Europe 2010 - 2011 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews Thread

markopolo

Naughty Corner Resident
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2005
Caloundra
Cloudy morning but started snowing at lunchtime and hasnt stopped. Not much fun after bluebird days for 8 days. ( yeah I know never happy !
wink.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Dusty B

One of Us
Jun 29, 2006
Shire
Chester said:
snowing in france

Much Chester? Getting nervous for some more snow between now and when I get there, 26th. (going to val d'isere, first time in Northern Hemisphere)

How's the long forecast looking?

MP, pics are sensational. Hot stuff!

Dusty B

One of Us
Jun 29, 2006
Shire
Thanks CM,

One last stupid question, I have ordered a new jacket from my local ski shop, but alas, it appears that the supplier has let the shop down and there is an extremely high chance that the jacket just ain't coming. So this means that I will pick one up when I get Os. Trip wise, I have a 2 days in amsterdam/hague before flying to Geneva to head to Val d.

I am guessing there is heaps of ski shops in Val d, but price wise are they reasonable? Or would I better off sourcing something here, or is it something that I can pick up decently in Amsterdam?

Sorry for the million quesions but with next to no international travel under my belt, I am conscience of not screwing up and paying a ridiculous amount of money in Val d when I could have avoided it.

Cheers,
Dusty

tbnext

One of Us
Mar 3, 2008
Its a number of years since I have been at Val but I still remember it fondly as "the most expensive place on the planet". The AUD/EUR did suck when I was there.

I would most definitely check Amsterdam which I also remember as being one of the cheapest places in Europe. However I never looked for ski gear, but they had literally everything else. I went MENTAL in the markets.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
tbnext is right that Val is expensive, but we're getting to the time of year that stuff starts to go on sale so you could be lucky.

Expensive just means RRP so it's not like you are going to get ripped off, but also consider the fact that there are a number of excellent ski stores in town which means the range is fantastic.

I'm waiting until I get to Cham to pick up a soft shell and a couple of other bits and pieces. I may not necessarily get a great deal but it will be good to see the range available.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Chester

One of Us
Jul 2, 2007
CarveMan said:
I'm waiting until I get to Cham to pick up a soft shell and a couple of other bits and pieces. I may not necessarily get a great deal but it will be good to see the range available.

http://www.millet.fr/france/

you may have already seen this brand. they're french and their products are very high quality ... jackets, technical wear and soft shells. they're certainly not cheap but if you were to find something on sale it would be a very good pick up.

Chester

One of Us
Jul 2, 2007
'H' Jones said:
lovely view MP, loving the pics, painful as they are !

not a heap, and certainly less than what we're used to getting at this time of the year, but enough to put a smile on my face. found some pretty good stuff up high but visibility was hit and miss as clouds and weather drifted across. can't complain though as i guess i wouldn't have been the only one riding it had the visibility been better.

more snow on the way over the next week or so.

markopolo

Naughty Corner Resident
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2005
Caloundra
The Aussie peso exchange rate is your friend! The prices in the the shops at Val Thorens are not ridiculous! More snow today, I reckon about 15 Cms up high.

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
CarveMan said:

I get to Cham lunch time on 20 March and start skiing the following morning. Can't seem to get into my ski pants so hopefully can pick up some quality gear in a sale. Seem to have been in a growing spurt over christmas/new year, funny about that !

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Summit said:
Can't seem to get into my ski pants so hopefully can pick up some quality gear in a sale. Seem to have been in a growing spurt over christmas/new year, funny about that !

There is an alternative to that, but I guess buying a new pair is the easy option.

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
Heinz said:
Summit said:
Can't seem to get into my ski pants so hopefully can pick up some quality gear in a sale. Seem to have been in a growing spurt over christmas/new year, funny about that !

There is an alternative to that, but I guess buying a new pair is the easy option.

Actually, I am taking the hard option and exercising in 36 degrees at 6pm last night was definitely the hard option !

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
Dusty B said:
Thanks CM,

One last stupid question, I have ordered a new jacket from my local ski shop, but alas, it appears that the supplier has let the shop down and there is an extremely high chance that the jacket just ain't coming. So this means that I will pick one up when I get Os. Trip wise, I have a 2 days in amsterdam/hague before flying to Geneva to head to Val d.

I am guessing there is heaps of ski shops in Val d, but price wise are they reasonable? Or would I better off sourcing something here, or is it something that I can pick up decently in Amsterdam?

Sorry for the million questions but with next to no international travel under my belt, I am conscience of not screwing up and paying a ridiculous amount of money in Val d when I could have avoided it.
I bought a jacket in Val d'Isere a few weeks ago. I had my previous one for 12 years so I am not exactly a frequent shopper, but there was a good selection and prices are ok with the current aud/euro ex.rate.

My tip - when at the cash register and they ask "are you a member of the British Ski Club?" you may want to say 'yes'.
It's 10% off the price. The Club has deals with many of the shops in Val (being a Brit favourite) and apparently we all sound alike to the French.

Dusty B

One of Us
Jun 29, 2006
Shire
Thanks heaps, well crisis averted as the jacket showed up today, so got that. But I will in the market for new goggles, so I might wait to get to Val to see what is around there.

surfie_guy1

One of Us
Sep 16, 2004
Perth
Bit of snow in Cham over the past few days. Snow down to the village on Tuesday afternoon, but didn't last long. A little bit of snow yesterday higher up. Absoultely puking in Italy though, skied Courmayeur yesterday, boot to knee deep fresh snow and no one there, and the snow kept falling all day long. Visibility wasn't too bad either so it was a fantastic day. Was still snowing as the bus entered the Mont Blanc tunnel, but when we emerged in Cham...nothing...dry as a bone
frown.gif

JackDarcy

First Runs
Oct 6, 2010
CarveMan said:
It's more about the Paris holidays. That's the one that makes a mess.
Thank you for the insightful information in interesting link.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
2 weeks today until I fly.
SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW

markopolo

Naughty Corner Resident
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2005
Caloundra
Last day today, a very good one ! no one on the slopes, clear blue skies and good company. 13 days of skiing and I am stuffed !! But good stuffed.
wink.gif

now to start planning the next one.

rpmjunky

First Runs
Jun 8, 2005
adelaide
forecast looking a little better for snow this week. quite a bit of cover gone here in the portes du soleil though. piste up higher still quite good but high traffic areas really suffering.

surfie_guy1

One of Us
Sep 16, 2004
Perth
Just arrived in Murren. Snow in the village at least, but not much.

Had an AWESOME day yesterday, did the Vallee Blanche in Chamonix. Even with the lack of snow it was amazing. Cannot wait to get back to France to ski again, loved it and suprisingly loved the people, they were all very friendly. Swiss being grumpy so far..

Dusty B

One of Us
Jun 29, 2006
Shire
CM.... "So I was just chatting with my bud Seth, you know Seth Morrison, anyhow...."

Top work CM,
beer.gif

This time next week I will be fast asleep in Holland, dreaming of my trip to Val d'isere in the morning. I can't wait.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
i will be back to Europe in 2012 now. Too epic to miss. One week in either Japan or usa/Canada and then two weeks in Europe. Epic

'H' Jones

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2008
skidown said:
i will be back to Europe in 2012 now. Too epic to miss. One week in either Japan or usa/Canada and then two weeks in Europe. Epic

Told you that you would love it
wink.gif

How did you find the 2 resorts ?

piolet

Better make it three
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
skidown said:

thats the spirit! If all goes to plan I'll be in cham for a good chunk of the season
biggrin.gif

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Thanks for the pics Markopolo. The cover definitely looks thinner than when we where there in 2008(early Feb), Les Menuires must of been thin down low.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
skidown said:

Nice, glad you enjoyed it even when there was a pretty decent snow drought.

Europe's not the be all end all, but if you're after the kind of experience it offers then you can have a really good time. Between North America, Japan & Europe you've got some pretty diverse offerings so once you know what you're after and where you can find it, life is good!

markopolo

Naughty Corner Resident
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2005
Caloundra
Born2ski said:
Thanks for the pics Markopolo. The cover definitely looks thinner than when we where there in 2008(early Feb), Les Menuires must of been thin down low.
They did a damn fine job of keeping everywhere connected ! The Marmots had started to stir.
laugh.gif

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Two comparison pics:

Markopolo's pic this year.
P1010407.jpg

Mine in early Feb 2008.
PIC_0105_1-1.jpg

You can really notice the difference if you look towards the left side of the village.

Chester

One of Us
Jul 2, 2007
hi all. it's not too bad in my neck of the woods. it has snowed on and off over the past week so the off piste conditions up high have been pretty decent. today we had sunshine, colder temperatures with pretty sweet shin to knee deep powder in the higher bowls and all the way down through some of the forests.

the forecast is for progressively colder temperatures over the next week with more snow predicted for tomorrow and then again on saturday, sunday and monday. happy days ... finally!

if anyone is holidaying in france (now or in the not too distant future) and isn't 'fixed' in their travel plans then it may be worth considering a 'little' trip to the haute maurienne. don't know what the conditions are like in the rest of france but apparently a few resorts in italy (bordering france) are epic at the moment.

surfie_guy1

One of Us
Sep 16, 2004
Perth
Courmayuer was fantastic when I skied it just over a week ago now.

Brilliant day here in Murren/Wengen. Finally some clear skies after 3 days of snow. As chester said, boot to knee deep snow off piste. The trails are in a great condition now too.

Went up to Jungfraujoch today to have a look, amazing place and views. The Suisse Luftwaffe was also hooking around all day. Would be an awesome job flying an F18 around the alps! Luckily they weren't aiming at any cable cars today.

Last day skiing tomorrow then home to work. Will get around to putting up some photos at some stage, right now it's too much hard work with a dodgy internet connection.

God I love Europe though

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using