Europe 2019

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Kimski, May 10, 2018.

1. Kimski

Kimski Addicted

As it’s now May and there seems to be a few of us well into planning / booking I thought I’d start a general thread.

I’ve just booked my main flights Adelaide to London, return from Paris. Booked with Singapore Airlines for $1328. Officially the cheapest flights to/from Europe ever for me :)

I’ll have a full day in London before heading to the Three Valleys for a catered week with ski in ski out accommodation.

Second week is my ‘budget’ week and at this stage I’ve booked an apartment in Briançon to ski Serre Chevalier. Will probably be using the nearby budget supermarket a fair bit :D

Finally, I’ve got a couple of days in Lyon, checking out a new city for me.

LMB, Lifes2good, piolet and 1 other person like this.
  2. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us

Nice, keen to hear about Briançon and Serre Chevalier, I've been looking go there for a while.

LMB likes this.
  3. piolet

piolet Found anything yet?
    Ski Pass - Gold

Maybe a mod could migrate some of the other question threads in?
    Whatever

I'm stoked. Probably won't even go skiing LOL

But, maybe.

Kletterer likes this.
  4. Kimski

Kimski Addicted

That week could still change but it’s my plan for now. Will see if I can do a bit of a report if I go there.

5. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Good on you for starting the general 2019 thread. Have been a couple of specific threads but have been waiting for this one. Certainly hope to return to Austria again next year but way to early for me to make any plans yet. Missed you at the drinks here tonight.

LMB, Kimski and piolet like this.
  6. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Lucky you with the SIA flights...at the time of pulling the pin for us, they were still circa $2300 pp, so we went with Cathay instead. Into Milan, out of Paris. Looking at doing a week also somewhere in Serre Chevalier.

LMB likes this.
  7. LDJ

LDJ Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Do it I have skied 20 weeks or so there and it is awesome for wide amounts of varied piste skiing and accessible offpiste

LMB and Kimski like this.
  8. Zeroz

Zeroz One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yep.
    Will book flights to a central Euro airport (GVA, ZRH, MXP, or similar) and then see where it's snowy in January.

Jan and Feb this year was amazing in Europe. Nearly everywhere got early, frequent and huge dumps.
    Not expecting that again for 2019. I have a few location prefs but will wait to see what the snow does.

Kimski and CarveMan like this.
  9. RubberJohnson

RubberJohnson Hard Yards

We are flying outta Perth and got our flights for $1130 with Cathay. We had to go in school hols (mid Dec-mid Jan). Pretty happy with that price. Fingers crossed there is a decent base by jan 4th.

Kimski likes this.
  10. Kimski

Kimski Addicted

Wow, that’s an awesome price. Especially for school holidays.

I was pretty set on flying Singapore Airlines. They do a day flight from Adelaide and after overnighting in Singapore I land at Heathrow 3pm. Even with sleeping tablets I can’t sleep at all on planes. Well, maybe in business class but my budget doesn’t stretch that far LOL

LMB likes this.
  11. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty!
    Ski Pass - Gold

@Kimski
    Sounds like a fabulous trip and I’d be very interested in a Trip Report after the fact (please).

We did train out of Milan a few years back (it was to Zermatt, but you can pretty much go anywhere with those train connections!) - was great!

#11 LMB, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Kimski likes this.
  12. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Trip report for sure :thumbs:.

Planning on doing a bit of a loop from Milan - Lake Como and up through Switzerland, before tracking back via Geneva. Still a bit fluid, but have a rough itinerary at this stage.

13. RubberJohnson

RubberJohnson Hard Yards

Yeah, I was about to book us to the US for much more than that and my wife suggested just seeing what the price to Europe was.....it was a deal too good to refuse! So now I just gotta hope the snow is ok! Kids have never been to Europe (or US for that matter) and now they are all teenagers this will prob be our last family holiday. European Vacation here we come!

Ozgirl and Kimski like this.
  14. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Addicted

I am looking at options for Europe not for skiing but for some hiking in September. OG1's mother went touristing years ago and must have gone to Grindelwald in Switzerland and took the furnicular railway up to the Jungfrau lookout. OG1 wants to go too, kind of reliving what Mum did. Walking trails seem Ok. The other option which seems pretty spectacular would be in the Dolomites. Any particular pros or cons either way. I'm thinking Switzerland might be more expensive (altho Cortina might be tòo). After that we'd end up in Rome maybe via Cinque Terre coast.

LMB likes this.
  15. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty!
    Ski Pass - Gold

Grindelwald and Jungfrau - spectacular.
    We went in winter so it’ll be a different experience for you. But it’s one of very few places that I REALLY want to revisit.

oldgeezer likes this.
  16. piolet

piolet Found anything yet?
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yep
    Bloody gorgeous
    Interlaken, eiger etc too

LMB likes this.
  17. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

It is an amazing region, but expect to see hordes of Chinese & Indian tourists.

If you want something very scenic, slightly less touristy and a bit cheaper consider the Salzkammergut lakes region in Austria.

18. Scoober

Scoober Addicted

Just booked flights to Prague flying Korean for all the family Jan 4 to Jan 28, $1500 return with one night layover in Korea on the way. Catch up with my brother and family who live in Prague and then we will all drive down into Austria to ski for two weeks. Not sure where yet, early days in planning.

Kletterer, RubberJohnson and Kimski like this.
  19. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Ok brains trust I need advice.

At this stage after Italy (Florence, Milan, Lake Como), will be travelling to Lucerne on the intercity train. Planning 3 nights in Lucerne before making our way over to Montreux for the night. After Montreux I was looking towards Annecy as a good pit stop for the night before our ski week in the French alps (thinking Serre Chavelier). After ski week, then it’s back to Paris for 2 nights before fly out.

Now the question is where do I pick up my car?

The two options I’ve come up with is:
    1) Geneva - train from Montreux to Geneva, hire car and drive to Annecy. My only hesitation is that I’ve heard it’s more expensive to hire in Switzerland, and also the vignette req for using the Swiss motorway.
    2) Chambery - train from Montreux to Geneva, then Geneva to Chambery. Hire car and drive to Annecy.

Help!

20. CIRCA1962

CIRCA1962 Hard Yards

You will be doing a lot of backtracking if you train to Chambery then drive back to Annecy (It is only about 30 minutes drive from Geneva airport if going against the commuter traffic). Transfer companies and Alpine buses provide a good service to most resorts in France so cars are not essential.

21. Kash

Kash Hard Yards

Slightly non-skiing related but looking for tips for you regular euro skiers pls! We (wife + 3 kids: 2 to 8 y/o) land in Paris on 27th Dec and then ski 3 Valleys from 5th Jan.

Any tips for good places to go over that period with young kids? Done Paris and western Europe extensively so looking for somewhere else around that time.

22. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Get the train to GVA airport and rent a car from the French side. Way cheaper but won’t have snow tyres.

23. Hermannator

Hermannator Addicted

Surely depends on how many in your posse..

24. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Just 2. Was thinking about flexibility in the mountains + also transfers between transport hubs at beginning/end of ski week.

25. Hermannator

Hermannator Addicted

Hmmm so you hire in GVA, drive to Annecy. Then you are going to drive to Serre Chevalier?

Would it be worth hiring the car in Italy then driving the whole trip until your ski week, returning it back to Italy when near Serre (e.g. Oulx)?
    Possibly switch the order? Go to Serre 1st then visit Annecy, Montreaux and Lucerne..

Not sure...

26. Johnny Come Lately

Johnny Come Lately One of Us

Back to St. Anton for a week, followed by Monterosa area in Italy for a new one to us.

CANNOT WAIT!!

Kimski and Kletterer like this.