1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Epic Ski Adventures - still in business?

Discussion in 'Japan' started by iGlenn, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I don't think you could sue them in Japan...

2. Pat42

Pat42 One of Us

no idea of the legal rules in japan

if a foreign entity operates in Australia you would be able to sue them for negligence etc here

need a PI lawyer

3. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

I spoke to a few of them today, they were aware of the deaths but assured me it was a freak accident......
    Avy report says no.

4. PerthBoarder

PerthBoarder Hard Yards

are these guys still putting their clients at risk with their blatant disregard for safety?

Freak and tragic accident yes, but there were contributing factors in my opinion

5. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

Not freak at all. Completely predictable and preventable.

6. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Id be cautious about that sort of statement @BobGnarly . Not defending them but I wasn't there. In general, avi warnings are scaled and avalanches are never completely predictable. Does the avi warning for the day still exist for that area? If so, what did it say?

7. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

Its a personal statement based on my personal experience on that day and the days leading up to it.
    There was a very bad crust. The new snow did not even remotely stick to it.
    Any idiot could have kicked a pile of snow in the carpark and known it was super dangerous that day.
    He chose to take them into avalanche terrain and send them down as human slope testers and they both died.
    I stand by my comment.

8. Donza

Donza Pool Room

what are the guides qualifications ?

9. expatgm

expatgm Addicted

In the case of epic ski - zero

#59 expatgm, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    BobGnarly likes this.
  10. Donza

Donza Pool Room

poignant .

11. UkSkier

UkSkier First Runs

I'm one of the British Skiers who was in the group that was caught in the slide. I posted the warning on Snowheads that's referred to earlier in the thread.

It wasn't a freak accident and was preventable with a bit more consideration to the risk factors.

On the way to the area there were obvious signs, cracks in the snowpack and sluffing in the trees.

When we arrived at the top of the slope the "guide" did his risk assessment. He clearly wasn't that happy and advised that we ski down either the left or right sides of the slope.

My mate and I weren't happy with the advice. (we'd had previous experience in off piste and assessing risk).

We considered our options and both decided to ski in the trees planning a higher line rather than on the main slope. We assessed that if the slope went it would funnel snow / people down into the trees from left to right. The Australian couple with us decided to do the same as us. Unfortunately the other two were in front of us and not part of the discussion and just followed the guides advice without question.

They set off one after each other down the right side of the slope. When it went the snow chased them down and took them into the trees, just as we had predicted.

Mike Pow and Draizuh like this.
  12. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks for sharing this with us. The more people know about these incidents the better.

The really important point you have made is that ultimately we are responsible for for our own safety even when being guided by someone else.

There was an incident at Togari Onsen last season. I had thought 1 ski patroller had died but I have a guest who says it was more. When I have a little more time I will be posting about this.

13. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

It was one patroller and another one (my friend) was also caught up but survived. They were trying to manually set off an avalanche before lifts opened and it slipped away from them.

14. PerthBoarder

PerthBoarder Hard Yards

WARNING: Epic ski adventures are now trading under the name Japan Powder Culture Tours.