Europe 2020/2021

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
TUESDAY 03 NOVEMBER 2020

OPENING DAY IN THE CENTRAL BEACONS MASSIF

First snow and first turns of the 2020/21 Winter Season here in the Brecon Beacons National Park, Wales

Headed up the Storey Arms path and caught up with Chris in Cwm Llwch.

Couple of runs on the ridgeline between Cwm Llwch and Cwm Sere and then I hit the ridgline off Corn Du solo.

Tried to ski back towards the Storey Arms path but the ground was very warm and was melting off pretty quickly.

Tremendous scenery from Corn Du despite the rain squalls and wild wind.

But you need rain to get rainbows.

Excellent first day on skis

Chris

20_11_03_Beacons_8-1-IC-960.jpg

20_11_03_Beacons_6-1-IC-960.jpg

Fan Fawr

20_11_03_Beacons_2-1-IC-960.jpg

Cribyn

20_11_03_Beacons_4-1-IC-960.jpg

Corn Du

20_11_03_Beacons_10-1-IC-960.jpg

Cwm Llwch

20_11_03_Beacons_14-1-IC-960.jpg

Yours truly skiing the ridgeline between Cwm Llwch and Cwm Sere

Yours truly skiing the ridgeline off Corn Du

David-eTO

Addicted
Jan 20, 2020
Canberra
on the pother hand, more bad news from Italy.

Traditionally the season should open on the first weekend in December (ponte dell' Immacolata) but it looks like this year it won't. It also seems that the Christmas break is seriously compromised due to an increase in COVID-19 cases and the possibility that the Italian Government could push the lockdown well past Christmas
https://www.lastampa.it/montagna/tu...tuazione-quest-inverno-non-si-scia-1.39531209.

Reactions: skiflat

smitty484

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Apr 27, 2006
London, previously Brisbane
Hoping to get a week or two in the season. Will be last minute bookings and dependant on the cv-19 situation. I just want to get somewhere with decent snow and a guide. Potentially could have a few options with visitors numbers down!!

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
Turkeys voting for Christmas comes to mind:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-jobs-after-brexit?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Seems Brits have voted to end the traditional British package ski holiday- Brit company run chalets & hotels in Euro ski resorts staffed by young Brit seasonaires - when they voted for Brexit 4 years ago! ;)
wow - that's grim
other industries will take a hit too: I watch a lot of Place in the Sun etc - shows about British persons looking for places to live in France, Spain etc
that will be a lot harder without residency rights

Reactions: Val Desire
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

XTREMO

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2000
Berlin
How sad to check in and find this thread only up to page 2 by the end of November.

Hope I get to ride this season.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Following from one of my previous posts, Italy won't allow tourists to snow resorts for the Christmas break:
https://www.lastampa.it/cronaca/202...iistica-ora-non-ci-sono-condizioni-1.39574884

On the other hand, it looks like Switzerland is happily capitalising on the opportunity and France could follow suit.
https://www.lastampa.it/cronaca/202...-la-francia-decide-entro-10-giorni-1.39574529
France has decided no skiing before the end of the Christmas break.

XTREMO

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2000
Berlin
Wife just sent me this. FML.

"Merkel demands that all ski areas stay closed". Tourist travel should not take place."

I can see her putting immense pressure on the Bundeslands to forbid travel.

Fking Angie!!! :mad::mad::mad:

angie.jpeg

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
In terms of risk it is quite ok for us. Going by night train in our own comparement - staying in our own hut and lot of drag lifts - and no Ischgl (Cortina) party party place - I think i will be the best choice for us. Anyway it will be end of March -so who knows.

Good luck with Italy!

images

(I will give regards to them from you)LOL

Wife just bought new ski today - left the old ones in Japan last north winter - so we want to ski!

David-eTO

Addicted
Jan 20, 2020
Canberra
at the moment the Italian Government is trying to find a way to allow some of the potential tourist to the snow resorts, as the lst statistics were pretty grim: 400,000.00 jobs plus 400 billions worth of income lost if ski resorts were not allowed to open
https://www.lastampa.it/cronaca/202...-per-salvare-la-stagione-sciistica-1.39598721

this article says that those who onw a property or book, at least, a night at a hotel, might be allowed to spend time at the resorts.

there is also a referendum for those who would like to have their say about whether keeping resort's closed is a good or a bad idea
https://www.lastampa.it/cronaca/202...-o-chiuse-a-natale-cosa-ne-pensate-1.39597761.

Good luck to everyone

XTREMO

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2000
Berlin
There goes Austria’s ski season, behind Italy, France and Germany:
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2...o-pressure-on-covid-risk-with-ski-holiday-ban

"A survey in Germany showed that the majority of citizens were in favour of closing European ski resorts. Almost 74% of those questioned by the polling institute Civey said it was either “obvious” or “preferable” to close the resorts to control the virus’s spread."

I wonder how many of those are actually skiers/snowboarders?

Reactions: POW Hungry

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Austria says no.
Saalbach start dates
EoPxvvJXYAM3ksM.jpeg

As that graphic indicates and as speculated in the last few days Austria plan to allow ski-lifts to be able to operate from Dec24, but not with Hotels and Restaurants. A bit of a compromise on the German suggestion. Meaning that skiing would be limited to day trippers which would pretty much exclude Germans, so still a major hit in revenue. But at least allow locals to get out and ski. Hotels and Restaurants would then be able to open Jan7, but still without Apres ski.

Austria is currently still in a hard lockdown until Dec 6 when there will be a slight easing of restrictions, though still with a curfew. They are also this week conducting mass testing across the whole country. Plan is to have a further easing just prior to Christmas, so allow families to get together. Suggestions then of another mass test early January.

XTREMO

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2000
Berlin
Yeah its all a bit depressing. Such an amazing season start conditions wise and could've even done Xmas 'boarding by the looks of it.

over.JPG

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Ach der Zwölferkogel. Make sure if you ski the Nordabfahrt that your edges are in good shape, so you don't go for a slide like I did last year!

Likewise for me in February. Can be deadly in the late afternoon.

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
School me a little on Euro snow. How come Italy is getting hammered and northern Austria (for example) is getting hardly any? Is it something to do with moisture sources south of the Alps, or a swirl of cold air wrapping around the southern flanks of the Alps? And yet Bulgaria not getting the same snow Italy is. Seems to be more regional variation than I am used to here in Australia.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass