Europe 2018 thread.

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Kletterer, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Time to get things rolling again folks. Hopefully a bumper Oz season to precede some Northern Hemi gesticulations amongst the Alps finest . For me its a fortnight back in Saalbach again from Jan 8 with @DidSurfNowSki followed by an open week ( decide when we are there) somewhere else on the Salzburger ski pass. Whats on the cards folks ?

2. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

Iceland Oct-Nov not skiing, this year, so doesn't count :)

Kletterer likes this.
  3. Kletterer

Season Pass Gold

Doing any cragging ?

4. tele-whippet

Season Pass Gold

Walking, waterfall and northern lights watching.

Kletterer likes this.
  5. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Never too early!
    2017 steep and touring season is on! ;)

I have no plans thus far, wait and see what happens for annual leave etc for now... frothing still

Kletterer likes this.
  6. tele-whippet

Season Pass Gold

So Kletterergirl's leg will be A OK?!

7. Kletterer

Season Pass Gold

She will be doing Tassie walks instead of Austria.

8. Swede

Swede Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Am organising a Cham reunion mid March for a bunch of peeps who used to live there late 80s to late 90s, well some made a life out of it and are still living there or come and go. Have about 15 guys from Oz so far going and hopefully a fair group from Sweden and obviously the peeps that are now locals, just a tad exited :)

Made this video trailer years ago for a different Cham page so put it up in our FB group to remind the boys why they are going back, there is a litte bit of skiing in it :), aaah the good old days…

https://vimeo.com/25792860

Izzy, Kletterer and tele-whippet like this.
  9. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

We'll be doing the Cham trip again - same program & price, just need to confirm the date - the ski test we went to in Austria is still to announce their dates and I would hate to have a clash as it was super useful for us, so as soon as we know this we will announce.

It will be in the late Feb / Early March window again.

We are also thinking of offering a warmup then Haute Route, that's going to take a little more thought.

Rimey, tele-whippet, Zeroz and 3 others like this.
  10. Zeroz

Zeroz Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Europe again in January 2018.
    Will go where the snow is, but likely Chamonix, as some in our group have not experienced the delights and I don't need much convincing to return. Also Alagna, but this will be the 4th time I've tried. Hopefully it will snow there this time.

11. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I've blocked out 3 weeks mid-January on the AirBnB calendar for our place in the Portes du Soleil. :woohoo:

12. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

That was fkn excellent.

13. Whiteman

Whiteman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Probably heading back to Austria in early March, maybe Schladming, but not sure of destination yet.

14. Kletterer

Season Pass Gold

DidSurfNowSki likes this.
  15. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

People using front side skis and you can actually see 6 turns in front of you, like !

Kletterer likes this.
  16. Research101

Research101 Active Member

Our group
    My family ( 5 skiers ) & My In laws ( 2 grandparents non skiers )

We are looking at an itinerary something like this
    Arrive Munich 10 dec
    do Romantic Road and Christmas market towns like Colmar and Stasbourg

16 dec Val D'Isere - 5 - 7 days

23 dec to Jungfrau region probably for Christmas with possibly Golden Pass train trip

New Year - undecided ?? - Any suggestions ??
    possibly Prague for new year ?

After new year
    Zell am See for +/- 4 days
    Cortina for +/- 4 days
    Bernina express train as well

20 Jan - home. Back to work

Having non skiers we have tried to pick resorts that have other stuff going on to keep them happy for a few days
    We will have a mini van probably for the whole journey
    Father in law wants to do a couple of mountain train trips
    Mother in Law wants to see Christmas markets

Kletterer and piolet like this.
  17. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu Active Member

What a fantastic itinerary. Can't offer too much advice. Presumably, if you are coming from Cortina you will do the Bernina Express in the North direction (Tirano to Chur then on to Zurich). If you need to drop off the mini van, one suggestion is to do that in Milan. You can then get the regional express from Milan to Tirano (easy train, runs about every hour) and break up that journey with a couple of nights in one of the towns on Lake Como. If so, I'd strongly recommend Varenna which will give you the classic Lake Como experience which is an incredible one. If you are dropping off the mini van in Tirano, then, of course, the Bernina Express passes through St Moritz (via Samedan). If you have a couple of thousand dollars left over, you could spend a couple of days skiing in St Moritz, pick up the odd mink coat and put the deposit down on the Maserati! Everyone will enjoy the Bernina Express not just your Father in Law. Have a great trip.

18. Research101

Thanks for the reply Shabu Shabu - which by the way we enjoyed for dinner in japan a few years back
    still planning and making it all fit together, would like to try the skiing in St Moritz but the expense puts me off, Switzerland is great but man it blows the budget real quick so I try to steer clear as much as I can unfortunately. Besides there are so many good ski resorts within a few hours drive all thru the areas of France, Austria and Italy, picking them out you cant really go wrong, not hard to have a good time
    Biggest sticking point atm is where to go for New Years, probably over the big city thing, so looking for a active vibrante place with something going on, but not over the top

19. Rabid K9

Rabid K9 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Some rad do's in there.

20. chriscross

chriscross Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Great work, Swede, that is a classic. Raise a glass to the good old days and good days to come.

21. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Plane tickets bought, 4 weeks in Austria Jan-Feb here we come. :woohoo:

Kimski, Kletterer and piolet like this.
  22. Kletterer

Season Pass Gold

Booked the same 2 flights over as yours bro. Jan 7 to Jan 27. Look forward to showing you around. Got some good ideas for week 3 ;).

DidSurfNowSki likes this.
  23. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

24. markopolo

markopolo Naughty Corner Resident
    Season Pass Gold

Pyrenees second week of January

Kletterer and piolet like this.
  25. Kletterer

Season Pass Gold

So the BIG EVENT ----- KITZBUHEL DOWNHILL is on Sat. 20th of Jan. by hook or by crook the kletterer express will be leaving Saalbach 8 am all welcome. Bring sturdy footwear . @Rabid K9 will you be about ?

Zimboo likes this.
  26. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

DSNS will have a different perspective of the bar pit and ski culture after that!!!!!!!
    It's like Christmas, New Years, Carnival all thrown in together around the best ski race in the world all on the one day!!!!

Kletterer likes this.
  27. Piste Again

Season Pass Gold

I'd cram in the sightseeing early and aim for snow later, but you could strike it lucky at Val d'isere.

Any train trip through Switzerland has its moments and the view from even the local trains is gobsmacking if you've never seen proper mountains before. That was certainly the case for us. It is gorgeous and everyone ought to see it at least once in their lives. But be warned - everything in Switzerland costs double what it does in France or triple what it does in Italy. Plus a bit more, especially at xmas. Be liberal with your budget for the days you're there.

I'd leave it till late to book the ski destination in January. Better to pay a bit more than to end up where the snow's crap. I'd narrow down the possible destinations to suit both skiers and non-skiers, check 10 days ahead what conditions and forecasts are like, and then look for deals. January is low season in Europe and like the season just gone the difference between a bumper season and ordinary can be 100km.

Are you driving or using planes, trains and buses?

28. Sbooker

Sbooker Active Member

How does Austria compare in the price comparison as per above? I would guess similar to France?

29. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Haven't been to France for a few years so can't properly compare but I would think that would be about right. Switzerland though has always been more expensive and it probably even more so now.

30. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Austria is fine price-wise. If you're keen to spend money it won't get in your way, but it's nothing like Switzerland.

31. Research101

we will be hiring a mini van as there are 7 of us
    know all about the swiss expenses as we found out 2 years ago, paid nearly $50 for a roast chicken from a street side vendor, still half the price of eating out at an average restaurant, so we will probably whip in and out of there when possible, we noticed last time all the swiss would hop over the border and shop at aldi for their groceries.
    We are taking a bit of a punt on skiing early at Val D, so keeping fingers crossed on that one although Tignes has glacier skiing so at worst there might be something, have booked a chalet in St Foy for the week 16 -23 dec 10 minutes from Val and has its own small ski field as well $2500 AUD for 7 of us, keeping away from the ski resorts over xmas and new year as it is busy and expensive as well, so we will do all the tourist stuff and travelling then, we will probably then head to Zell am See for a few days skiing, close to Saalbach for snow reliability and then probably down to Cortina for a last stint of skiing, should be ok for snow by then hopefully, last time we went to the dolomites the snow was not around everywhere but the snow making effort was amazing and the views spectacular.
    These 2 places have a bit to do for our non skiers
    looks like we might be heading to Bratislavia for new years, still planning but starting to take shape

Piste Again and piolet like this.
  32. Inclder

Inclder New Member

Xmas week is actually pretty cheap. NY week on the other hand...

33. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Well I'm out.

Summer euro family trip time.

Buuuut i may have a lead on a sneaky trip to the states with a few mates instead. Is there a general thread for that?

34. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I quite liked Bratislava on a quick trip there some time back. A compact attractive old town near the castle by the Danube. Smaller and far less touristy than Prague although that was back in 2002. Don't know what it is like now though.

Research101 likes this.
  35. Kletterer

Season Pass Gold

Zeroz likes this.
  36. Piste Again

Season Pass Gold

I note the complete absence of new lifts in Oz. Whoever maintains that site can appartently see that the "masterplans" are unlikely to ever come to fruition.There are more planned lifts in the Alps than there are existing lifts here!

37. Zeroz

Zeroz Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Aus resorts have spent their limited money on snowmaking since the 2003 CSIRO report laid out the evidence.
    Like the Insurance industry, there aren't many deniers in snow business. Investing in snowmaking (v lifts) was smart.

For Europe that lift map was not good. Euro resorts have gigantic numbers of lifts and do constant upgrades .
    3 Valleys has 170 lifts, Val D'Isere/Tignes nearty 100, as does St.Anton.
    Apparently they have no new or replacement lifts planned in any of those. Unlikely.
    For the USA it was better but there are still a bunch of 'aspirational' lifts listed that aren't close to getting done.

I do see that Ski Egypt Indoor Area has a new lift https://web.facebook.com/skiegypt/?_rdc=1&_rdr

38. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Buller is replacing BB1 this summer.

39. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 Well-Known Member

Still a great, small capital city. Modernisation is happening but it still retains its historical charm and is still considerably cheaper than Vienna less than an hours drive away.

piolet likes this.
  40. Piste Again

Season Pass Gold

I certainly can't disagree with that. I think the money will have to move back into lifts sooner or later at places like Thredbo because in another decade or so I expect that it will be very hard to keep the lower parts of Supertrail and High Noon open for a significant part of the season.

41. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

Ok im a newbie to euro skiing but im working on something like melbourne-geneva-chamonix-dolomites-venice-melbourne. Me, mrs mr and the 3 rugrats aged 13,11,8. 2 weeks skiing + 2 weeks travel.

Maybe with a norway leg thrown in xmas to new year to catch up with friends. I spent some time in cham 20 years ago, before i was a skier....loved it

CarveMan and piolet like this.
  42. Kletterer

Season Pass Gold

Prime example of how Saalbach deals with lean starts via a huge array of snow cannons.

Heinz likes this.
  43. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Ja, sicher sind die Schneekanonen sehr, sehr wichtig für die Geschäft, höchstens in die vergangenen Saison mit wenig Pulverschnee. Die machen die Pisten sehr schön zum fahren. War genau so in Ostirol.

Aber selbstverständlich ist es immer besser mit Pulverschee!

44. Kletterer

Season Pass Gold

Genau. Weniger gelt im tasche fur die lift co. aber die leute commen immer zuruck.

45. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Und für Österreich ist das andaurend Schitourismus sehr wichtig.

Kletterer likes this.
  46. Kletterer

Season Pass Gold

Erlebnis blut

47. Piste Again

Season Pass Gold

I've been watching the airfare prices to Geneva (ex Sydney) for January and comparing them to last year's. Flying Qantas. About 11 days ago they bottomed out and started rising slowly, but today they were still $1500 less than we paid last year so I pounced and booked flights this afternoon. :woohoo:

We fly out of Sydney on December 31, an hour before the fireworks. We could watch the fireworks and fly out the day after but it would cost $1700 more for the 4 of us :eek: Return flights booked ex Geneva on January 26.

We'll be staying in our place outside Morzine with the whole Portes du Soleil to play in. And probably a bit of house maintenance on the grotty days. If it's crap snow we'll get a last-minute deal someplace better for a few days. It's low season in January so there should be some good value.

Though I did notice that the last car we rented ex Geneva had a list of countries we were not allowed to take it to. Most of the Arab world and Eastern Europe, but also Italy! Could cramp our style...

Apresski, Kletterer and CarveMan like this.
  48. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

You renting from the French or Swiss side of GVA?

49. Kletterer

Season Pass Gold

Booked 2 single rooms for myself and @DidSurfNowSki in Hinterglemm centre. Four **** star Hotel Sonnalp 12 nights breakfast and Dinner for just over 2000 AUD each. 8-12 Jan. :D Location after that still open.

#49 Kletterer, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    kaegee, DidSurfNowSki and Zimboo like this.
  50. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Just had a look at their website looks fantastic in both place and value!!!!

Kletterer likes this.