledge the NSW State government's restrictions as qualifying under the Epic Coverage for a refund once the orders hit 30 days (as they now have).

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Props to NZSki
They offered me a refund or credit for our season passes without too much fuss
After 25 years of support it's nice that I don't have to have a sour opinion of a company that has given me and my family immense joy over the years

Reactions: GlendaN and snowgum

Gumbo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2000
Wollongong N.S.W
Personally I would rather a rollover option, then I don't have
To explain the benifits of a season pass to the Boss again.
Makes so much sense. Not looking forward to casing a credit for 5 season passes only to see 5 season passes paid for around the same time. Just roll it over

Reactions: Val Desire

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
Bit the bullet and applied for the pro rata refund under the stay at home clause, I used the pass for 2 days
On the opening weekend, my daughter also purchaced on line tix for the same 2
Days for $202.00, lets see what happens .

JayJee

Out of the frying pan into the fire
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2011
I lodged my Epic pass claim on July 14th and have heard absolutely nothing. Has anyone heard anything?

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
I'm finding that refunds on ski hire and normal lift passes are quite quick but there seems to be a long queue of Epic enquiries.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
I'm finding that refunds on ski hire and normal lift passes are quite quick but there seems to be a long queue of Epic enquiries.
Possibly because ski hire and Lift passes are mountain specific, I think lessons would be in the same boat. You are probably getting a refund from an on mountain staff member rather than from Vail itself.

Reactions: GlenH and dawooduck

Deanski

Addicted
Jun 26, 2017
Cronulla
So guys and girls a question for those of you who have read the Epic terms and conditions. Wife and I bought Epic passes. We logged in and selected Perisher as our "primary resort". And we selected "core season". The core season according to the T&C is 26th of June until the 12th September.
We were booked in for a 7 day trip starting the 1st of August, but being that we are in Sydney we naturally are under stay at home orders.
The weekend of the 5th of June we were heading down to just drop a few things up at the lodge we were staying at, but there happened to be that reasonable dump of snow, so we decided it would be nice to get the skies out and have a run around, which we did for two half days. The mountain was packed, lift lines were taking over an hour and there was only 3 or 4 lifts running so it was not fun skiing, but nice to be doing so that early in the year.
My question is....being that we DID actually use the Epic passes those two days, what is your opinion on whether or not we will get a full refund on the Epic passes??
If they indicate that they are going to prorata refund us, my argument would be that the June weekend is not in our selected core season, which to me is how I read their terms and conditions.....that being that the event needs to occur within the elected resort and elected season.
In summary, we basically had two Epic passes, used them two days outside of the elected core season and we couldn't go on our planned trip in August. And for the sake of answering this one, please just assume that the end of the core season they state (being the 12th of Sept) will be reached as it looks we will still be in lockdown anyway. Effectively meaning we were unable to ski at all in any of the days within the core season.
How do you guys read it in that case? I have a funny feeling they will refund prorata.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
So guys and girls a question for those of you who have read the Epic terms and conditions. Wife and I bought Epic passes. We logged in and selected Perisher as our "primary resort". And we selected "core season". The core season according to the T&C is 26th of June until the 12th September.
We were booked in for a 7 day trip starting the 1st of August, but being that we are in Sydney we naturally are under stay at home orders.
The weekend of the 5th of June we were heading down to just drop a few things up at the lodge we were staying at, but there happened to be that reasonable dump of snow, so we decided it would be nice to get the skies out and have a run around, which we did for two half days. The mountain was packed, lift lines were taking over an hour and there was only 3 or 4 lifts running so it was not fun skiing, but nice to be doing so that early in the year.
My question is....being that we DID actually use the Epic passes those two days, what is your opinion on whether or not we will get a full refund on the Epic passes??
If they indicate that they are going to prorata refund us, my argument would be that the June weekend is not in our selected core season, which to me is how I read their terms and conditions.....that being that the event needs to occur within the elected resort and elected season.
In summary, we basically had two Epic passes, used them two days outside of the elected core season and we couldn't go on our planned trip in August. And for the sake of answering this one, please just assume that the end of the core season they state (being the 12th of Sept) will be reached as it looks we will still be in lockdown anyway. Effectively meaning we were unable to ski at all in any of the days within the core season.
How do you guys read it in that case? I have a funny feeling they will refund prorata.
Prorata.

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Yep T & C's state pro-rata. Approx 15 percent of season pass value deducted for each day of use.

Reactions: Aractus
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass