Aug 10, 1999
CarveMan said:

The beige jacket is gone
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Snow still showing over the next week or so for Val D and surrounds and also St Anton
wink.gif

Could be a dump!

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Absoultely dumping in Zermatt!!!

Cam was brown and dry yesterday

NOW a good 30cms I reckon!!!!!!!

findeln.jpg

I still see St Anton getting some in the next few days for the TOFF as well

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Chester

One of Us
Jul 2, 2007
BIG snow in france. woke up this morning and looked out the window to find the village (1400m) completely blanketed in white. epic day ahead but also a very cautious one as the resort was already on high avalanche alert during the past few days before this snowfall.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
'H' Jones said:
I feel sick skidown
frown.gif

Likewise, would have loved fresh snow and to see snow in the Zermatt village would be sooo nice!

Ah well booked again for next year
laugh.gif
smile.gif

cin

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 31, 2008
Chernobyl, Russia
snow can be friggen cruel, you guys have reduced your chances of ever getting that again to the odds of winning the lottery twice, in consecutive years!

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
cin said:
snow can be friggen cruel, you guys have reduced your chances of ever getting that again to the odds of winning the lottery twice, in consecutive years!

I'll go back for a 3rd and 4th year if needed
wink.gif

But as others have said, Europe is not about the snow, it's about everything else!!!!!

cin

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 31, 2008
Chernobyl, Russia
i luv europe, would love to live in the alps
every other place I've skied in the world I would only want to holiday in, no matter how good the snow was

Chester

One of Us
Jul 2, 2007
skidown said:
cin said:

I'll go back for a 3rd and 4th year if needed
wink.gif

But as others have said, Europe is not about the snow, it's about everything else!!!!!

i would say that europe is about the snow and everything else

Risca1961

Hard Yards
Oct 9, 2009
Adelaide
I agree that it's as much ab out the experience. Just returned from the UK which included a three day trip to Bizau in the Bregenzerwald area of Austria. As I was there with my 9 year old daughter I wanted a fairly benign resort , something like our local Hotham. The three valleys didn't disappoint. We were lucky to score a fall of about 10 cms of freshies during our stay too. Interesting observation , and would others concur, that austrians congregate on the groomed runs and have no interest off piste? I was still riding untracked in bounds on day three.

The small villages of Bizau, Bisea ( a tad confusing two villages with almost identical pronunciation) Egg an Au were very authentic and we found ourselfs in a very small minority of only English speaking - Unlike Lech which is becoming Benidorm in the snow , complete with fish n chips and warm beer Quite an Austrian experience with great hospitality and only 1.5 hrs out of Zurich bloody cheap too!

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Nice to see someone hitting up smaller lesser known areas. I guess those sort of places may attract more families who are not after a major Apres scene, so there will probably be also less heading offpiste. So good for visitors like yourself. Similar to many places in the world.

The Voralberger dialect is a bit different as well to other parts of Austria, slightly closer to the Swiss though still recognisable.

'H' Jones

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2008
CarveMan said:
So Etihad called and offered a $600 upgrade to Business for the Abu Dhabi - Melbourne leg. Didn't have to think about that one for too long.

Bargain, enjoy !!

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Never stayed in Chur but from memory it is a largish town. You could maybe stay there for a few days and do day trips to few places in the vicinity like Davos, Laax, St. Moritz, Arosa or you could just pick one or two of those and stay there.

JackDarcy

First Runs
Oct 6, 2010
It's hard to come up with something that's fundamentally different, but we have, I think, on this tour. I have no idea how to start the process of planning a 2 week trip through Europe on trains. For an experienced and adventurous traveler, it comes up short.

surfie_guy1

One of Us
Sep 16, 2004
Perth
blutek said:
Any thoughts on the Chur area in Switzerland (maybe Arosa), as a stopover on way from Paris to Innsbruck.

It's about a 30 minute bus from from Flims/Laax/Falera.

Flims is awesome...huge mountain and very unknown outside of Switzerland. Great skiing on piste and off.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
CarveMan said:
So Etihad called and offered a $600 upgrade to Business for the Abu Dhabi - Melbourne leg. Didn't have to think about that one for too long.

Just saw this

woohoo.gif
thumbsup.gif

cin

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 31, 2008
Chernobyl, Russia
surfie_guy1 said:
blutek said:
Any thoughts on the Chur area in Switzerland (maybe Arosa), as a stopover on way from Paris to Innsbruck.

It's about a 30 minute bus from from Flims/Laax/Falera.

Flims is awesome...huge mountain and very unknown outside of Switzerland. Great skiing on piste and off.

Flims/laax has been on my radar for a while now, I like how its so unknown outside Switzerland.

But shhhhhhhh!
Don't let that change!
biggrin.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Okay I am LOCKED in for Europe 2012 now
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Booked and paid for flights!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melbourne-Singapore-London and back - Qantas A380 the whole way upper deck, front
wink.gif
Can lug 64kgs each this time as well and not the 30kg limit
biggrin.gif

Few nights in Singapore on the way back!

Sale going for anyone interested

$6000 return in Business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sale til 30th March 2011. Way too cheap to pass up and not worth burning up 500,000 points when flights are 1/2 the normal price. Save the FF points for a rainy day!

Los Angeles also on Sale for $5000 return in Business

'H' Jones

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2008
Haha, to think you were unsure about Europe sd
wink.gif

Good work mate, now to choose your resorts !

Oh, that business class special very very good for Singapore !

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Indeed
biggrin.gif

Lech/St Anton and and and....

Not 100% sure about resort number 2 yet.... who care's it's Europe!!!!!!

USA - Maybe in 2013....
laugh.gif
Yeh I do miss the USA but it can wait....

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
smitty484 said:
All sounds epic, except the thought of lugging around 64kgs of luggage. FARK THAT!

True - Which is why we avoided trains last time and drove pretty much everywhere!

USA trip 2 years ago we were well over 80kgs each coming back, but that included new skis boots and new skis and lots of clothing
laugh.gif

This trip we had a limit of 30kgs for checked and 14kgs for carry on each.

We had about 35kgs checked and 15kgs for carry on and were not charged extra, but we had to hire skis
frown.gif

Will probably take skis across this time and save $$ on hiring

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
eek.gif
leaving the kitchen sink at home this time?

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Perhaps
wink.gif

My damn suitcases are heavy though...... Antler with wheels they are about 4kgs before starting!!!!

Bloody Antler carry-ons are 2kgs before starting too! Once again damn wheels

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Could never understand why people would want wheels for carry on bags. Backpack always works for me.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Not long for me now. About to logoff and leave the office.
woohoo.gif
woohoo.gif

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
skidown said:

Consider Italy, maybe Cortina d'Ampezzo?

You've seen arguably the best of France & Switzerland, and will see the best of Austria in the Arlberg, so give Italy a shot. I spent a fair bit of time there this year and loved it. I can definitely see more Italian skiing in our future.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
CarveMan said:
skidown said:

Consider Italy, maybe Cortina d'Ampezzo?

You've seen arguably the best of France & Switzerland, and will see the best of Austria in the Arlberg, so give Italy a shot. I spent a fair bit of time there this year and loved it. I can definitely see more Italian skiing in our future.

Very true - Thanks CM
smile.gif

My travel agent has recommended Lech and Campitello
biggrin.gif

Now to sort accommodation.... ARGGHh

'H' Jones

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2008
I stayed at the Haldenhof in lech, it was very nice, ski in, (down a fun slope), but walk out (400m). Food excellent
smile.gif

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
skidown said:
Calling TOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Hello....playing catch up at work while trying to keep the brain in happy lala mode.
Will knock out a brief trip report with pics asap.

For anyone who is thinking of Europe, St Anton is FANTASTIC!

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
'H' Jones said:
I stayed at the Haldenhof in lech, it was very nice, ski in, (down a fun slope), but walk out (400m). Food excellent
smile.gif

HA
smile.gif
and thanks
biggrin.gif

My travel agent said

"I think you would enjoy staying at the Haldenhof in Lech This hotel is a very short walk to everything in the village and includes dinner and breakfast in the tariff"

rpmjunky

First Runs
Jun 8, 2005
adelaide
Well with the snow starting to get very thin in the Portes Du Soleil and the temperatures ever increasing i decided to put away my solid snowboard and head to Chamonix to hire a Jones Splitboard. i have spent the last few days just getting used to skinning and the techniques involved with doing so. Today i set off on an inbounds journey from the pierre lounge chair in Chatel and headed for the highest peak i could get too. 2.5 hours later i reached the summit quiet tired but enjoyed relatively easy skin to the top compared with hiking. The ride down was o.k considering the conditions with untracked but wet heavy snow. The snow pack is unstable and i set off one mini slide. Luckily i could traverse across through some tree's onto another face to avoid this slope.

Two more days before i have to take it back and the legs are pretty tired but i think i have a couple climbs left in me.

Now to start deciding on which spit to buy when i head to Canada next winter. Jones, Neversummer, Prior?

by the way you do get some strange looks from skiers when you skin past them, "is that a Surf?"

Legion

One of Us
Feb 23, 2005
rpmjunky said:
The ride down was o.k considering the conditions with untracked but wet heavy snow. The snow pack is unstable and i set off one mini slide. Luckily i could traverse across through some tree's onto another face to avoid this slope.
Hiking in spring brings a whole new set of challenges. Best to leave early and hike up bulletproof ice and leave the mountains once you start sinking above your ankles. Wet slides are very dangerous and unpredictable.

rpmjunky

First Runs
Jun 8, 2005
adelaide
yeah i think i will have done my last hike for the season possibly. Heavy rain here in chattel this morning. i don't think cover on the lower part of the mountain will be much chop after today.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass