EPIC passes and conversions/upgrades

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I must be blind. Where is the info on the $16 upgrade cost?

As I understand it, they will contact all Hero Pass holders directly, because the changeover cost depends on how much you paid for your Hero Pass, what the cost of the Epic Pass was at the time, etc. Not just a simple switch, one price for all.

Reactions: Chaeron

Rick Ross Da Boss

One of Us
Jul 19, 2017
As I understand it, they will contact all Hero Pass holders directly, because the changeover cost depends on how much you paid for your Hero Pass, what the cost of the Epic Pass was at the time, etc. Not just a simple switch, one price for all.
When did you purchase yours?

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne

Rick Ross Da Boss

One of Us
Jul 19, 2017
err, ok, but how and when did the price (of both the Hero and Epic passes) vary by such small amounts? ( e.g. +/- $40 say). I made the upfront payment for 3 Hero Passes last year during the early bird period and paid the outstanding amount in May. I wouldn't have thought there would be that many ways in which people can buy these things
I did the same

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
err, ok, but how and when did the price (of both the Hero and Epic passes) vary by such small amounts? ( e.g. +/- $40 say). I made the upfront payment for 3 Hero Passes last year during the early bird period and paid the outstanding amount in May. I wouldn't have thought there would be that many ways in which people can buy these things

The info is direct from the FAQ on the Epic Pass site: https://www.epicaustraliapass.com.au/passes/falls-creek-and-hotham-faq

Vail said:
I paid more for my Hero Pass than the Epic Australia Pass™. If I convert to the Epic Australia Pass™ will I get a refund?

This will depend on the difference between the price of the Hero pass vs. The Epic Australia Pass™ at the time of purchase. If the price was lower for the Hero Pass at time of purchase, your credit card on file will be charged an upgrade fee to convert to the Epic Australia Pass™, if the price was higher, your credit card on file will be refunded the difference. In the week commencing Monday 6 May we will be progressively contacting all fully paid Hero Pass holders via email with the specific instructions for converting your Hero Pass into an Epic Australia Pass™. Please note that access at Hotham on the Epic Australia Pass™ is pending certain approvals.

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne

Thanks nezumi, but the FAQ doesn't help with my question. I'm just curious as to why the price can vary. We aren't talking about exchange rate variations, the price of these items should be basically the same for everyone(?). Yes, the price is significantly different if you purchase a pass now compared to October last year. But we have at least 3 different changeover prices here and I was wondering what were the reasons

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Thanks nezumi, but the FAQ doesn't help with my question. I'm just curious as to why the price can vary. We aren't talking about exchange rate variations, the price of these items should be basically the same for everyone(?). Yes, the price is significantly different if you purchase a pass now compared to October last year. But we have at least 3 different changeover prices here and I was wondering what were the reasons

I know that the Epic Pass price has varied significantly from the inital release (~$799) to now ($909), while the initial Hero Pass price was also $799 and then moved to $1,199. There's probably a degree of arbitrage at play here, as well as some form of agreement between Vail and Merlin around the transfer of benefits/funds/etc.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
I got a free 5 day pass at Hakuba
nothing else matters
This is not as good value as what it seems....
You can get 5 days at Hakuba (different mountain each day), for the price of two one day tickets in Australia. ;)
i.e. Pay for flights & accom for the Aussie value of two one day lift tickets

FatBoyDave

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2013
Melbourne
$20 is a no brainer. That’s about the price of a pie and a can of coke on the hill.
Waiting to see what the actual conversion fee is for my Hotham Hero pass, but if that’s all it is will definitely consider upgrading.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Same. Still undecided. Looking at benefits we may miss out on with Hero Pass vs whether we may get to ride at the other resorts

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
No brainer for me (nothing to convert) already got flights and accom booked for a hotham girls weekend!

Reactions: Sadie

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
6 of one, half a dozen of the other for us. Don't usually use the free tickets but not that likely to ski Perisher or os this year.

Young Angus

One of Us
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
I'm torn too, I'll definitely use the free tickets at Hotham or Falls this year and might...MIGHT...go to the other resorts but maybe not. Even if I do make it overseas, how much are lift tickets in Japan and Whistler compared to here anyway? Would it even be worth it or are they a fair bit cheaper anyway compared to our lift tickets here in Aus?

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
6 of one, half a dozen of the other for us. Don't usually use the free tickets but not that likely to ski Perisher or os this year.

Hmmm, I think I need to make friends with a few Hero Pass holders (my shout at the bar?) to get a day at the snow in before I head to Perisher! :D

I’ll pay $70 for your extra lift tix ;)

Oi! :p:D

Reactions: Rick Ross Da Boss

Young Angus

One of Us
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
where to you normally ski and what do you like most about it, least about it

Hmm well I've only skied at Hotham and Buller and I really loved both. Can't say I disliked much about either, I've only really been skiing for a couple of seasons so I don't know if I'm qualified to comment. I still have a lot to do to properly wear out Hotham and I've never even been to Falls so I have plenty of terrain to cover, I just figured Perisher always looks great in photos it must be a fantastic place too...and I love it over that side of the world near Jindabyne and Moonbah but it is a long way from Melbourne.

I think I've probably got more than enough to keep me busy this season between Falls and Hotham, although the snow cams at Perisher are looking much MUCH better than the VIC resorts right now :(

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Hmm well I've only skied at Hotham and Buller and I really loved both. Can't say I disliked much about either, I've only really been skiing for a couple of seasons so I don't know if I'm qualified to comment. I still have a lot to do to properly wear out Hotham and I've never even been to Falls so I have plenty of terrain to cover, I just figured Perisher always looks great in photos it must be a fantastic place too...and I love it over that side of the world near Jindabyne and Moonbah but it is a long way from Melbourne.

I think I've probably got more than enough to keep me busy this season between Falls and Hotham, although the snow cams at Perisher are looking much MUCH better than the VIC resorts right now :(
I'm not a perisher skier so my comments are fairly shallow, but here are my thoughts anyway.
Perisher is higher altitude so they get more reliable early and late snow. The lifted area is also on a different scale to the Vic resorts.
I complain about Hotham day parking but I think Perisher is a whole new level of inconvenient. You can make it easier by using the tube but that's more expensive and a pain in it's own way. The road to Perisher may be easier than Hotham, but the traffic is far worse. I think the vibe is more crowded and impersonal - more Buller than Hotham.
I think skiing everywhere you can, at least occasionally, is great. My attempts to ski Perisher have not come off well but I'm keen to try again. I very much doubt that it would become my favourite but it will be great to do anyway. When I go again I will probably stay on snow at a club lodge.

Reactions: nezumi

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
I swear its a lot to do with what you are used too.

Hotham is painful for parking, Perisher if you are early you can get rock star parking. You can get rock star parking later too, you just have to know where to go/look.

Personally I don't think viewing it as "is it worth driving all that way" I have a Epic pass and a Mountain Collective pass this season, time (ie free weekends) is more of a consideration than, is it worth it. I also want to ski at every resort in Aus.

I love the skiing community and i have friends at every resort. Can't go wrong with skiing any of them then!

Young Angus

One of Us
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
Well you fellas sound like some good eggs, and I'm keen to make friends at the resorts in particular Hotham because I'll probably be heading up there on my own a fair bit this season because while I want to ski my guts out and get the most out of my Hero Pass, I'm not sure others may share all that enthusiasm or will want to pay day pass rates...they are even more expensive than last year!

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Well you fellas sound like some good eggs, and I'm keen to make friends at the resorts in particular Hotham because I'll probably be heading up there on my own a fair bit this season because while I want to ski my guts out and get the most out of my Hero Pass, I'm not sure others may share all that enthusiasm or will want to pay day pass rates...they are even more expensive than last year!
I'm there the 11th and 12th of July. I actually need a lift from albury!

Shrike

Addicted
Jan 1, 2018
SE Melbourne

My friend Mark and I also have season passes and will be heading up most weekends once the snow is better, happy to meet up with people and do laps :) we both Board but Mark also has skis

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass