Separate names with a comma.
We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.
NOTE: This notice may be closed.
Discussion in 'Perisher' started by coolair, Mar 27, 2020.
Just sent an email from vail resorts, sounds ok to me, trying their best to open.
I heard that they’re going to wait until as late as 1 June to announce the season of thing are looking touch and go. Delayed payment to this date aligns with this chatter I’ve heard.
Yep, here's the email:
They've done the same as Thredbo - pushed the due date on the season passes to 1 June.
Also they've put this update on their website.
I haven't seen the email yet...
But I bet it includes statements like
"The health of our staff is paramount"
My gut feel.
No epic pass this year.
Resort to open for spring skiing. Minimal lifts.
Spring pass pricing to reflect this.
Option for epic pass deposit payers
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service:
In response to tighter Australian and NSW Government health directives on social distancing and non-essential travel to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) is putting in place important measures for the health and safety of our staff, visitors and the wider community that we need to let you know about.
This is a rapidly changing situation, so please check our COVID-19 update page regularly for updates and answers to frequently asked questions.
From 26 March 2020 until further notice, the following are closed in NSW national parks:
All camping and campgrounds, in line with the Government Public Health Order. Cabins within campgrounds are also closed. NPWS will be contacting visitors with bookings affected by closures and issuing refunds.
Most visitor centres, cafes and high visitation areas. For more information on impacted areas please visit our COVID-19 update page and the NPWS Alerts page.
All NPWS staff and volunteer-led tours and events in NSW national parks have been cancelled with full refunds.
National parks and reserves are special environmental, cultural and recreational places for the people of NSW, and those that did not suffer damage from the recent bushfires or floods will remain open. The following are open in NSW national parks:
All roads through national parks remain open.
Most walking tracks and trails remain open for exercise and visitors should observe social distancing with others. However, in line with the Australian and NSW Government health directives, visitors are encouraged to limit their visits to open natural areas near their homes.
Cottages and other accommodation that can be operated within restrictions established by the Australian and NSW Government will remain open. Visitors with a booking who need to cancel can contact NPWS for a refund.
In these open areas of NSW national parks there is a:
Limit of 500 people in a single, undivided outdoor space at the same time.
Limit of 100 people and a requirement for 4 square metres per person (i.e. a 100 square metre space can accommodate a maximum of 25 people) in a single, undivided indoor space at the same time.
Requirement that visitors maintain a distance of 1.5 metres between themselves and others while using walking tracks and other facilities.
For more information about COVID-19 in NSW and how to protect yourself and the community, please visit the NSW Health website.
These are unprecedented and uncertain times, but we’ll be back in touch soon to help you stay connected to nature.
COVID-19 updates >
Dislike. Camping spots are not close (as a rule) so not sure why they want to stop people isolating themselves in the middle of the bush???? There appear to be trigger-happy decision makers all wanting to get in on the action. I hope the parkies stand themselves down without pay like the rest of us in the real world have to; including the senior managers? If they seriously think people camping in the bush will make the situation worse (whilst visits to the local shopping centres are open slather), then lock the country down for a few weeks until they can isolate existing carriers to prevent spread. I would like to go bush for the isolation rather than sitting in a city where it is impossible not to contact others.
I guess they would like to reduce this homeless situation in the parks.
Probably because it wouldn't be just a few, there would be a lot, they'd funnel through particular places to get there, and if they did end up needing medical assistance (or rescue) they'd require more resources than available in those locations.
It won't be possible to stop the spread, it's only delaying and managing the spread and consequences that might be possible.
For the Victorian Epic resorts they are currently planning for the following scenarios:
Delayed start 1st July.
Can we please make sure we keep the Perisher threads fun and informative and leave the doomsdayers, let me tell you a lot about something I know nothing about and idiots in the Covid-19 threads, just saying before it’s too late, please.
And I’m not replying to your post Timmossy, just happens to be the next post
There's nothing more pertinent to the thread title, ie epic update, than what vail is doing about epic passes and the season in general
In Myrtleford a few days ago a group of people stopped for petrol and announced that they were in self isolation and were going to Mt. Hotham. No cases in our area yet but it shows why the local shire is working hard to stop tourism in the area despite the financial cost.
There's a new update. Perisher will no longer take the payment for the balance of the Epic Aust. Pass on 1 June, customers will be allowed to request a refund for all payments made towards it, and new season pass options will be offered at a later date (and you can cancel the Epic Aust. Pass and switch if you want to). Here's the email as it appears in my inbox:
The Epic Aust Pass website has also been updated. It's all very welcome information. Reading between the lines it sounds to me like they're going to cancel the Epic Australia Pass entirely - this is very likely because they advertise heavily the overseas usages of it (i.e. "pays for itself in 4 days") - and they will replace it with multiple other options, although it's not exactly clear yet what those options will look like.
Head over to the Covid thread sections, has been discussed in great lengths over there
That's nice to know. I've heard nothing from Perisher.
And here we have it:
So in summary: no bring-a-mate discounts this year, no skitube addon, pass holders must book ahead online until the 12th of July, and "Epic Coverage" replaces "Pass Refund Protection" and will be included with all Epic Australia passes. Anyone who purchased Pass Refund Protection or the Skitube Addon will have those payments refunded. Anyone who doesn't want to accept the new terms has until the 19th of June to request a refund.
Oh, and, you can still buy the Epic Australia Pass, and it still covers all Vail resorts in Australia.
All credit to Vail - I think they’ve got this right.
Staying with the Epic Pass and very happy with their nuanced response - Buller led the way here I think, Thredbo might need to rethink...
I can see a lot of previous thredbo season pass holders skiing epic this year with the a few discounted day trips at thredbo
So it is the same price, minus the bring a mate passes?. I think it is good you get the protection, but if you only ski 4+ days and can’t get to North America to ski or you don’t feel like being infected, you don’t get much money back.
The previous correspondence made me think they were going to bring serious options like a discounted weekday only pass; that is an effective way to reduce numbers on the hill. Not giving the bring a mate passes appears directed at people who may have considered canceling some of their epics, rather than limiting numbers (which are capped anyway).
For me, the lack of a ski tube add on option is a big problem. I understand why they need to limit it.
My family are never up early on the hill and usually stay near ski tube. Not super excited about driving to Perisher, and maybe finding a park. Nor is the idea of booking specific skitube at a horrendous daily rate particularly enticing.
Overall, I think the package seems like a reasonable response but I think my family will not be skiing this year.
@BrindiCruiser, you should write to Perisher. With a little bit of luck they will make the price reasonable for pass holders, but yeah they do need to clarify ahead of time that's for sure.
I am not sure if this question has been covered.. reading the update from Perisher I wonder what happens if certain dates are booked out between 15th and 23rd and the pass holders cannot make a reservation on these dates anymore? Quite unfair and unreasonable if this is the case. Does anyone have some insights on this?
If you are talking the 15th of July - there is no need to book in with an Epic pass
They don't want to miss out on the business of the one week a year families who come in school holidays. They figure season pass holders will still come at other times. Buller and Thredbo have had different approaches to the same problem. All are trying to maximise the income from the busiest weeks of the year. For the Vail resorts, season pass holders who want to ski in school holidays are potentially the biggest losers. Thredbo season pass holders have not faired any better. I suspect that a higher proportion of Buller's school holiday skiers hold season passes
I mean 15th of June
I believe from reading that there are going to be seperate epic only tickets for reseravation for this time.
"Availability of lift tickets and pass holder reservations from resort opening to 12 July will be carefully managed to provide access to both groups, ensuring a designated level of access for pass holders".
Will have some tickets available for us
Season at Perisher doesn’t exist from the 15th of June.
Ah. You talking buying tickets !!! I see.
i seem to have read that there is a reserved allocation for season pass holders, plus i think someone else on the forum mentioned it also.
but after looking again recently i cant find it anywhere.
considering that almost all of thredbo sold out in 6 hours, im rather concerned that season pass holders cant purchase tickets for a whole 8 days later!
assuming we miss out, if you read about some ***hole hiking front valley without a pass and flipping ski patrol off, then you can assume that its me.
Here you go
so because season pass holders cant book until 23rd, it seems season pass holders have basically no chance at reserving tickets.
For those with Mil Epic pass, I received an email from Vail asking me to "enrol" my passes for this season. Pretty simple process via the store and received confirmation email. Posting this as some people I know didn't see the email as it went straight to "junk" folder.
Hi all, I purchased resort access for Hotham via alpine easy for 14th and 15th July. As well as the usual requirement for car rego number you now have to specify how many passengers, and their names and phone numbers. Can't remember the exact wording but you are also required to tick a box stating you don't have an excessive temperature, no contact with Covid positive people, no overseas travel etc.
Not much point getting that info 3 1/2 weeks before travel. I hope there is a requirement to confirm much closer to the date
Not sure if I will be prompted closer to the date.
don't forget to set epic cover preferences
Have you seen where to do this yet? The payment hasn't been drawn from my bank acct for the Epic Pass yet, but I also can't see anything about Epic Coverage preferences.
payment to be taken today I think
Pass holders will be able to make adjustments to their preferences through their “My Account” online at epicaustraliapass.com.au, starting 23 June, 2020. All pass holders will be defaulted to “Core Season Visit” and “All Resorts Australia & Northern Hemisphere” coverage preferences unless adjusted in “My Account” section of epicaustraliapass.com.au by the earlier of the first time you use your pass, or on or before 12 July, 2020. We will email pass holders reminders to update their preferences. You will still have Epic Coverage if you leave the default preferences, but the nature and extent of coverage and resulting refund might not be best suited to your needs.
They still haven't taken payment for the holidays I purchased last week.
I'm not sure they will have much luck doing them all at once (it's usually done over a few days)
This is going to be a cluster**** IMO
Taking payments and opening bookings
Yes they are certainly cutting things fine.
I have only received one text. It makes me ner Vos nothing has gone through.
They haven't taken the remaining balance yet, anyone?
oh no. i think they just delayed opening of hotham and falls until June 29. but its not announced anywhere!
They haven’t taken out the remaining EAP balance for me yet either. Wonder what is going on??
They have never processed them all on the one date.
just making us all anxious about being able to book days tomorrow!
Money taken from my account for EAP.