Europe 2010 - 2011 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews Thread

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Sure it may snow, but what's the stability going to be like? That's my main concern at the moment.

I get there at the end of the month, March is a 50/50 kind of month, you can get pow or spring skiing. Obviously I'd prefer pow but nice touring weather and corn skiing wouldn't be all bad. But I'm doubtful if I will get to play in the steeps, especially if it does snow.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
current view from my balcony. Val d
06022011189.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

tbnext

One of Us
Mar 3, 2008
The French/it/swiss/austrian alps sure are always picturesque. Enjoy anyway, powder is always a lucky dip. Cover should be skied and enjoyed.

Legion

One of Us
Feb 23, 2005
CarveMan said:
Sure it may snow, but what's the stability going to be like? That's my main concern at the moment.
If it stays warm and then snows, it might stick to the current melted stuff. The warm is obviously good for N aspects, where there's an awful lot of sugar right now, but not enough snow to be too dangerous. It's pretty much sugar with a variable thickness soft slab on top, depending on wind deposit. I set off a small sluffy slab (not thick enough to call it a slab although strictly speaking it was) last week on a steep N face and it was only 10-15cm down to rock. However, two people somehow fatally buried themselves in the next main valley across a day later. So anyway, warm weather might help those N faces consolidate a bit.

Parapenting and speed flying are the activities of choice at the moment. Yesterday at one stage there were 19 in the air at one time.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
yes. As from my pics on piste cover is still very good in zermatt. Not fresh snow a bit like snow back home. . . Dumping in Colorado. . .

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
epic day in val. Finished the day at la follie. Very epic. Photos to come

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
Yes, this thread needs livening up with more photos. The snow will arrive soon.

Engelberg. PITA rotating gondola (don't rest your skis against the window - they will soon be on the floor).
But it accesses the Steinberg Glacier which has some excellent terrain if you know where to go. I didn't. Guide did.
Engelberg0041.jpg

BTW, Titlis t-shirts are non-existent. Sure, the Swiss aren't known for their humour, but if a place like Beaver Liquors (in Beaver Creek) can have 50 t-shirts celebrating their name, then just a plain t-shirt with 'Titlis' isn't too much to ask. An ideal gift for some.

Looks ok from the top. We had 50cm of new snow when we arrived. Very lucky. Engelberg is the town at the bottom about 5000 ft below.
eng3.jpg

eng2.jpg

Chunky, difficult to see from the top.
eng1.jpg

Igloo bar about 3/4 of the way down, sitting on a frozen lake. Traversing across the lake after these runs got old quickly, even after a warp speed runout. Glacier and gondola are at the top, in the middle.
eng4.jpg

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
Zeroz said:
but if a place like Beaver Liquors (in Beaver Creek) can have 50 t-shirts celebrating their name,

Does it include a photo !

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Zeroz said:
Engelberg. PITA rotating gondola (don't rest your skis against the window - they will soon be on the floor).
But it accesses the Steinberg Glacier which has some excellent terrain if you know where to go. I didn't. Guide did.

Looks ok from the top. We had 50cm of new snow when we arrived. Very lucky. Engelberg is the town at the bottom about 5000 ft below.

Chunky, difficult to see from the top.

Igloo bar about 3/4 of the way down, sitting on a frozen lake. Traversing across the lake after these runs got old quickly, even after a warp speed runout. Glacier and gondola are at the top, in the middle.

Yeah, the novetly of the Rotating gondola wears off pretty quickly after the first couple of times. In spring when I went skiers were vastly outnumbered by Indian & Chinese tourists so there were always plenty of first timer oohs and aahs etc.

Glacier ice in the middle of a ski area just seems so typically European. Couldn't imagine that on a US field without a huge amount of fencing / warnings etc.

The run down from the top area of Titlis to the Stand area could get pretty sketchy at times.

Igloo bar wasn't there when I went. Newish or maybe it just doesn't last through to srping.

The lake is a very large flat area. Don't want to get stuck there.

markopolo

Naughty Corner Resident
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2005
Caloundra
Val Thorens badly needs new snow, BUT, there is a ton of places to find a nice slide, especially before lunch. The scenery is spectacular! may be pics tomorrow !

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
08022011221.jpg
another bluebird day in val. . Snow is still nice but a few areas of grass or rocks starting to poke through the groomed areas. Val is just huge its very epic. With fresh it would be heaven on earth. The amount of off piste available here is insane,

Dusty B

One of Us
Jun 29, 2006
Shire
Hey skidown, how is the off-piste holding up at val d? Still good or just hanging on the groom until new snow?

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
skidown said:
Zeroz said:
skidown said:
06022011189.jpg

Are you over in Le Fornet?
nah right in the centre of val. Overlooking the ice rink towards the lifts too.

Ah. You are staying at the Christiania and that's the Solaise chairlift.

How are you enjoying the 1km final run home down the ice of the Bellevarde Face? This usually tops any survey of "Things We Hate About Val d'Isere".

surfie_guy1

One of Us
Sep 16, 2004
Perth
Just off to the airport now.

Will be in Chamonix from the 12th to 19th of Feb and in Murren, Switzerland, from the 19th to the 25th.

If anyone is in the vicinity, send me a PM on here and we'll hook up for a ski

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Dusty B said:
Hey skidown, how is the off-piste holding up at val d? Still good or just hanging on the groom until new snow?
holding up very well. Had a play today off piste and was ok but needs snow. Still fun to be had. Snow forecast next week possibly heavy. Time will tell if it actually happens

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Zeroz said:
skidown said:
Zeroz said:
skidown said:
06022011189.jpg

Are you over in Le Fornet?
nah right in the centre of val. Overlooking the ice rink towards the lifts too.

Ah. You are staying at the Christiania and that's the Solaise chairlift.

How are you enjoying the 1km final run home down the ice of the Bellevarde Face? This usually tops any survey of "Things We Hate About Val d'Isere".
yep that is the hotel. Did the run home once but now its the nice big gondola with seats or downloading on the chair. As carveman said not worth ruining a great day with a crap run home. This place. val. Rocks. Huge everything. Will probably be back next year now!

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Glad you are enjoying Val!

Like Chamonix, I am sure that Zermatt was a lot more dramatic, but overall I reckon Val has it all.

My last 'run' of my trip was downloading the Bellevarde, which we did most days that we were skiing over in that direction.

When I first went to Val in the mid '90s one of the scariest runs I had ever done was down to La Daille at the end of the day.

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Never mind, just watched on youtube.
It's weird.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
snow still forecast for much of Europe for next week. After i leave of course.

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Nice MP.
My friend in StAnton is telling me that more snow is needed. Looks ok there?

markopolo

Naughty Corner Resident
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2005
Caloundra
lots of school kids today !!!
only did a half day, reports are good for the next few days!!
P1010375.jpg

P1010376.jpg

surfie_guy1

One of Us
Sep 16, 2004
Perth
Looks OK MP!

First day skiing in Chamonix today. Was really quiet, considering it was Sunday.

Snow is good on piste, but down low gets a bit slushy...off piste is non existant. Can't ski all the way down, have to download from midstations. Need a heap of snow here. Apparently it hasn't snowed for 5 weeks. WTF.

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
CarveMan said:
Snow coming this week.

The forecast shows only a few inches at best. Hope its more than that.

Legion

One of Us
Feb 23, 2005
TOFF said:
My friend in StAnton is telling me that more snow is needed. Looks ok there?

surfie_guy1 said:
Looks OK MP!

Looks super bare to me, especially the south faces, especially lower down. I've left now, but our south faces were corn. North faces up high held good snow, but it was getting thin and you had to be willing to hike to get untracked snow. I'll be interested to see how well the new snow bonds and how the season progresses.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Italy could be ok this week.

29888a39e5810f08.jpg

legend_snowforecast_zamg.png

TOFF

Your face is my case