1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Epic Pass Season 19-20 Credit

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Chalkie, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I just received this from Epic, but I've not read the fine print yet:

"To Address Last Season:
      • Credits from 20% to 80% for Season Pass Holders
        We are providing credits to 2019-20 season pass holders, based on the price of their pass, to apply toward the purchase of a 2020-21 season pass of equal or greater value:
    • A minimum credit of 20% for season pass holders, based on the resort closures in mid-March impacting about 20% of the core season
    • Higher credits for season pass holders who used their pass less than five days
    • A maximum credit of 80% if you did not use your season pass at all, because we recognize that some of you were waiting until spring to use your pass

• Credits for Epic Day Pass, Whistler Blackcomb Edge Card and Multi-Pack Pass Holders
      For guests with remaining days on their 2019-20 Epic Day Pass, Edge Card or one of our other multi-pack pass products, we are providing a credit for each unused day, up to 80% of the price paid for your pass to apply toward a pass of equal or greater value for next season.

• Your credit will be valid through Labor Day (Sept. 7, 2020) because we understand that you may need time to decide on your plans for next season.

This may seem complicated, but something simple would not address all the unique situations of our pass holders. We will email you personally in the coming weeks to share your specific credit details and your promotion code, which you can use online starting May 13. If you renew your pass prior to receiving your promotion code, we will retroactively provide the credit value back to you. In the meantime, you can click here to use the tables to find your pass credit, see our FAQs, and review the terms and conditions.​

Looking Ahead to the 2020-21 Season:
    • New ‘Epic Coverage’ Protects You Next Season
      We are confident we will be enjoying a great upcoming ski and ride season, but we also understand that many pass holders are nervous about the future given the current uncertainty. With this in mind, we are launching ‘Epic Coverage’:
      • Epic Coverage is free for all pass holders and completely replaces the need to purchase pass insurance, which can cost up to $60 for other passes.
      • Epic Coverage provides for a refund if you have an eligible injury, job loss, or experience other personal events that prevent you from using your pass.
      • Epic Coverage also provides a refund for certain resort closures, including for events like COVID-19, giving you a refund for any portion of the season that is lost.
    We understand that times have changed so Epic Coverage completely redefines your pass protection. We value your loyalty and we want you to enjoy your pass knowing that we are standing behind our commitment to your peace of mind. Click here to learn more about Epic Coverage, see our FAQs and review the terms and conditions.​

• Savings All Season Long
      In March, we announced our new Epic Mountain Rewards, providing pass holders 20% off all mountain food & beverage, owned and operated lodging, group ski and ride lessons, equipment rentals and more at our North American resorts. No sign up. No points tracking. No blackout days. Just savings. Learn more about Epic Mountain Rewards here.

1. The Time You Need:
      • Spring Deadlines Extended to Labor Day
        We do not want to rush your decision. We are eliminating our traditional spring purchase deadlines, giving you through Labor Day (Sept. 7, 2020) to use your credit and to lock in 10 Buddy Tickets for next season. If uncertainty continues, we may reassess that deadline again as it gets closer.

• Lowest Up-Front Cost
      If you want to lock in your pass, we want to provide you the lowest up-front cost during this challenging time. Right now the deposit for your pass for next season is only $49, significantly less than the deposit many other passes require. This offer will extend for the next few months.
    My hope is that this plan demonstrates our commitment to honoring your loyalty, with credits of 20%-80% for last season, Epic Coverage for next season, and more time to make a decision. We recognize that some people may ask why we did not provide 100% credits or cash refunds for last season. We capped our credits at 80% because our mountains were open and operating for the majority of the season and our passes could be used during that time. Regarding refunds, we recognize that our passes, and pass insurance, historically have not provided for refunds in situations like this, which is why we are introducing the new Epic Coverage."​

MarzNC, Chop, robbo mcs and 1 other person like this.
  2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Looks good, well better than the big fat nothing previously available. Encouraging people to commit to next season without actually doing any refunds, but also good for customers.

I think the situation here is trickier. It is promising though that they have done something reasonable in north america

Ted Harper likes this.
  3. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Unlikely to apply to Epic Aus.

4. currawong

I'm commenting on attitude to the problem of refunds/credits rather than the specific response in N America

Ted Harper likes this.
  5. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

I wonder how this may impact on the Epic Military Pass. This is a North American product but is valid at Perisher, Hotham and Falls. I hope they don't cancel that and issue a credit unless Australian resorts also close...

6. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Perisher are still planning to open. No point in cancelling everyone's passes and issuing credits if the NSW Government lifts restrictions and allow to open.

7. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Good news on the Epic front

8. currawong

The initial north american response could be interpreted as "suck it up, we aren't going to give you anything to make up for the shortened season". There was some chance that attitude could possibly apply here. This is a whole lot better. If the season here is significantly limited in time, visitor caps or no of lifts, I am now more hopeful that they may give some form of compensation/credit.

Ted Harper likes this.
  9. despot721

despot721 One of Us

I think they'll take a wait and see approach for us, including military epic. Our season hasn't been cancelled yet so no need to cancel passes or jump the gun. Fingers crossed.

10. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I think this page from the web simplifies the offer

11. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

What's interesting is that the email with the credit will be sent on May 13 and is to be used by Sept 7. So how much will it be? Do I get an 80% credit for my 20/21 Military Epicpass and then can use my 19/20 Military Epicpass for as many days as I can get at Perisher?

12. zac150

Correct me if I’m wrong but the US pass include our current season? So wouldn’t the refund be off the 19/20 pass and the 20/21 pass is for next US winter so no credit?

13. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

It's not a refund. It's a credit (discount really) to use for purchasing an equivalent or cheaper pass for the 20/21 season. Can't be used for anything other than purchasing a pass.

MarzNC and Chalkie like this.
  14. zac150

if your suggesting then that you get credit for your 19/20 pass which you could use to buy a 20/21 pass and then get to go crazy on your 19/20 pass, I doubt it.

15. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

That's the thing, the way Vail have described it and the timing doesn't work for Sourhern Hemisphere use of the 19/20 passes. You have until 7 September 20 to purchase a 20/21 epicpass with a credit based on number of days used in the 19/20 Northern Hemisphere season. However, Vail is going to email the amount of credit your entitled to you on 13 May 19.

So if I buy a 20/21 Military epicpass with an 80% discount (based on 0 days skied on pass so far). What happens once I ski in Perisher? Will my 19/20 pass be invalid? Will Vail alter the credit for the 20/21 season and potentially send me a bill if I pay for entire 20/21 pass up front? Something seems odd.

I read all the conditions and FAQ for the credit and there is nothing mentioned about Southern Hemisphere usage of the 19/20 passes. Have emailed Vail to find out what the deal is.

nezumi likes this.
  16. zac150

I would say that the minute you accept the credit, your current pass is voided.

17. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

The credits range from 80% for 0 days used down to 20% for more than 5 days used. So for example would skiing10 days in Australia mean still get the 20% discount? It's almost like the Australian season is regarded as an added freebie bonus for the US (inc. Military) Epicpass.

The only thing that is definitely voided in the conditions for the credit is that by accepting the credit you can't be part of any of the class actions launched against Vail.

Like I said I've emailed Vail to confirm what the story is as there seems to be an absence of detail.

nezumi and currawong like this.
  18. zac150

No I read it as, if you brought your US pass for the 19/20 us season, if you haven’t used it, expecting to use it in Australia for 20 season then you get an 80% credit off 20/21 pass but have no pass for this year. If you write to epic and say no I want to use my pass in Australia then you won’t get a refund.

19. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Initial response from Vail is:

Passes will not be cancelled, we are issuing credits to guests who had 201920 season passes. You are good to go and will receive an email with a promo code for next season’s pass around May 13th.

So question is how much is the credit being recieved and will it account for days used in the Australian season?

MarzNC and nezumi like this.
  20. zac150

I appreciate this may be the response but I just don’t believe Vail will give you a credit toward your current pass then continue to allow you to use it.

I am sure if you were domiciled in the US maybe, but there has to be a catch somewhere.

21. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

I've gone back again to confirm that the 19/20 passes will still be accepted in Australia 2020 season.

22. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

This is the questions I sent to get a clear answer.

Regarding the issue of credits for 20/21 epicpasses. So I know what to pass on to my association members I want to make sure my understanding is correct:

1. 19/20 Military Epicpasses will still be valid for the 2020 Australian season.

2. All Military Epicpass holders will be sent an email with a personalised promo code for use with the 20/21 Epicpass (inc Military Epicpasses) in May.

3. Discount will depend on the number of days skied during North American 19/20 season. Will days skied in the 2020 Australian season also count for determining the discount applied towards 20/21 Military Epicpasses?

Hopefully get a reply soon.

23. zac150

I would have made it clearer that you are domiciled in Australia d the pass has been issued as an ADF member.

im just thinking of the ways their system could separate members

24. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Honestly, how much do you pay for those passes? Fair enough if you don’t get to use them at all, but do you think utilising a loop hole to rip them off is fair? Discounts are factored into the pricing, we all pay for it.

gaz35, coolair and zac150 like this.
  25. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

It's not about ripping them off, I want to make sure my and my family's (along several thousand other ADF members and dependents) passes work if/when we go to Perisher this year.

26. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

The person I'm emailing knows that I'm an ADF member. I was originally given their email address by the Guest Services Manager of Perisher to assist Vail with a website problem that was preventing ADF members renewing passes.

27. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

For anyone who's not as keyed in to these events as the participants in this forum and has a Military Epic Pass, they will be getting an email with a credit that can be applied to their 2020/21 pass purchase. Unless this mentions "Using this code will void the remaining days on your Epic Pass", they can't be expected to *not* use the code before the 2020 Australian season.

28. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure it made news in Australia, but both VR and Alterra were being sued by folks who felt like they deserved something for the fact that COVID-19 cause unusually early closing dates. Fair to say that American Epic passholders were getting antsy about what VR would offer for 2020-21 given that the Ikon plan was announced a couple weeks ago.

Alterra announced yesterday that Windham in NY and Mt. Bachelor in OR will be on Ikon for 2020-21. Windham is very close to Hunter, both drawing from NYC. Hunter is on the Epic Pass.

29. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Got a pretty definitive answer from Vail overnight:

Yes, your 2019/20 season passes are good to go and no action is required. Credits are based on usage in the Northern Hemisphere

Not fussed about the credit(although I won't be saying no to it). Happy my pass will work. Now just need to get all the NSW people to get on top of COVID19 as good as we in the ACT have.

#29 skinavy, May 1, 2020
    Last edited: May 1, 2020
    despot721, zac150, Chalkie and 3 others like this.
  30. asammut_au

asammut_au Hard Yards

Has there been any indication yet on whether any credit will be given to 19/20 epic aus pass holders? Seems a bit unfair if we missed out doesn't it? Tbh I'm not too bothered if I don't get a credit as I got good value from my pass but I know of people who buy the epic aus pass and only use it to ski overseas. What if their first skiing day was planned for after the shutdown?

31. zac150

us epic passes you buy for the US winter and it covers Au, the Aus passes work in reverse, so the US pass if you buy October 2019 you get a credit based on used days and according to above you can still use the pass in Aus.

Aus passes you buy in 2020, now for the US winter 20/21.

so the only ones effected would be those who planned ahead and brought Aus passes for the us 20/21 season and are unlikely to be able to travel.

In this instance you would expect them to travel to Aus instead, assuming we get a season. I would assume epic may offer Aus pass holders a similar offer

32. asammut_au

asammut_au Hard Yards

I'm not sure I understand sorry. Those who bought an epic aus 19/20 pass, never used their pass in aus and planned to travel in late March 2020 to the US would have been affected. That's why I was asking if there has been any news about the epic aus 19/20 pass

33. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Radio silence because the numbers that it applies to are so low.

I expect if you hit up Vail and they could see that you had zero days used, you should be able to get an equivalent discount.

Ted Harper and currawong like this.
  34. zac150

what @nezumi said, there would be very few people who brought Aud pass only to ski the US. I would save hit Vail up with proof an O/S trip was planned and no skier days used then you may have a shot.

I plan to do this at the seasons end, my daughter has passed to both as her school trains at Perisher but we ski Thredbo. As all the racing has been canned her camp etc has been cancelled so she will at most get a few days, most likely 1 or none. I’m not so phased as we have had an awesome run using the passes here and abroad but I will still ask.

35. asammut_au

asammut_au Hard Yards

Ah ok. I see what you both mean now. Yes there would definately be low numbers this would apply to.

36. Byron

Byron Hard Yards

I just received an email with the credit codes for my lift tickets. From the FAQ, its valid until Monday, September 7th, 2020. Haven;t seen anything regarding forfeting the reamining use of youe 19/20 pass for the Southern Hemisphere season. Might have to send them an email...

37. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

See my post above (ppst #29) I explicitly asked that via email and was told they were good to go and the credit was based on Northern Hemisphere usage.

38. rob1928

rob1928 Hard Yards

Credit - $39.80
    Time to make in rain!

39. rob1928

rob1928 Hard Yards

40. ponyrider

ponyrider Addicted

I bought two 'packs' for US 19/20: 4 days at Keystone or Crested and a 4 day that could be used anywhere else (plan was Telluride). Then I busted my ACL & MCL in Japan a week prior to the US, causing me to cancel the trip. I had been planning to claim on travel insurance (haven't lodged yet). Now I've just been refunded 80% as a credit for 20/21 use. BUT I also paid a deposit for Oz Epic for 20/21.

It's possible the ACL will stop me from skiing in 20/21 anyway. So I'm wondering if this credit is even useful at all really.

41. zac150

Based on Epics email today they are going to scrap all passes for 2020 and offer new passes by the 15th of June giving people the option to buy a revised pass or get a refund.

#41 zac150, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Rick Ross Da Boss and Annabuzzy like this.
  42. Aractus

Aractus One of Us

Yep I copied the email contents here for anyone interested. It's welcome news as long as their new pass options are not going to cost more than the Epics! As I mentioned over there I think they're scrapping the Epics because they advertise "pays for itself in 4 days" or something similar and that's only true if you go overseas at the peak of the season, and it's very unlikely any Australians that aren't dual citizens will be allowed to travel for a ski holiday this season!

43. Byron

Byron Hard Yards

If they scrap the Epic Australia passes I wonder if they will honor the full Epic passes purchased from the US.

44. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Emailed Perisher to ask that question regarding the Military Epicpasses.

45. Byron

Byron Hard Yards

Be sure to keep us posted. I've also emailed asking for a clarification on some wording in their T&Cs but have yet to hear back.