Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
And the next storm will also heavily favour Austria. Yet again.

It's rare that I leave a ski area with +60cm forecast for the next week. I'm in Klosters, Switzerland and that's the forecast here.
But the big base in Austria, +50cm of new snow predicted in Fieberbrunn, and skiing a new fun area make it a better choice.

Not sure what's going on with snowfall in France and Italy this season but unless you are a very keen piste skier I would avoid.

Snow forecast: next 6 days

1643301115460.png

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
As well as being ski.com.au's official luge/sledge correspondent I also provide important updates on Euroski fashions
for those who want to keep up with the coolest and on fleek styles

Breaking Euro Fashion News
I have observed a large increase in the number of Euroskiers wearing the integrated helmet-goggle set up. This contraption:

1643302086669.png

They've been around for a while but in just the cable car the other day I counted 16 people wearing them.
Sure, not one of those people was under 50 years old, but it's a thing.

In our group these are known as Highway to the Danger Zone helmets from this memorable Jerry Of The Day post.

When you want to ski but have to take the highway to the danger zone at six #dangerzone #topgun
_nc_ohc=5QRqsuvmcvAAX8U_aWa&_nc_ht=scontent-zrh1-1.jpg

I have no idea of the utility of this apparatus or if this trend will die or (mysteriously) keep growing.
But I do believe that they would sell way more if the helmets had Maverick or Goose printed on the forehead bit.

David-eTO

Addicted
Jan 20, 2020
Canberra
The British Icon Infrastructure fund has purchased Sestriere S.p.A. early this week. While it's disappointing to see another Italian brand changing hands and going abroad, i hope the British will ve able to give Sestriere some of its old lustre. Good luck to all those involved.

Reactions: dawooduck

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
As well as being ski.com.au's official luge/sledge correspondent I also provide important updates on Euroski fashions
for those who want to keep up with the coolest and on fleek styles

Breaking Euro Fashion News
I have observed a large increase in the number of Euroskiers wearing the integrated helmet-goggle set up. This contraption:

1643302086669.png

They've been around for a while but in just the cable car the other day I counted 16 people wearing them.
Sure, not one of those people was under 50 years old, but it's a thing.

In our group these are known as Highway to the Danger Zone helmets from this memorable Jerry Of The Day post.

When you want to ski but have to take the highway to the danger zone at six #dangerzone #topgun
_nc_ohc=5QRqsuvmcvAAX8U_aWa&_nc_ht=scontent-zrh1-1.jpg

I have no idea of the utility of this apparatus or if this trend will die or (mysteriously) keep growing.
But I do believe that they would sell way more if the helmets had Maverick or Goose printed on the forehead bit.
Oh yeh, I rock one of those bad boys in France. Whilst they’re actually really comfy and very practical in bad weather, I would never in a million years contemplate bringing it back to Oz. Maybe Buller for the graupel and the Whit…
D54B5727-8F70-4945-88F0-411026F4F634.jpeg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
When you get an ad on twitter and you realise you’ve climbed a peak in it…..

B070DA32-DF2A-468A-86B1-6EE5697CEA62.jpeg
Which is?
Not quite the same but Piz Buin have ads for their sunscreen but never feature the mountain of the same name.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Which is?
Not quite the same but Piz Buin have ads for their sunscreen but never feature the mountain of the same name.
Tour Ronde. Mont Blanc is the big white on in the background.

0F8E579E-3D22-4F9E-8446-2B6D366E95EF.jpeg

Came up the ‘voie normale’ aka the normal route, or easy way, and skied off the back down the Brenva Glacier to Courmayeur.

Definitely the ‘biggest’ line I’ve ever skied, lots of consequences exiting the glacier, seracs the size of office blocks ready to fall on your head.

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
Waiting for the Fieberbrunn Dumparama snow of 1m..... few pics of Klosters where we stayed last week.

I've long wanted to ski Davos Klosters. Huge area, great snow record, extensive and challenging off-piste. But we ski in January and the World Economic Forum is held every Jan in Davos and everything is booked for 100km. But the WEF was Covid cancelled this year.

Davos, below, is a charmless city (the highest in Europe). Klosters is a traditional Swiss village 5km away. Linked lifts join at the top.
The other four areas are sort of "linked" by train or bus. On the plus side, it's Switzerland so the trains are frequent and excellent.
1643575937315.png

Europeans know how to relax. I snapped a random pic while we were having a coffee and it looks like a tourism ad.
1643575403226.png

Recent snow was good skiing for the first three days but after that it got crunchy. Massive freeride terrain. This went for 1k.
1643577773670.png

1643577288222.png

Witchcraft ahead.
1643577515852.png

Up from Davos is via funicular and we funicked a few times. Funicular is a fun word to say and if the verb isn't funicked then it should be.
The run down to Davos is a black run where you can really fang it, but 2/3 of the way down, without no warning the trail veers at a right angle through the stone arches under the funicular. Hilariously dangerous, gotta love Euroskiing's personal responsibility ethos.
1643577947011.png

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
1643641928037.png

First Fieberbrunn day yesterday, started at the gay gondola ^^. Each gondola has a beautiful word of inclusion like 'diversity', 'toleranz' etc.

We were immediately ejected.

FFP2 masks only! The usual type was ok in Switzerland for the last 3 weeks but not in Austria. We're staying nearby so we grabbed FFP2 masks from our room, but we never made it out of Feiberbrunn. Connecting lifts shut because of wind, snow. Similar today.

Dumping now and town is in storm prep mode - road plowing, clearing car parks. etc. Tues s/be good if we actually make it out of here.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Slight change to the validity period for two dose vaccinations in Austria from today. Previously this was valid for 270 days but now it is just 180 days. This meant that for over 235,000 people their Grüne Pass will no longer be valid. Mine is fine though as of course I have had the booster.
Note that this only applies within Austria, for entry into Austria the 270 day period is still valid (for now). Confusing?

Attention: The below mentioned validity dates are only valid for ENTRY INTO Austria. From 1 February 2022, two-dose vaccinations are only valid for 180 days when IN Austria (exception: 210 days for under 18 year olds). However, for ENTERING the 270 days remain in place. The booster vaccination is valid for 270 days in both scenarios.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
@Zeroz looks like you guys are getting some big snowfalls there and still delivering on the Webcams. Enjoy the Brunn. Its a Larchfilzer 4 seater day

XTREMO

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2000
Berlin
1643641928037.png

We were immediately ejected.

Sounds very inclusive and tolerant!

What's the FFP2 situation like generally? Are people sticking to it and keeping them on inside the gondolas and in bathrooms etc? I'm slightly nervous about covid ruining our trip in 10 days. I know it sounds a bit anal but 1 out of 6 of us getting a positive test, can quite possibly ruin the trip for everyone

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
@Zeroz looks like you guys are getting some big snowfalls there and still delivering on the Webcams. Enjoy the Brunn. Its a Larchfilzer 4 seater day
It's big.
40cms overnight, 10-20cm during the day, av danger up to 4, another 60cm expected tonight and tomorrow.

Got an awesome local guide from S4 Fieberbrunn since I have no idea of the area and it was a day for local knowledge.
Spent the day skiing trees, avalanche barriers, and ended up in Rosenegg after a rural sojourn through farms., car pickup back.

Crap pics as there was not a lot of stopping. Face shots, trenches, pillows, 30-40 degree slopes best. Epic day.
View from our breakfast table this morning. This was clear yesterday. So... I guess it could a good day up top.
1643734213278.png

1643734981349.png

1643736755961.png

1643735689479.png

I am developing a strong affinity with the bucolic serenity of skiing through European farmland. See Arosa Lenzerheide.
Aside from fence spotting it's not difficult, but it's fun. Breathe that alpine air! And the pervasive and pungent cow smell.
1643738806327.png

1643737993680.jpeg

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
Sounds very inclusive and tolerant!

What's the FFP2 situation like generally? Are people sticking to it and keeping them on inside the gondolas and in bathrooms etc? I'm slightly nervous about covid ruining our trip in 10 days. I know it sounds a bit anal but 1 out of 6 of us getting a positive test, can quite possibly ruin the trip for everyone
Anytime I have forgotten to put on my FFP2 mask on a gondola or chairlift an aggressive Austrian has sprung from his surveillance position and vigorously signalled that I have transgressed. So my limited experience is that people are wearing them and it's being enforced.

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
It's big.
40cms overnight, 10-20cm during the day, av danger up to 4, another 60cm expected tonight and tomorrow.

Got an awesome local guide from S4 Fieberbrunn since I have no idea of the area and it was a day for local knowledge.
Spent the day skiing trees, avalanche barriers, and ended up in Rosenegg after a rural sojourn through farms., car pickup back.

Crap pics as there was not a lot of stopping. Face shots, trenches, pillows, 30-40 degree slopes best. Epic day.
View from our breakfast table this morning. This was clear yesterday. So... I guess it could a good day up top.
1643734213278.png

1643734981349.png

1643736755961.png

1643735689479.png

I am developing a strong affinity with the bucolic serenity of skiing through European farmland. See Arosa Lenzerheide.
Aside from fence spotting it's not difficult, but it's fun. Breathe that alpine air! And the pervasive and pungent cow smell.
1643738806327.png

1643737993680.jpeg
So much more snow than here, looks amazing. When it’s good like that it’s hard to stop and take photos, I stopped once today really just wanting to get into it. Austria has really had the goods this season so far. Re ffp masks initially it was quite strict here but now it’s pretty slack. I got a bit agitated at a couple of young Danes in a gondola the other day, although mostly we have got these to ourself. Sneezing, coughing no mask! The shuttle buses are also problematic often crowded with inconsistent proper mask wearing, virtually no enforcement.

Reactions: cold wombat

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Clouds are lifting in Fieberbrunn . Level 4 Avi warnings but still much safe terrain to pillage if you know where to go. Lucky you @Zeroz . The Hochalm/ Spieleck offpiste area generally hold up well to similar conditions = a must do . The ridge skiers left of Spieleck chair requires just a small amount of skating / walking out a few hundred metres to a perfect pitch that gradually backs of to a long gorgeous meadow.

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
Thursday - another +30cm overnight, bluebird day. Av 4. Warmish. Most of the area was closed by the storm on on Wednesday.

One of my top 10 days of skiing ever. Snow Jesus provided excellent snow, perfect weather, continuous long powder runs,
All day with Tom the legendary Fieberbrunn guide. Local knowledge essential and I'm also quite keen to not die in an avalanche.

As soon as the Reckmoos lift opened this face was attacked by all. Way bigger than it looks and our run was a huge series of powder turns.
Great snow and lot of those yelps and yodels from the Euro skiers. Slope was done by 12 noon.
1643925477015.png

Then fresh tracks on a bunch of fresh faces. The access was not difficult - if you know what you are doing, which I didn't.
1643926639174.png

Then a longer line.
1643926383199.png

TGR used to have a great thread called 'The Point', where people just posted ski photos, as long as someone was pointing in it.
We should have one too. Whether arm, hand or using poles, we all have inane/interesting snow pointing pics.
The strong instruction here was "Go here. Don't go there".
1643925573209.png

Apparently by law, every post on Austria must have a food pic, location and description.
So: (a) Rosswaldehutte (b) lunch (c) Austrian Elephant balls with spaghetti.
Henceforth to be known as the Great Knerdl Massacre of 2022 after I attacked it with a gusto rarely seen outside hotdog eating contests.
1643925631401.png

Tomorrow the Av level should be back down to 3, we will do some touring to new pointy bits. Lots of fresh tracks still available.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

Must have been a big one if he ended up 2m down even with an airbag.

It is pretty serious out there at the moment! 50 avalanches reported, 5 killed in Spiss in Tirol, 5 injured in Sölden, 2 more in the Zillertal and a tourer caught but uninjured in Lech. Another one survived after being buried for 15 mins in Tulfes. Ski patrol are not happy.

• Wow
Reactions: Whiteman

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
I know that Albona run. You traverse under the Knoderlkopf to a saddle before summiting. That North east slope is well known as a high slide risk. Poor choice - sad . And the Lech one was on skiroute Langerzug

sli1

One of Us
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
sli2 and I have now got out Swiss Covid certificates. How have those that have got the Swiss certificate for use in Europe used them? I.e. have you shown the piece of paper, a digital copy or just flash the swiss Covid cert app when required in EU countries? We will be landing in Munich and driving to Austria.

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
sli2 and I have now got out Swiss Covid certificates. How have those that have got the Swiss certificate for use in Europe used them? I.e. have you shown the piece of paper, a digital copy or just flash the swiss Covid cert app when required in EU countries? We will be landing in Munich and driving to Austria.
It is inconvenient to show you phone all the time.
Print and glue it on a hard paper and put it in your pocket or laminate it.

Reactions: sli1

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
In Switzerland they only care about the qrcode and then some sort of id (passport) that matches the name that the qrcode shows. At least that’s what it was in Geneva.

Reactions: Hyst

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Did you reduce the size from A4? Is this accepted?
You can reduce the qrcode - no problem - you can check readable by a other phone - min was about 3x3 cm.

It was very relaxed up in the ski-area in Paradiski. Nobody stops you if you don's show. - they just need their check numbers.

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
sli2 and I have now got out Swiss Covid certificates. How have those that have got the Swiss certificate for use in Europe used them? i.e. have you shown the piece of paper, a digital copy or just flash the swiss Covid cert app when required in EU countries?
The Swiss Pass has worked perfectly in all the places we have used it - Denmark, Switzerland, Austria and Italy.

Use the Swiss Covid cert app, not paper. It's simple, everyone uses the app, it looks less suspicious, it's not 1992.
Rarely, someone also asks for photo ID to match against the app so we carry a NSW drivers licence. Hotels use your passport.

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
The Swiss Pass has worked perfectly in all the places we have used it - Denmark, Switzerland, Austria and Italy.

Use the Swiss Covid cert app, not paper. It's simple, everyone uses the app, it looks less suspicious, it's not 1992.
Rarely, someone also asks for photo ID to match against the app so we carry a NSW drivers licence. Hotels use your passport.
Standing in lift que small paper is much easier, even in 2022!

LisaQ

Hard Yards
May 16, 2021
In 3 weeks I was never asked to show proof of vaccination in a lift queue in Austria (left 29/1). Phone with Swiss app accepted in accommodation, eating out, hiring ski gear and buying lift passes. Not a hassle, no dramas. Also ok in airport in Munich.

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
Is the following crazy with regards to timeframe and COVID requirements? Or doable? Fly brisbane Friday night 2nd March to dubai to Munich (arrive Sat). Transfer straight to Saalbach for Saturday night stay there 7 nights leave Sat morning 12th early direct transfer munich with mid/late afternoon back to Brisbane Sunday night. I know storms/accident could bugger this up but outside of that if we’re triple vaxxed any issues anyone sees. Managing tight work deadlines and dog looking after issues.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Is the following crazy with regards to timeframe and COVID requirements? Or doable? Fly brisbane Friday night 2nd March to dubai to Munich (arrive Sat). Transfer straight to Saalbach for Saturday night stay there 7 nights leave Sat morning 12th early direct transfer munich with mid/late afternoon back to Brisbane Sunday night. I know storms/accident could bugger this up but outside of that if we’re triple vaxxed any issues anyone sees. Managing tight work deadlines and dog looking after issues.

I think that would be doable - way too short though. I think you need some sort of registration for entry into Germany (consider Vienna as an alternative). It is still not clearly stated whether you need PCR test for Dubai transit although we have had cases reported here where it hasn't been required.

Last edited:

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney

Japan too hard at the moment, but I'd look at Canada or the US instead with only a week. Europe too far.

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Can't fault the dedication!

It is absolutely doable but IMO not worth it - as others have said you're burning 2+ days of travel time for 6 ski days. You'll be halfway through the trip by the time you're over the jetlag...

Goes without saying if you catch covid on day 1 but what are you going to do if you catch covid the day you get back (with the tight work deadline and all)?

Other than that I see no issues.

Looking forward to the TR ;)

Reactions: Hyst

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
It is pretty serious out there at the moment! 50 avalanches reported, 5 killed in Spiss in Tirol, 5 injured in Sölden, 2 more in the Zillertal and a tourer caught but uninjured in Lech. Another one survived after being buried for 15 mins in Tulfes. Ski patrol are not happy.

At Fieberbrunn/Saalbach etc on Friday the big dump of the week was still settling and the temp was +6C (!!) which is shit.
Skiing was good - not Tues or Thurs good - but nice untracked snow easy to get to, however sun-exposed snow was deteriorating.

Av Level (high) 3, which means avalanches can easily be triggered, also the level when most avalanche deaths occur. Be really careful.
Yet we saw some really dumb skiing and boarding. Some people have a death wish.

This is the Wildseeloder. Green is where the Freeride World Tour competitors start. We did an off piste run to see what the area was like.
Snow pics never look steep but this is serous stuff, +50 degrees, and impressive. Note the avalanche debris.
1644187278792.png

Same pic zoomed in. The two red lines are the +1m crowns of avalanches. These are big avalanches.

As we discussed it a (not great) skier came from the left and decided the purple line would be an excellent choice. See his squiggles.
Naturally he was skiing alone, no avalanche gear. 10 mins later a boarder did a similar line. Again, alone, no gear, also no helmet.

Skiing between recent avalanches, alone and without rescue equipment is moronic. Avalanches kill 100 people a year in Europe.
1644187765267.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass