Epic Pass Refunds

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
As the above have said, it'll be pro-rata. I'm assuming that by "two and a half days" that you mean three days? If you use a ski lift once on a given date that's one day. That isn't really explained explicitly in the terms, but it is implicit and it's stated on the website: "Any days your pass is scanned at Vail Resorts owned and operated resorts, as well as any days your pass is scanned at our partner resorts, will count towards your number of days, regardless of the time period of the season in which your pass was scanned." I've never known Perisher, or for that matter Thredbo, to refund a lift pass after someone rides a lift. So if you've ridden lifts on three different days you'd be entitled to 57% of the purchase price of the Epics as the refund as outlined here. The pro-rata calculation is reasonable and proportionate IMO, and I also like how it's simple (~14%/day). If I was in your situation @Deanski I'd be happy with their pro-rata calculated refund.

It'll be interesting to see when they actually start processing these refunds. They may be working on a system to streamline it on their end if that makes sense, but I guess we'll see!

They really need to update this page though, leaving it how it is they could be seen to be misleading their customers about their rights.

Pete Holden

Addicted
Aug 18, 2019
Will there be issues if I request a refund of my Epic Australia Pass and book a September/October date with regular daily tickets (assuming the best case scenario of lockdown lifted) on the same card?

Gumbo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2000
Wollongong N.S.W
Emailed Perisher about if it was possible using the refund to roll over to next year. I actually got a response but it was pretty useless basically refer to this link and the link only spoke about refunds. I can see us having Perisher drag the refund along and next season being due.

• Wow
Reactions: Val Desire

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
Emailed Perisher about if it was possible using the refund to roll over to next year. I actually got a response but it was pretty useless basically refer to this link and the link only spoke about refunds. I can see us having Perisher drag the refund along and next season being due.
The way things are going next seasons pass will be on sale before we get a refund., Just give me a credit.

Reactions: JM72 and Chaeron

steeps

One of Us
May 8, 2006
I'm a proud New South Welshman
Godot and I have become best friends...although he is not that talkative.....whilst we wait.....GoGo, the other character I'm hanging with says the Snow Ghost Gums are looking good for a tie down.......sent another WTF is the wait email.....

Deanski

Addicted
Jun 26, 2017
Cronulla
Thanks everyone for your responses. What has me confused is this........there is reference to the core season and it is also what my wife and I selected as our choice. "Perisher" and "Core season" The T's & C's state the core season being from the 26th of June until the 12th September. Our lockdown began on the 26th of June. Its likely going to be after the 12th September before it ends meaning that the ENTIRE core season our passes were unusable.
I am curious as to your thoughts in the below passage from the T&C's, because the way I read it, if the entire core season has passed and we weren't able to access the resort, this states we would be refunded 100%. The "worked example" at the bottom is the exact selection we made.
The June opening weekend we went down was well before the "core season". Its confusing to work out what they will use to determine refunds.
b. Core Season Visit. If you elected Core Season Visit, and there is a Resort Closure Event of 7 or more consecutive days during the applicable Core Season date range, your refund with respect to a Resort Closure Event under this policy will be a percentage of your Purchase Price, taking into account the total portion of the available days in the Australian Core Season and / or Northern Hemisphere Core Season as applicable (depending on your coverage preferences) that are lost due to a Resort Closure Event. The percentage refund you receive will be determined by dividing the number of days that any Resort Closure Event(s) transpired by the number of available days in the applicable Core Season. The number of available days in the applicable Core Season are as follows:
i. Australian Core Season: 79 available days
ii. Northern Hemisphere Core Season: 130 available days
iii. Australian Core Season and Northern Hemisphere Core Season: 209 available days
 Worked Example (Core Season Visit - Primary Resort): If you select Core Season Visit and choose Perisher as your Primary Resort, if Perisher is closed for 40 days of the Australian Core Season due to a qualifying Resort Closure Event, by submitting a refund request, you would receive a refund of 50% of your pass purchase price (i.e. 40 days lost divided by 79 available days of the Australian Core Season).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

amyannick

Addicted
Jan 2, 2021
a Resort Closure Event

The resort is not closed.

The section you have quoted will not apply to you (or anyone yet). You should qualify for a refund under the "personal refund events" section (Section B). It sets out pretty clearly the percentage you will be refunded which is 71% (if I read correctly that you used your pass for 2 days). There is no mention of the days of use falling in the core season or otherwise.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Howdy: I note this is P page, and I’m stuck in Vic (Mel). But since this is The Epic Pass page, I thought is the place to ask.

I’m in a club lodge and this week was to be my second attempt to ski at Falls this year.
This year is the first time we bought EP for the family; 2 A +1C

Im now starting to look at a third attempt to book our week (assuming Mel follows regional Vic out of LD soon?). I’ll try commercial as well as our club - there’s an awfully large pool of members chasing a declining number of weeks of season. :(

So my question: if we don’t find affordable / any accommodation- have we got any chance of a full or partial refund; or any chance of rolling over our passes to next year? Clearly the 30 days’ clause won’t wash.

Thanks in advance for your views - feeling a bit nonplused like the rest of you but I doubt us Vics’ will have the same ability for a refund? Cheers. :thumbs:

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
They'll give you a refund/credit in a timely manner and their staff are ready and waiting to answer your questions by email or phone.

Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
They'll give you a refund/credit in a timely manner and their staff are ready and waiting to answer your questions by email or phone.
Cheers sounds more promising. Let’s hope we don’t need this option. With good snow at Falls & Hotham, I’d prefer to ski. ;)

Spence

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2019
Sydney
Ever the optimist, I have been holding off cancelling my season pass, but with this weeks infection figures, us Sydney siders aren't going to be able to travel for a while yet.
So I have just sent an email requesting the cancelation of my pass and a refund :cry:.
Maybe I can get down in September for a bit of a walk around? Fingers crossed.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Ever the optimist, I have been holding off cancelling my season pass, but with this weeks infection figures, us Sydney siders aren't going to be able to travel for a while yet.
So I have just sent an email requesting the cancelation of my pass and a refund :cry:.
Maybe I can get down in September for a bit of a walk around? Fingers crossed.
email?
didn't use the portal and attach documents?

Spence

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2019
Sydney
email?
didn't use the portal and attach documents?
Yep email to customer services. I logged on to my Epic Pass account but there didn’t seem to be a link to the Covid related refund.
I looked on the Perisher website and there is a link to email customer services. So I just followed that. They replied that it was being processed. Seems straight forward enough.
I’ll let you know how it goes.

Reactions: coolair

Olgreg

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 21, 2011
Dolans Bay
I pulled the pin too. I posted sometime ago that I had emailed epicpass to check the details- 30 days to decide after 30 days lockdown- received no reply, and it was time given the situation in Sydney.

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
I pulled the pin too. I posted sometime ago that I had emailed epicpass to check the details- 30 days to decide after 30 days lockdown- received no reply, and it was time given the situation in Sydney.
I also asked Epic for advice on options a few weeks ago but no reply yet.

I'm hanging on as I have some weekends booked in September but realise the chances are diminishing and/or by the time I do get there individual tickets may be cheaper.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Yep email to customer services. I logged on to my Epic Pass account but there didn’t seem to be a link to the Covid related refund.
I looked on the Perisher website and there is a link to email customer services. So I just followed that. They replied that it was being processed. Seems straight forward enough.
I’ll let you know how it goes.
I did mine via a portal type thingy..
Filled in the names and ages of the pass holders affected.
Attached a rates notice and utility bill as proof of residence..
Then pressed submit.
Got a reply 20 seconds later.

Here

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
An EPIC pass holder friend who lives outside the Sydney lockdown but had to cancel his stay because the rest of his group (ie me and others) live in Sydney seems to think he's eligible for a refund. I've advised him that he's dreamin.
Am I right? I can't see any way he'd qualify as there'd be nothing stopping him from making use of his pass.

Bananax

Hard Yards
Sep 9, 2020
An EPIC pass holder friend who lives outside the Sydney lockdown but had to cancel his stay because the rest of his group (ie me and others) live in Sydney seems to think he's eligible for a refund. I've advised him that he's dreamin.
Am I right? I can't see any way he'd qualify as there'd be nothing stopping him from making use of his pass.

If he actually can go, he is not eligible I think. You are not entitled to a refund if your friend’s not working I think. :(

Fast Eddie

One of Us
Jul 27, 2015
Yep, received that. Has anyone yet received a refund, or confirmation that their claim has been approved?

kew1

First Runs
Aug 12, 2021
Queensland - does anyone have any infromation on refunds of EPIC due to state border closures? all info says we are not covered. any information from anyone much appreciated . in the US vail did not refund anyone who could not use their epic passes due to state border closures. feel that their advertising was very misleading. thanks.

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Queensland - does anyone have any infromation on refunds of EPIC due to state border closures? all info says we are not covered. any information from anyone much appreciated . in the US vail did not refund anyone who could not use their epic passes due to state border closures. feel that their advertising was very misleading. thanks.
You must be in lockdown for 30 days.

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
I'm sure the Queensland border will stay closed for 30 days, then you apply.

Isn't it as simple as that?

kew1

First Runs
Aug 12, 2021
I'm sure the Queensland border will stay closed for 30 days, then you apply.

Isn't it as simple as that?
no the actual terms and conditions say there must be a stay at home order for 30 days, no coverage for state border closures. but their advertising was misleading, it was saying book with confidence for covid etc and it even said it would cover 'travel restrictions' but the detail in the terms and conditions is extremely limited - 30 day lock down orders only are covered . so only sydney is going to be covered even though our border will end up being shut for months it looks like. was wondering in anyone had any more knowledge than that based on thier experiences. thanks.

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
no the actual terms and conditions say there must be a stay at home order for 30 days, no coverage for state border closures. but their advertising was misleading, it was saying book with confidence for covid etc and it even said it would cover 'travel restrictions' but the detail in the terms and conditions is extremely limited - 30 day lock down orders only are covered . so only sydney is going to be covered even though our border will end up being shut for months it looks like. was wondering in anyone had any more knowledge than that based on thier experiences. thanks.
Page 9 reads as follows.

I would certainly hope that includes a state border closure. It's not in Vail's interest to discriminate against interstate customers.

"Stay-at Home Order. You are unable to use your pass during the applicable Core Season because the municipality, county, state, province, or country in which your Permanent Residence is located is subject to a “quarantine,” “stay-at-home,” “shelter-in-place” or other comparable mandatory governmental order lasting thirty (30) or more consecutive days. Your “Permanent Residence” refers to your fixed, permanent and principal home for legal and tax purposes".

Reactions: GlendaN and kew1

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Page 9 reads as follows.

I would certainly hope that includes a state border closure. It's not in Vail's interest to discriminate against interstate customers.

"Stay-at Home Order. You are unable to use your pass during the applicable Core Season because the municipality, county, state, province, or country in which your Permanent Residence is located is subject to a “quarantine,” “stay-at-home,” “shelter-in-place” or other comparable mandatory governmental order lasting thirty (30) or more consecutive days. Your “Permanent Residence” refers to your fixed, permanent and principal home for legal and tax purposes".
Except, unless they have been to a place of "high concern", Qlders are allowed to travel into NSW, and use their pass.

Reactions: coolair and Aractus

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Yes interesting point. As a Queenslander you could also try using evidence such as your Premier warning people not to travel to NSW.

Reactions: GlendaN and kew1

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra

It is a bit misleading, but saying "book with confidence ..." is just puffery and it would be seen that way in court. Queenslanders can go to the snow for a ski holiday, but they have to go into 14 days of hotel quarantine at their own expense on return. There's no stay-at-home order or equivalent there, it's simply the customer's choice as to whether they want to spend $3K and 14 days in hotel quarantine when they return.

Spare a thought for the employees - Perisher won't be paying for their hotel quarantine when they return either. So lifties, hospitality, cleaners, chefs and cooks, and ski instructors from Qld have to pay their own way on return. They made the choice though to travel and to (potentially) subject themselves to expensive quarantine on return.

The whole idea of the Epics is you pay for a cheap pass and take the risk that you may not be able to use it. "Epic Coverage" is just a refund policy, and they will no doubt stick to the absolute letter of their obligations under it. As I've mentioned before, you do have the choice to take out 3rd-party ski insurance, but by the time you pay that you may not be better off anyway if it's only a pass you're being reimbursed as opposed to an ambulance or helicopter medical trip.

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Do we know for sure that any interstate Epic holders have had refunds rejected?

Gumbo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2000
Wollongong N.S.W
Don’t know why they wouldn’t offer a rollover option.
Got shut down by email when requested if this was possible. “Read our T&C” with a link to it. Yeah love I know I qualify for a refund but would prefer just to roll over and be done with it. I actually want buy your product.

You would also think it would look great on there books no providing a refund at all and just kicking that money down the road into next year.

Reactions: Val Desire

Val Desire

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2018
Lindfield NSW
Someone posted in main Perisher trip report thread that we only have 60 days from when Sydney l.d. announced to claim Epic refund. I don't see the logic of that. If we ticked 'Persher - core season' option, then it should be when that end date has passed, (? Sept 12th) in case it were possible to get a few days late Sept?
I'm a realist and know I won't be travelling to slopes in Sept, but don't know why Vale would expect me to know what Gladys & Kerry claim is still hidden from them - i.e. extension of Sydney & NSW l.d.....

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Queenslanders can go to the snow for a ski holiday, but they have to go into 14 days of hotel quarantine at their own expense on return.
not at the moment they can't, I don't think that will change soon.

Reactions: GlendaN
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass